Accommodation FAQs

Click on the questions below to get your answer.

Jump to a section:

If you have any further questions that aren't covered here or if something doesn't make sense, please don't hesistate to contact the Accommodation Office on +44 (0)20 8392 3166 (or just dial 3166 if you're using a landline phone on campus). Alternatively you can email the Accommodation Office:

Applying for accommodation

When can I apply for accommodation?

If you are starting in September 2022, you can apply for accomodation from 24 January. Applications are already open for students starting in January 2022 and April 2022. You can find out more about applications here.

Who counts as a ‘new student’?

Anyone applying through Admissions to the University of Roehampton for the first time, including undergraduate, postgraduate, PGCE, study abroad, exchange and foundation students. We also treat students on a foundation or extended degree course as a new student in the first year of their actual degree. 

Who counts as a continuing student/returner?

Any student that is currently studying at the University of Roehampton and has been previously registered on our system. We treat students on a foundation or extended degree course as a new student in the first year of their actual degree.

Can I apply for accommodation if Roehampton is my insurance choice?

No. If you are an undergraduate students, you will need to make us your firm (1st) choice before you can apply for accommodation. 

Can I apply for accommodation if I come through Clearing?

Yes. You will be provided with information on how to do this at the time. Where possible we will try to find you on-campus accommodation.

Can I visit the halls of residence?

Room viewings are available during University open days or Campus Tours. More information on these are available at:

Or please view our virtual tour

Virtual Tour

How do I apply for accommodation?

You can apply online once you have received a firm offer from the University of Roehampton and you know your student ID number.

Who do I contact if I have trouble applying?

If you are having trouble completing your online application, please contact Accommodation Services (020 8392 3166 or email for assistance.

When will I find out if I have a room?

All room offers will be sent out in the summer, after your place at the University of Roehampton is confirmed.

My course is only for one term/semester – can I still apply?

Yes. Please make a note that your course is only for one term/semester on the online application form under ‘any other information’. If we are unable to accommodate you on campus, we will direct you to our Off Campus team for assistance in finding accommodation in the local area.

Can I apply to live in the same flat/halls with friends?

Yes, you have the option when you apply to give the names of friends you would like to move in with. If we have space, we will aim to accommodate you together.

What happens if I apply for accommodation and then change my mind?

Please contact us and we will amend your application option on our system. If you decide you do not want a room, please let us know as soon as possible so that another student can take your place.

What happens if I accept an accommodation offer but choose not to come to Roehampton?

If you choose not to take up your place on a course at Roehampton, you are not obliged to take up your room, and there will be no cost to you.

What should I do if I do not receive an acknowledgement to my application?

If you do not receive a confirmation email once you have completed your application, it is important you contact us so we can check your application has been recorded correctly on our system.

How do I receive my accommodation offer?

Your offer will be sent out via email to the address provided by you. When you apply for accommodation, use a permanent email address rather than a school or college one. Please make sure you check your email regularly, as you need to reply within a week. The offer will include the room details, costs, and dates of residence. You should check details carefully including the start and end date.

How do I accept my offer?

You will be asked to read and accept the terms and conditions online as well as pay a £250 deposit and set up a payment plan. If you have a conditional offer from the University of Roehampton, and do not receive the required grades, your deposit will be returned in full.

Does it matter if I do not reply to my offer immediately?

You will be given one week in which to respond to your accommodation offer. If we do not receive confirmation of your acceptance within that time then your offer will be withdrawn.

What if I do not like the room I have been offered?

We have a limited number of rooms and although we will try to offer students their first preference, this is not always possible. After the start of term, when some rooms become available, it may be possible to change your room.

What happens if I do not want to accept the room offered but still want to be considered for another room?

If you refuse your first offer, we will do everything we can to accomodate your request. However, we cannot guarantee being able to offer you any other room and you will may be placed on a waiting list.

I am an international student – will I be placed in accommodation with other students from my country?

We integrate students from the UK and overseas, which enriches your experience of living in halls.

Which halls tend to be the most popular?

This varies each year but the en suite rooms are usually the most popular and are therefore sometimes oversubscribed.

Do rooms become available throughout the year?

Yes. This means if you live locally and want to commute to your classes in the first few weeks of term, you do have a chance of being offered a room later in the term.

What is the link between accommodation and the Colleges?

Our accommodation is split over the four colleges that make up the University of Roehampton.  You will need to know which College you would like to live on and your preferred room type when applying for accommodation.

Can I apply for accommodation in more than one College?

No. However, you can indicate if your room type preference (e.g. en suite) should take priority over your College preference and we will do our best to allocate you a suitable room, which may be in another College.

Are halls mixed or single gender?

The majority of halls are mixed gender, but you can request single-gender accommodation and we will try to accommodate your request. You will need to state on your accommodation application if you want single gender  accommodation.

Living on campus

What should I bring with me?

For bedroom :
Duvet, pillows and bed linen
Coat hangers
Bedside or desk lamp
Washing powder – laundry facilities can be found across the campus

For en suite bathroom:
Bathroom and toilet cleaner
Toilet rolls

For the kitchen:
Saucepan and frying pan
Cooking utensils and cutlery
Plate, bowl, mug and drinking glass
Tea towel and dishcloth
Washing-up liquid

What is provided?

Bedrooms will contain a bed, mattress and mattress cover, desk with drawers, desk chair, curtains, wardrobe, shelving and a waste bin.

Kitchens will contain a microwave, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, hoover, and a mop and bucket.

You can purchase bedroom packs and kitchen packs on the estore.

Will I have to pay council tax?

Accommodation occupied only by full-time students is exempt from Council Tax. Therefore, if you live in university halls or live off-campus with other full-time students, you will not get a council tax bill.

Can I bring a car on campus?

100 spaces on campus will be reserved for students on a first come, first served basis (by collecting a permit). You can find out more information about parking on campus here:

Can I bring a bicycle?

Yes. We encourage this environmentally friendly means of transport and we have numerous bike shelters and stands on each campus, including secure storage units which can only be accessed with a Roehampton ID card. Please note that bicycles are not allowed into the halls.

Can I bring a pet?

No. Students are requested to notify the University in advance if an assistance animal is needed at the residence as adjustments may need to be made to accommodate it.

Are halls mixed or single gender?

The majority of halls are mixed gender, but you can request single-gender accommodation and we will try to accommodate your request. You must state on your accommodation application if you want single gender  accommodation.

Can I have a fridge in my room?

No. However, under exceptional circumstances, requests will be considered if you need to keep important medication in a fridge. Please include this in your accommodation application and be aware you will need to supply medical evidence.

Can I smoke in my accommodation?

No. Smoking in any University building is forbidden. If you are a smoker you must respect the University regulations and smoke outdoors, away from the accommodation entrances and windows.

Will I have an internet connection in my room?

Yes. All on-campus accommodation rooms offer internet access via both Ethernet and Wi-Fi. The costs are included in your accommodation fee.

Are landline phones available?

There are landline phones in each hall, which can be used to make internal calls within the University.

Is there anywhere I can store my belongings before I move in?

We are unable to offer room for you to store any belongings before you move in.

How many people will I share with?

This will depend on where you are living. Our newer flats house between 3-11 people. We also have older style accommodation that houses 17-28 people.

What does ‘en suite’ mean?

This means that each room includes a private bathroom with a shower, toilet and washbasin.

What does ‘semi-en suite’ mean?

This means a private shower and wash basin are available in each room but the toilets are shared. These rooms are only available in Newman (in Digby Stuart College).

What does ‘shared facilities’ or standard room mean?

This means you share bathroom facilities with other students. All standard bedrooms include a washbasin.

In shared facilities accommodation how many people share the toilet and bathroom?

In shared-facility flats there are on average seven students to two toilets and two baths/showers.

What does ‘self-catered accommodation’ mean?

All our accommodation is self-catered. This means you prepare your own meals in the kitchens within your accommodation. Alternatively, there are catering facilities across the University where you can purchase meals.

How many people share the kitchen facilities?

This depends on which block you are living in. Many of our flats average around six students to a kitchen, but in the larger halls, kitchens can be shared by up to fourteen.

What is the role of the Flat Rep?

Each residence for first-years has a Flat Rep, a more experienced student who helps all members of the flat to learn to live together constructively, understand College and University procedures and find out where help is available. Flat Reps act as a liaison between students, the Students' Union, the Colleges and Accommodation Services.

What is the role of the College Warden?

College Warden live on campus. They are there to support students with problems or concerns that arise out of hours. Security will contact the Warden on call when it is necessary.

What are the cleaning arrangements when living in halls?

Bedrooms are not cleaned during the academic year. Students are responsible for keeping their own rooms clean (including bathrooms in en-suite rooms). Vacuum cleaners are provided along with mop and bucket and dustpan and brush. Students must keep the kitchens tidy and are responsible for their own washing up and cleaning of the oven, grill, microwave and fridge/freezer. Kitchens in accommodation will be cleaned weekly. Shared bathrooms, hallways and staircases will be cleaned each weekday.

All rubbish will be removed daily Monday to Friday by the cleaners. At the weekend, students should remove rubbish. All bedrooms will be inspected at least once a term (students will be contacted in advance).


Accommodation financial information

How do I contact the Accommodation Finance staff?

Tel: +44 (0)20 8392 3110
Or visit us in the main Accommodation Office in Richardson Building, Digby Stuart College.

What is the deposit?

You will be asked to pay a deposit of £250 deposit online to secure your room offer. We accept debit cards and the major credit cards except American Express, Diners Club and JCB.

What if I'm unable to pay a deposit?

If you have a problem paying the deposit online you need to contact Accommodation Finance as soon as possible or you will jeopardise your place in halls.

How and when do I pay my accommodation fees?

See the fees page.

Will I get a discount if I pay my fees in full?

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer a discount to students who pay in full.

What if I cannot pay my accommodation fees in three instalments?

Please contact Accommodation Finance and we will be able to advise you on alternative instalment options.

I will not have received my loan payment by moving-in day – will this be a problem?

We know that students will not receive their loans until they have completed their enrolment with the University, which may not happen until they have been living on campus for up to two weeks. With this in mind we delay the first payment.

What if my loan payment is delayed?

If your loan payment is delayed you need to notify Accommodation Finance as soon as possible and we will delay processing your payment. You will need to provide us with a copy of your student loan agreement so we can verify when you will receive your loan.

I don't have a bank account – how will I pay?

We advise that you open a bank account. You or your sponsor will need to provide bank card details in order to accept your offer of accommodation. If you are receiving a student loan, you will need to open a bank account before coming to University so that the student loan can be paid into it.

What happens if I pay late?

If you know you cannot meet the payment date, you must contact us so we can discuss options with you.

What happens if I cannot pay my accommodation fees?

You need to contact us to explain why you are unable to pay. If your loan is late or you are having financial problems, the Accommodation Finance Office can advise you on the best way forward, so you do not jeopardise your place in halls.
If you think you might have a problem paying, tell either your Student Welfare Officer or the Accommodation Finance Office immediately and we will work with you to see what can be done to help you. Do not hide from the problem as it will not go away unless faced and we will be able to take a more lenient approach if we are aware of your situation.

What happens if I do not pay my accommodation fees?

Fees are due at the beginning of each term (the first term's fees are delayed to allow time for registration). You are at risk of being evicted if you do not pay. Although we recognise that students sometimes have difficulties in paying their fees, we expect that you will make every attempt to pay. Students who fail to notify us of difficulties or who make no attempt to meet agreed payment plans will have their debt passed to our Credit Control Department who will begin the debt recovery procedure.

Can I move out before the contract ends?

Unless you are on an international semester contract, a contract is for the full academic year. If you move out, you will still be liable to pay the rent until the room can be filled by another suitable student. Please refer to section five of the Terms and Conditions for occupation of accommodation.

How do I get my deposit back?

If your deposit was paid online, then your deposit will be returned online. If your deposit was not paid online then you will be sent a deposit return form during your last term. You must fill in this form and return it to the Accommodation Finance Office. Failure to do so may mean that you do not get your deposit back.

When do I get my deposit back?

Your deposit will be returned within 28 days of the end of your accommodation agreement.

Will I get my deposit back in full?

Your room will be inspected at the end of your residency and if any damage is discovered it will be charged against your deposit. You will be refunded your full deposit if you leave at the end of the contracted period and there are no outstanding fees or charges.

Do I need insurance for my belongings?

As a student living in halls at the University of Roehampton, your contents are automatically insured through our partnership student insurance company, Endsleigh. For the exact level of cover provided, see here. Students living in halls sometimes wish to insure valued possessions such as a laptop or mobile phone away from their room wherever they take them. In addition, Endsleigh can also insure you if you are living in off-campus accommodation.


Off-campus accommodation

How can I find off-campus accommodation?

We provide an online property search facility with Studentpad. This allows you to search for properties and rooms available for rent in the local area from Landlords that have agreed to the University's Code of Standards. There is also a Messageboard so that you can communicate with (i) students who are advertising a room available in their student houseshare; (ii) students who are looking for accommodation; and (iii) students looking for flatmates.

What types of properties are available off-campus?

There are a range of property options advertised on Studentpad, which are available in the local area:

Lodgings are when you rent a room in the same property as the landlord - these tend to be more homely and quieter. Rent is inclusive of bills and the contract period can be flexible.

Shared houses/flats – some will be marked as ‘property to be let as a whole’. This means if it is a 4 bed property, you need to be in a group of 4 to view it. All other shared houses/flats can be approached by individuals. Rent does not include bills (budget approx. £15 per week each for bills). Contracts are for 12 months.

Hostel – Struan House, available for women only. You can book for a minimum period of 2 weeks or for as long as you like.

What help can the University Accommodation Office provide?

Our Off-Campus Accommodation Officer can support you in finding accommodation or with any questions or problems regarding your tenancy. Please contact, 020 8392 4451.

What is a guarantor?

A Guarantor must be an adult who lives and works in the UK. Your Guarantor will sign a letter agreeing to pay any rent or bills that you do not pay during the tenancy. Landlords and agents will ask each student to provide a guarantor. If you do not have a guarantor, please ask the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer at the University for advice.

What Fees can be charged?

The Tenant Fee Act 2019 banned most admin fees associated with tenancies.
Landlords/Agents can only charge the following fees:

  • Late payment of rent: you can only be charged a late payment fee once you’re 14 days late with rent. The late payment fee must be mentioned in your agreement and must not be more than 3% APR above the Bank of England base rate.
  • Lost keys or fobs: you can be charged the reasonable cost of a replacement if it is mentioned in your tenancy agreement.
  • Ending your tenancy early: if a replacement tenant is found the landlord/agent can charge you reasonable costs incurred to change the tenancy, but the amount is capped at £50. If a landlord/agent charges more than £50 they must provide evidence of the costs incurred and that they are reasonable.

    If you leave your tenancy early without having a replacement tenant then the landlord/agent is entitled to recover any loss of income (rent) from you to the end of the fixed term tenancy.

No other fees are allowed. Landlords/agents cannot charge you for:

  • Referencing fees
  • Administration fees
  • Check-out or check-in fees
  • Credit and immigration checks

What is a holding deposit?

A holding deposit is a sum of money, the equivalent of no more than 1 week’s rent, given to a landlord/agent to reserve a property when you are absolutely sure that you want to rent it. The holding deposit ensures that the landlord/agent will not view or market the property to anyone else. A Holding Deposit is not a fee. The money belongs to you unless you withdraw from renting the property in which case the landlord/agent is entitled to retain it. Most students agree to the Holding Deposit being put towards their first month’s rent or Security Deposit. For example: rent = £475 per calendar month (£109.62 per week). Holding Deposit of £109.62 is deducted from the first month’s rent: £475 - £109.62 = £365.38 to pay.

What is a security deposit?

A security deposit is usually a sum equal to one month's rent or up to a maximum of five weeks rent, and is held against breakages, dilapidations beyond reasonable wear and tear, unpaid bills, cleaning costs.
At the end of the tenancy, a ‘check-out’ is performed and you must be informed in writing if any deductions are going to be taken from your deposit so that you have the opportunity to dispute them if applicable.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, the landlord must protect the deposit in one of the government recognised schemes. By law, within 30 days after your tenancy commences, you should receive ‘Prescribed Information’ which should give the following:

  • Name and contact details of the scheme
  • Contact details for the scheme's dispute resolution service
  • How to apply for the deposit's release
  • What to do if the landlord can't be contacted at the end of the tenancy
  • How the deposit is protected
  • The address of the property and the amount of deposit paid
  • The landlord's or letting agency's name and contact details
  • The name and contact details of any third party that has paid the deposit
  • Items or services covered by the deposit
  • The circumstances under which the landlord will be able to retain some or all of the deposit
  • What to do if there is a dispute over how much deposit should be returned

This is one of the most important documents. Make sure you have it. If you do not receive this information 30 days after your tenancy begins, please see the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer.

How is rent paid?

Rent is paid on a monthly or termly basis, in advance. You will be asked to set up a Standing Order so that the rent leaves your bank account every month on the same date that you moved in.

If your rent is advertised on a weekly basis, to calculate the monthly figure, multiply the weekly rent by 52 and then divide by 12 for your monthly rent (there are more than 4 weeks in most months).

What are your obligations under an Individual Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

This is a tenancy agreement that you sign and the landlord signs – there are no other tenants named on the tenancy agreement, even though you are probably sharing communal areas with other tenants. Your Security Deposit covers your bedroom, and your share of the communal areas which are ‘joint and several’ with the other tenants. At the end of your tenancy, if damage is found in your bedroom, the full cost would be taken from your deposit only. If damage was found in one of the communal areas, the cost would be split between all the tenants and you would be charged for your share. Very often these tenancies are inclusive of bills; however, if it is not, you are responsible for paying your share of the bills together with the other tenants in the household. The big advantage to having an Individual Tenancy Agreement is that if another tenant leaves and a replacement is not found, you are not responsible for paying additional rent.

What are your obligations under a Joint and Several Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

This is an agreement where all the tenants are named and all sign along with the landlord. Joint and several means that you are all responsible for the rent and returning the property to the landlord in a satisfactory condition at the end of the tenancy. For example, if 5 students rent a house and during the tenancy 1 pulls out, if a replacement cannot be found, the landlord has the right to claim the 5th person’s rent from the remaining 4 tenants.

The same applies at the end of the tenancy if 1 tenant has gone into rent arrears and no longer has a Security Deposit, and damage is found in the property, the costs will be deducted from the 4 remaining deposits along with any other outstanding rent.

Landlords usually claim unpaid rent from a student’s guarantor, but if unsuccessful, they have the right to turn to any of the other “joint and several” tenants.

Can you use your security deposit to pay your final month's rent?

No. In exceptional circumstances you might be able to, but you must get permission from your landlord in writing.

Should you have a shared bank account for rent and bills?

Bills should have all the tenants names on them. On the day you move into the property, take meter readings for Gas, Electricity and Water if applicable. Make sure you phone the meter readings through and put all your names on the bill. On the day you leave the property, take meter readings again and phone them through. It is wise to contact your utility companies 1 month prior to leaving to give them notice that you are leaving – some companies require a notice period to end the contract.

Are you exempt from paying council tax?

Full-time students are exempt from Council Tax. Exemption is granted from the 1st day to the last day of your course. You must apply to the Council Tax Office for exemption on an annual basis starting from the 1st day of each academic year.  Part-time students have to pay Council Tax.

How to apply for council tax exemption?

First you must register with the Council online so that a bill can be sent to your address. Make sure you also complete any online forms for exemption. If you are living within the SW15 area go to It takes 10-14 days for the bill to arrive so make sure you register either a few days before or after you move into the property.

Once the bill arrives, you can download your Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the Student Portal, insert your Council Tax Account Number on it, and then submit it to the council. The Council Tax Exemption Certificate must be completed by each student in your household. Wandsworth Council:

If the Council Tax Exemption Certificate is not online, please email to request it.

You are only exempt from Council Tax when the Council write to you confirming your exemption.

To avoid penalties, be organised: complete and send your forms off immediately.