Coronavirus: Support for students in employment

Students who have part-time work alongside their programme

The following advice may help students who have lost their job or been told to stay away from their place of work due to the outbreak of Coronavirus. If you have been furloughed, this means that you are kept on the payroll, even though you aren’t currently working.

  • Ask your employer about the Government scheme for furloughed workers.
  • If you are ill, or self-isolating, check with your employer to confirm their policy regarding sick pay and time off for illness. If you are not entitled to your normal pay, you may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. You should normally claim Statutory Sick Pay through your employer.
  • If you are a student parent, student with a disability or a part time student and have lost your job, you may be able to claim welfare benefits whilst you study. This is a complex area and will depend on your individual circumstances.

Full-Time Students

There are limited situations in which full-time students can claim benefits. You may be entitled to benefits as a full- time student if you are:

  • A lone parent (benefits differ depending on the age of your youngest child);
  • Living with a long-term illness or disability;
  • In receipt of Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) for deafness;
  • Part of a couple, both of whom are full-time students, and have care of a child under 16 (or under 19 in full-time education).

Part-Time Students

Students who started their course on a part-time basis have the same access to benefits as non-students, but a change in circumstances can still affect your benefits, for example, if your income changes or you change your hours at work to fit with your studies.

The weblinks below detail the main list of benefits available and their criteria;

International students

Statutory Sick Pay is not regarded as a 'public fund' for immigration purposes so it is possible for international students who meet the eligibility requirements to make a claim. Please note most other welfare benefits are regarded as 'public funds' and students on a Tier 4 visa or any other visa with a 'no recourse to public funds' or 'no public funds' condition should not submit a claim for them. Take a look at a list of public funds.