Employer Engagement with the Roehampton Business School
Access to Student and Graduate Talent
Roehampton Business School connects businesses with our values-led and work-ready students and graduates, equipped with the knowledge, critical insight and behaviours to help businesses to solve problems, work on strategic projects and move your organisation forward.
We work with you to find tailored solutions to your recruitment needs and are keen to develop relationships with organisations who can offer placements, internships, consultancy projects and graduate roles for our students.
At the heart of our business ready approach sits a range of work-focused learning activities which provide our students with practical business experience to complement their university studies that in turn make a valuable contribution to your organisation and help you grow your business.
- Undergraduate Placement Year – all undergraduate students are encouraged to complete a placement between the second and final year of their degree with placements typically lasting between 9 to 12 months working on a full-time basis.
- Postgraduate Professional Placements - built into our postgraduate MBA and MSc programmes are integrated placements where students complete two semesters (30 weeks) of full-time work following successful completion of the first year of study.
- Consultancy Projects – undergraduates (working in groups) and postgraduates (working individually) work on strategic business projects (running for approximately 12 weeks) in partnership with your business and guided by Roehampton Business School academic staff.
- Recruitment – our employer portal is free of charge and allows you to advertise your vacancies for job opportunities and graduate vacancies.
- Employer Talks & Events – we hold a variety of events each year that allow your business to promote your brand through industry insight presentations and skills workshops (that can be embedded in teaching or as a standalone event), employer spotlights, and career fairs.
- Career Mentoring – businesses and professional can help support the next generation of talent through our mentoring scheme which matches students and recent graduates with an experienced professional to receive one-to-one career advice, support and guidance.
There are also other opportunities to collaborate, including Placements and Internship across all departments at the University of Roehampton.
Offering opportunities to Roehampton Business School students has numerous benefits for your business, both in the short and long term:
- Skilled and prepared students. Students will have a sound knowledge of their field of study and will be trained in key workplace skills before they start so that they can bring new skills and theory into your organisation and quickly add value.
- Fill a skills gap on a project. Students can introduce fresh perspectives and approaches to your team or organisation, devote time to new projects, and cost-effectively test ideas.
- Employee development. Your current employees can benefit from having a student in the team: they can learn about current research/theories in their field, be inspired by new ideas and enthusiasm and develop their own people management skills through delegation and mentoring.
- Graduate recruitment. Often students on placement, or who have engaged with employers on a consultancy project, prove to be a great fit for the company and this can save on future recruitment costs.
- Access to our leading research staff. Working with our students means you will also be able to benefit from engaging with our team of global expert staff.
- Enhance your brand. As an organisation seen to be employing placement students or offering consultancy projects, you can increase your reputation as an employer of choice, and as a company that is willing to invest in future leaders.
A member of our Placements Team will work closely with you to identify a solution to your business needs and help connect you to the right student or graduate. We support employers through the entire process, including:
- Connecting you with relevant Business School academic staff
- Developing project specifications and job descriptions, advertising and promotion, onboarding and health and safety
- In-placement support including regular interactions
All students, whether on a placement or a consultancy project, will be assigned a Roehampton Business School academic supervisor, who will guide them and act as a key point of contact for the supervisor in your organisation.
Roehampton Business School students receive an education designed to support and stretch them to become business ready by the time they graduate. We prepare our students for placement and consultancy projects with a series of information sessions and professional development workshops that enable them to:
- Develop their self-awareness, build their confidence and resilience
- Work effectively in diverse teams
- Plan and evaluate tasks that deliver results to a high standard and in an ethical and sustainable way
- Understand the activities that are key to job performance and how these fit into an organisation’s overall goals
The placements and consultancy projects could fall into a wide range of roles and areas of expertise, including human resources, marketing and communications, accounting and finance, project management and entrepreneurship. Before you consider engaging with our students, here are some key features to be aware of for placements and consultancy projects.
- Your organisation will need to provide sufficient line management support to ensure the students receive the necessary training and regular feedback on their performance.
- The work should be meaningful so that the student can engage with practice in the ‘real’ workplace.
- The student becomes a member of your organisation for the duration of the placement and is treated as an employee.
- Organisations would need to identify a project supervisor who can provide the initial consultancy brief to the student(s), act as the main point of contact for the duration of the project and facilitate access to other people within the organisation to gather key information where required.
- Some example topics:
- Feasibility studies or creation of a development plan for a new project or idea
- Developing innovative new income streams
- A review of Corporate Social Responsibility policy
- An employee retention plan
Please contact our Placement Team via email (email@example.com) to get more detailed information on programme requirements, processes and discuss the best way to support your business.
"The Roehampton Placement Scheme gave us the opportunity to access a pool of talented graduates, who were able to immediately contribute with new ideas and established learning. We were delighted with the quality and professionalism of our placement student and I would recommend this programme to any business looking to employ skilled graduates into their team for project or permanent work."
"The Roehampton Placement Scheme gave me the opportunity to interview and access a pool of talented local graduates. We were delighted with the quality and professionalism of our placement student so much so that we have now employed our graduate in a permanent role. I would recommend this programme to any business looking to employ skilled graduates into their team for project or permanent work."
"We see offering a Professional Placement, or Consultancy Project to our students as a key to helping them develop their business readiness thus building the next generation of talent. But we also see this as a mutual learning experience for organisations, students and colleagues in the Business School. We look forward to starting this journey with you."