If you excel in sport the University or Roehampton can provide extensive financial and mentoring support so you can study your degree whilst competing at national or international standard in your chosen activity.
We offer scholarships ranging from £500 to £1500 per year depending on your level of performance. This scholarship can be combined with additional support to help you achieve your potential in both sporting performance and in your degree. This includes mentoring, access to the University gym and academic support.
Current and potential 2018 applicants are invited to apply for the Roehampton University Scholarship for Sporting Excellence programme.
The scholarships are available to students who will be studying on any Roehampton course, at any level, undergraduate or postgraduate. In your application you need to demonstrate your commitment to your chosen sport and your ability to combine academic progression with sporting excellence. Your application will be assessed by a panel, chaired by the Sport Roehampton Manager.
Who should apply?
Talented sportswomen and sportsmen who have achieved representative honours at a national or regional level, or have the potential to achieve this level of performance whilst studying at Roehampton. Applications are welcome from any sporting background, but particularly those which have team and individual national student competitions. For a list of such sports, see www.bucs.org.uk.
If you are unsure as to whether this is you, please contact James Ayres, Sport Roehampton Manager for an informal discussion.
Benefits of Scholarships
Your scholarship will be awarded for the duration of your three year degree course at Roehampton (or equivalent if studying part-time). Upon successful registration to the programme you meet with the Sport Roehampton manager for an initial meeting and to agree a scholarship amount and payment details, usually split across 2 payments through the year. Each scholar will receive support to help in achieving performance and academic goals.
What we expect from you in return for your scholarship award
- To represent the University in national student sports competitions as currently organised by the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) where relevant
- To maintain high standards of conduct at all times in the sporting and academic context;
- To be an advocate for the University to external groups and sponsors under the guidance of the Sport Roehampton Manager
- To take part in sporadic sporting photography sessions to be used in marketing publications;
- To work alongside the University departments to support community sport programmes, special events and promotional activity;
- To promote Roehampton University wherever possible, including featuring in Roehampton publications and articles for press release;
- To take part in education liaison activities such as assisting with widening participation events, recruitment fairs and open days (time permitting);
- For annual renewal of your scholarship, you must successfully complete each year of study and progress onto the following year.
How to apply?
Download the application form here.