- You will explore approaches to creativity, innovation and entrepreneurial thinking that will help you to set up and run your own business
- Develop the knowledge and skills that employers and entrepreneurs value. You will graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations
- During your first year of study, your classes will start no earlier than 10am, and your teaching will take place on the same two days each week*. This gives you the time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments
- We offer all students the opportunity to apply for a one-year, paid work placement during their degree
- This programme is dual accredited to a CMI qualification. Upon successful completion of the programme, Roehampton on-campus students, will be eligible for a CMI L5 qualification in Management and Leadership (subject to passing the required mapped CMI modules and CMI moderation.
Our Business Management and Entrepreneurship programme will provide you with the skills required to plan, set up and run your own business. It is designed to make you a ‘business ready’ graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business, management and entrepreneurship. As an entrepreneur, you will be equipped with the skills needed to drive innovation and adapt to change.
This extended four year degree includes a foundation year, which provides students with a sound introduction to key elements needed for studying Business at degree level. The foundation year is carefully designed to build your confidence and abilities, develop your academic and study skills, and provide the subject specific knowledge that is essential for success.
You will gain in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environments. Specialising in entrepreneurship and how to manage innovation, you will develop your own entrepreneurial skills. The Business Management and Entrepreneurship programme will develop your understanding of key concepts such as managing people, operations, logistics, marketing and finance. You will also explore corporate strategy and business ethics. Additionally, this course will prepare you for how small businesses and start-ups can operate effectively in a competitive business environment.
In readiness for your future career, Roehampton will help you develop a range of skills that employers value: the ability to identify and solve business problems and to effectively communicate your ideas. You will acquire key attributes such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, alongside skills in research, analysis, numeracy and project management.
Our academics have a wealth of research and practical experience in economics and business and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management. There will be support throughout from your Personal Tutor, who will work with you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
You will graduate confident about your personal values, with the knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically and with an excellent understanding of the wider economy.
By gaining the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership, you will have an industry-recognised professional qualification and will be able to fast-track your progress towards Chartered Manager status. You will gain access to exclusive CMI networking events and lectures from CMI experts. You will also have access to ManagementDirect, an online learning portal which provides a wide range of resources, including around 3,000 publications such as the Harvard Business Review. The online portal also allows you to develop your interview skills, polish your CV and record your professional development.
During the foundation year, you will take modules in English and Maths which will develop your core academic and study skills. The syllabus includes a year-long module relevant to your chosen degree subject, such as Business Essentials. This will provide you with a subject specific knowledge in Business which is essential for success in your degree.
Throughout your degree there is a focus on supporting you to develop, track and recognise your own increasing ability to add value to organisations. This is achieved through our Business Readiness module where, working with your Personal Tutor, you will gather evidence of your knowledge, skills and attributes.
Throughout your degree there is a focus on supporting you to develop, track and recognise your own increasing ability to add value to organisations. This is achieved through our Business Readiness module, where, working with your Personal Tutor, you will gather evidence of your knowledge, skills and attributes.
In your first year, you will learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through a process of self-assessment and reflection, and understand your role in a team. You will practise these skills in a variety of problem-based activities. Establish an overview of business organisations and be introduced to key areas of business such as finance and marketing– important in underpinning your entrepreneurial aspirations.
Your second year continues to develop your business readiness, and you will gain an understanding of management concepts, from managing people to supply chain and project management. There will be the opportunity to practise your entrepreneurship in a real-world context and you will also acquire high-level business planning skills, critical to successful entrepreneurship.
In your third year, you will explore both the theory and practice of entrepreneurship, learning more about your own style and skills, and how to bring those abilities out in others. You will also look at innovation, and gain an understanding of the approaches used to encourage innovation within an organisation. Finally, you will undertake a dissertation on an entrepreneurial topic of you own choice.
There is also a Disciplinary Investigation module where you will demonstrate the ability to utilise the academic and subject-specific toolkit acquired through previous modules to manage your own learning, and in partnership with your tutors, negotiate, plan and carry out an investigation into the chosen topic.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Managing People and Careers
Understanding Operations, Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 2)
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 3)
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.*
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
Graduates can start their own business; work in business development roles or graduate traineeships; or work in any sector that seeks dynamic, creative individuals with proven business knowledge.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.