Why study at Roehampton
- The only MA in London with European Masters in
Translation status and the only audiovisual translation course in the UK to be
part of the EMT Network
- A flexible course which allows students to develop a range of translation skills
- A professionally-oriented course offering students a wide range of contacts in industry in the UK and abroad.
The MA in Audiovisual Translation is an internationally leading course in its field, recognised by the European Commission as a European Masters in Translation.
It aims to address the growing demand for translators with skills in translating audiovisual texts and covers a range of areas, including accessibility (subtitling for the deaf and hard of hearing, audiodescription, live subtitling), multimedia localisation, subtitling, dubbing and voice over for films. Available to monolingual English-speaking students and to students wishing to work between different languages.
More about our postgraduate translation programmes »
This course places significant emphasis on accessibility to the media and offers grounding in translation theory and research methods. Through your work with dedicated software and high-tech industry-standard equipment, you are equipped with the necessary skills to enter the professional market and the knowledge to pursue further research in this field.
- The course is taught by academic staff and by experts from the industry who bring their professional experience into the classroom.
- Some modules will be partially available online.
- Placement opportunities are available.
- The University’s location in London is ideal as the city has established itself as one of the main centres for translation in the world.
Subtitling; dubbing; respeaking; audio description; subtitling for the deaf and the hard-of-hearing; music and translation; lexicography. The course can accommodate a variety of student research interests in the translation discipline.
- Translation theory and practice.
- Subtitling and surtitling.
- Accessibility to the media.
Careers in a broad range of media companies and broadcasters, subtitling companies, translation and localisation providers, and production houses with in-house translation teams.
See here for more career opportunities »