• Visa Information

    Please note: all visa costs will have to be borne by you.

    UK Visa Information

    The need to apply for a UK Visa depends on your nationality and circumstances.

    You do not need to apply for a visa to study in the UK if:

    • you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
    • you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus
    • you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here
    • you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
      (Home Office: UK Border Agency, 2011)

    If you do not fulfil any of the above criteria then you must apply for a Tier 4: (General) Student visa.
    You will need to apply for your Tier 4: (General) Student visa before you leave for Europe and this will involve a visit to the nearest UK embassy or high commission in your country or region. You should then be able to pick up your visa in your home country before departure.

    The UK Border Agency provides comprehensive information on the visa process, including how to apply and what supporting documents you need.

    If you get a place on the course on the programme, the University of Roehampton will send you a CAS (Confirmation for Acceptance for Studies) – which is an electronic document which supports your visa application.

    The University of Roehampton website also has some information on Visas.

  • Norway Visa Information

    It is necessary for nationals of some countries to have a visa before entering Norway. Please check the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website to see if this applies to you.

    If it does apply, then you will need to apply for a visa/residence permit from your home country with a request that the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) send the response to the Norwegian Embassy in London, UK. You can then pick the visa/residence permit up from the Norwegian Embassy in London, during the first study period at the University of Roehampton.

    Residents of some countries will be able to apply for the visa online, whereas others will need to send/deliver an application to the nearest Norwegian Embassy - please see the 'Checklists' section on the UDI website to see what applies to you. In addition to other required documentation (stated on the UDI website), you will need to submit the offer letter for the programme you have received from the University of Roehampton, together with one copy a 'Confirmation Sheet' which will be issued to you by the University of Oslo, Norway. This will facilitate the processing of your application with the UDI.

    When you visit the Norwegian Embassy in London, you must make sure you bring the letter of approval from the Immigration Authorities in Norway, your passport and one photograph.

    In some cases, the Norwegian Embassy you visit in your home country may respond differently to the above request and it may mean that you do not have to go to the Norwegian Embassy in London.

    You will not need to go if:

    a) The Norwegian Embassy in your home country stamped in the visa in your passport for the whole of the study period in Norway (Jan – December)


    b) You have been given an entry visa with instructions to register at the police within seven days of arrival in Norway.

    However, if you do not have either of the above you need to visit the Norwegian Embassy in London.

  • Czech Republic Visa Information

    The need to obtain a Czech Republican (CZ) visa depends on your nationality and circumstances. Check the Czech Foreign Ministry website to find out if you are exempt or not from needing to apply for a visa.

    If you do require a visa and are successful in getting a place on the course, then you will have to apply for a Czech long-term residence permit. Probably you will apply for this at the CZ Embassy whilst you are in London to study at the first location on the programme at the University of Roehampton (Just as in 2012) We have to discuss it with the Ministry of Interior during spring 2013 again - it is the exception for Erasmus Mundus Programme only).

    Charles University, Prague, CZ will provide you with documentation to support your visa application. You will be provided with an invitation letter which contains: confirmation of the purpose of study in the territory of CZ, mention of the medical insurance framework of the Erasmus Mundus programme and if applicable, details of the scholarship and contracts on accommodation in Czech and English Languages.

    Further documents which you will need to bring to the CZ embassy to apply for your visa:

    • travel document (passport)
    • two photographs
    • completed application for long-term residence permit form
    • excerpt from the Penal Register from your home country
    • international payment card and account statements (only if you are on the course on a self-funding basis).

    Further information regarding CZ visas is available on the Czech Foreign Ministry website.

Facebook icon    Twitter icon    Instagram icon    LinkedIn icon © Roehampton University
By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies.     Allow cookies