- Develop an in-depth understanding of the relationships between the theoretical concepts and current techniques used in Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Gain professional level experience in Sport and Exercise Psychology assessment and support techniques.
- Learn from experienced BPS Chartered, HCPC registered Sport and Exercise Psychologists, and internationally recognised researchers.
- Complete your own empirical research dissertation and develop the understanding and skills necessary to progress to further study at MPhil or PhD level or further professional training (e.g., BASES Sport & Exercise Psychology Accreditation Route).
Develop an in-depth understanding of the psychology underpinning sport performance, physical activity and well-being as well as acquire essential skills to succeed as a practitioner or as an academic in Sport and Exercise Psychology.
This is our non-BPS-accredited programme, meaning those who do not hold at least a 2:2 in a BPS accredited undergraduate degree are eligible to apply. We also offer a BPS-accredited MSc Psychology of Sport and Exercise which you can find out about here.
Our innovative programme will give you a thorough theoretical, research informed grounding in sport and exercise psychology. You will learn the relationships between theoretical concepts and practical techniques used in assessment and support, allowing you to develop the psychological skills used by practicing Sport and Exercise Psychologists.
At Roehampton you’ll learn about the demands of working in a variety of different sports settings, how to effectively form practitioner-client relationships, the different approaches to applied practice, and you will explore the key factors that impact sports performance and well-being, including motivation, self-confidence, stress, attention, and physical activity.
Uniquely, our programme focuses on developing your identity as an academic and practitioner. Whether you want to continue your studies to a PhD or as a qualified Sport and Exercise Psychologist, employability skills are a key part of the programme. You will learn from those currently working in the industry as freelance consultants and larger organisations, as well as those working in research and academic settings.
In order to enrol onto the Sport and Exercise Psychology Accreditation Route (SEPAR) offered by the British Association of Sport & Exercise Science (BASES), students must complete an external module (The Open University: 'Investigating Psychology 2' module) in addition to this programme. Eligibility information for SEPAR and the Open University module can be found here.
- Explore the impact of physical activity and sedentary behaviour on mental and physical health, as well as the challenges associated with increasing physical activities.
- Learn how to form practitioner-client relationships and conduct intake assessments, as well as how to implement, monitor and evaluate interventions.
- Gain a critical appreciation for various social processes and individual differences that influence sports performance.
- Understand the professional skills you will need in your chosen career, learning more about the complex professional, ethical, and legal issues required for professional practice, attend employability workshops, develop a business plan, learn about marketing and media as well as how to write a PhD proposal.
- Develop a critical awareness of the principles and practice of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Complete your research dissertation project in an area of sport and exercise psychology that interests you.
Here are examples of modules we currently offer:
- MSc Research Dissertation
- Psychology of Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing
- Approaches to Psychological Support
- Research Methods
- Application of Psychological Support
- Professional Practice in Sport Psychology
- Psychology of Sport and Performance
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Subject to further training, such as Sport and Exercise Psychology Accreditation Route (SEPAR) offered by BASES, you could become a HCPC registered Sport and Exercise Psychologist working with sports teams, sport organisations, or individual athletes.
You could also continue your own research at PhD level with the potential to enter a career as an academic.
Employability is a key part of the programme at Roehampton. Our teaching and initiatives, including guest speakers, networking opportunities and entrepreneurship workshops will ensure you are prepared to succeed in your chosen career.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.