Pre-sessional English Courses
Delivered in partnership with QA Higher Education Pathway Centre, the 5, 10 and 15 week pre-sessional English courses are designed to help you to get the most from your studies at Roehampton.
The pre-sessional course will help you to:
- develop your academic English so that you can cope better with university-level study
- develop your study skills and understand what is expected of you as a student in the UK higher education system
What will I study?
- Essays: using reading in your writing, organisation, critical and analytical skills
- Academic vocabulary and grammar development
- Seminars: presentation and discussion based on your reading
- Lectures: understanding the argument, note-taking, taking an active role
- Listening and reading: understanding key ideas in an academic context
When is it, how much does it cost, and what level of English do I need?
|Course, dates and fees||Students who need to reach IELTS 6 with 5.5 in all sections: Most Undergraduate students||Students who need to reach IELTS 6.5 with 5.5 in all sections: Most Postgraduate MA/MSc/MBA students||Students who need to reach IELTS 7 with 6.5 in all sections: Research students and some Masters e.g. MA Therapies|
5 week course
|UKVI IELTS:5.5 with no less than 5.0 in any section||UKVI IELTS: 6 with no less than 5.0 in any section||
UKVI IELTS: 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing and 6 in other sections
10 week course
|UKVI IELTS: 5 with no less than 4.0 in any section and no less than 4.5 in writing||UKVI IELTS: 5.5 with no less than 5.0 in any section||
UKVI IELTS: 6 with no less than 6 in writing and 5.5 in other sections
15 week course
UKVI IELTS: 4.5 overall with no less than 4.0 in any band and no less than 4.5 in writing
UKVI IELTS: 5 with no less than 4.0 in any band and no less than 4.5 in writing
This table shows the minimum length of course you need to do. If you are worried about reaching the level you need in this time, for example if you find learning English particularly difficult, you should consider taking a longer course.
PLEASE NOTE: All students wishing to study a pre-sessional English course must ensure that they take a UKVI IELTS test.
What is included?
- 24 hours' tuition per week from highly-qualified lecturers in English for Academic Purposes - 4 days per week with one independent study day between 09.00 and 17.00.
- Weekly individual tutorials to work on your specific needs in writing
- Teaching in small classes - usually 8 to 16 students - maximum group size 18
- All books and materials for your classes
- Access to the University Library, languages centre and 24-hour computer suites.
- Social programme
The University has a range of procedures and regulations covering student fees: Student Fee Payment & Enrolment Regulations 2019/20
What is the social programme?
Outside your course we organise trips to famous London attractions to help you get to know the city and spend some fun time together as a group.
Can I get accommodation?
Roehampton halls of residence on our beautiful parkland campus are close to University facilities and only a short ride from central London. As a Roehampton student you'll be able to live in halls of residence in rooms specially allocated for presessional students. Living on campus lets you be near your classes and the friends you'll meet on the programme. You'll also benefit from all of the University's facilities, including internet access in every room, laundry, gym and 24-hour security.
How do I apply for the course?
If you have already applied for an undergraduate or postgraduate programme you do not have to complete another application form for the Pre-Sessional English programme. Please simply email our international admissions team and inform us that you wish to be considered for the pre-sessional English programme. Admissions will then assess your eligibility for the programme and issue you with a formal offer.
How do I pay for the Pre-sessional course?
You can pay online in our e-store.
If you have any further enquiries please contact us at:
University of Roehampton
London SW15 5PJ
Tel: +44 (0)20 8392 3314
The Pathway College is a partnership between the University of Roehampton and QA Higher Education – a UK pathway provider.