- You will graduate ‘business ready’, with a clear understanding of how you can add value to employers and with the confidence to manage change.
- One of only two universities in London to offer a retail marketing and management degree.
- This degree covers key areas of retail marketing alongside a thorough grounding in business and management providing the foundation for a successful career in the public or private sectors.
- During your first year of study, your classes will start no earlier than 10am, and your teaching will take place on the same two days each week*. This gives you the time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
This degree will give you an excellent basis for a career in retail marketing and management. It is designed specifically to develop you as a ‘business ready’ graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
You will gain in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environment, including their relationships to society. You will focus on the specialist area of retail, where you will develop diverse expertise in areas such as people management, and advanced marketing. Furthermore, you will gain an understanding of business operations and logistics, finance and accounting, corporate strategy and business ethics. You will also learn how businesses can operate effectively in a culturally diverse environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will develop a range of skills that employers value: the ability to identify and solve business problems and to effectively communicate your ideas. You will develop key attributes such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence and gain skills in research, numeracy and project and people management.
Our academics have a wealth of experience in organisations and business and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management. You will be supported throughout in your personal development by Personal Tutors, who will work with you map your career development and provide learning guidance. You will also have access to our extensive range of employability events, including workshops, expert business speakers – e.g. members of our Advisory Board – and employer exhibitions. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme and student-led Business Society.
You will graduate confident about your personal values, with knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically and with an ongoing passion continuous personal and professional development.
Throughout your three year degree there is a focus on supporting you to develop, track and recognise your own increasing ability to add value to organisations. This is achieved through our Business Readiness module where, working with your Personal Tutor, you will gather evidence of your knowledge, attributes and skills. This will demonstrate to prospective employers how you can play a key role in whichever organisations you work for.
In your first year, you will learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through a process of self-assessment and reflection, and understand your role in a team. You will practice these skills in a variety of team problem-based activities and scenarios. You will also establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and be introduced to key areas of business such as finance, marketing and data analysis.
Your second year will continue to develop your business readiness, and you will gain experience of management, from managing people across different cultures to supply chain and project management. You will also begin to specialise in your chosen pathway, with modules in Retail Theory and Practice, and Consumer Behaviour.
In your third year, you will be able to develop a deeper understanding of key issues and applications within retail, as well as focus on the vital area of branding. You will complement these specialised skills with an understanding of applied corporate strategy, and ethical management principles and practice. You will have a chance to demonstrate your professional development through a dissertation focusing on an area of retail marketing of your choice.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Extended Academic Induction
Business Organisations and Environments in a Global Context
Introduction to Finance and Accounting for Managers
Understanding Self and Others
Introduction to Management
Analysing Information and Data for Problem Solving
Principles of Marketing and Communications in a Digital World
Business Readiness (Year 2)
Managing People and Careers
Operations, Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Processes of Project Management
Retail Theory and Practice
Business Readiness (Year 3)
Business Ethics and Responsible Management
Business and Management Dissertation (Part 1)
Applied Corporate Strategy
Business and Management Dissertation (Part 2) [in Retail Marketing]
Retail Issues and Applications
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
Graduates are equipped to work in retail buying, marketing, online retailing, and a range of management roles in different sectors.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.