- Partnerships with over 150 schools in south London and the surrounding areas.
- Learning supported by experienced academics at one of the highest rated initial teacher education providers in the UK.
- The qualification gained is a PGCE which is recognised internationally and you will also get a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status. Successful completion will give you 60 Masters level credits, which can be carried forward to further study.
- We are ranked as the top university in London for Education (Complete University Guide 2020).
What is School Direct?
School Direct is a government-led initiative that seeks to place schools at the centre of Initial Teacher Education (ITE). Working with University of Roehampton, our partner schools take a leading role in recruiting trainee teachers and in designing and delivering the training programme.
There are two possible routes if you are thinking of training via School Direct:
School Direct Training Programme (salaried)
This is open to high quality graduates. Applications are made on UCAS to individual schools or alliances of schools. The schools pay a salary based on that of an unqualified teacher but there is no government bursary. Trainees carry out training at Roehampton and within their school alliance.
School Direct Training Programme (tuition fee)
This route is open to all high quality graduates. The trainee can receive a bursary from the government at a level determined by the subject/phase of training and the trainee's degree class. Trainees carry out training at Roehampton and within their school alliance.
Both routes lead to a PGCE with 60 Masters credits on successful completion. There will be three assignments across the year, each leading to 20 Masters level credits. You will spend at least 120 days in school over the year long programme, and will also attend classes at Roehampton. Your main placement will be in the school that you have applied to and there will also be a shorter placement in another school which will add breadth to the experience.
You will be visited in school by a university tutor, and you will have a mentor in school. The training at Roehampton will enable you to reflect upon your practice within the broad context of educational theory so that you will feel equipped to teach in any school.
Primary Subjects offered
Primary with Maths
Secondary Subjects offered
Art and Design
Design and Technology
Modern Foreign Languages
School Partners 19/20
- Avenue Primary School (Sutton)
- Chesterton Primary School (Wandsworth)
- Dunraven alliance (Streatham)
- Essendine Primary School (Maida Vale)
- Kingston School Direct
- Teach Wimbledon
- West London Teaching Schools Alliance (Hammersmith, Fulham and Chelsea)
- Lambeth Teaching Schools Alliance
- Montpelier School (West Teaching School Alliance)
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary School (Paradigm Teaching School)
School Partners 19/20
- Kingston School Direct - lead school Coombe School for Girls (New Malden, Kingston)
- South East Croydon Learning Alliance - lead school Riddlesdown Collegiate (South Croydon)
- West London Teaching School Alliance - lead school Sacred Heart High School (Hammersmith)
- Teach Wimbledon - lead school Ursuline High School (Merton and Wimbledon)
- Richmond Secondary Teaching School Alliance - lead school Waldegrave School for Girls (Twickenham and Richmond)
- Dunraven School
- St Bonaventure's