- This Marketing BSc programme covers key areas of marketing, alongside a thorough grounding in business, providing the foundation for a successful career in marketing management.
- Develop the knowledge and skills that employers value. You will graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- Apply contemporary research to explore the latest developments in marketing, such as the growth in digital marketing, the dynamic nature of customer behaviour and the value of developing powerful brands.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) have approved our BSc Marketing programme, so graduates will qualify for the maximum exemptions for the CIM Level 6 Diploma.
- During your first year of study, your classes will start no earlier than 10am, and your teaching will take place on the same two days each week*. This gives you the time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- We offer all students the opportunity to apply for a one-year, paid work placement during their degree.
Our Marketing programme prepares you to work in the rapidly evolving and diverse field of marketing. It is designed to make you a ‘business ready’ graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of marketing and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
This extended four year degree includes a foundation year, which provides students with a sound introduction to key elements needed for studying Business at degree level. The foundation year is carefully designed to build your confidence and abilities, develop your academic and study skills, and provide the subject specific knowledge that is essential for success.
On this degree, you will focus on the ways in which businesses present themselves in increasingly competitive and disruptive customer environments. Alongside your specialist marketing knowledge, Roehampton Business School will help you to gain an understanding of managing people, operations, logistics and finance. You will also learn how businesses operate effectively and responsibly in culturally diverse markets.
In readiness for your future career, you will develop a range of skills that employers value: the ability to identify and solve business problems and to communicate your ideas effectively. You will develop key attributes such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence and gain skills in research, project management and leadership.
Our academics support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management. You will be supported throughout your personal development by Personal Tutors, who work with you to map your career development and provide guidance. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
By studying at Roehampton, you will graduate confident about your personal values, with knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically and with an ongoing passion for continuous professional development.
During the foundation year, you will take modules in English and Maths which will develop your core academic and study skills. The syllabus includes a year-long module relevant to your chosen degree subject, such as Business Essentials. This will provide you with a subject specific knowledge in Business which is essential for success in your degree.
Throughout your degree, the focus is on supporting you to recognise, track and develop your own increasing ability to add value to organisations. This is achieved through our Business Readiness module, where, working with your Personal Tutor, you will gather evidence of your knowledge, skills and attributes. This will demonstrate to prospective employers how you can play a key role in whichever organisations you work for.
In your first year, you will learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through a process of self-assessment and reflection, and understand your role in a team. You will practise these skills in a variety of team problem-based activities and scenarios. And you will establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and be introduced to key areas of business such as management, finance, and data analysis.
Your second year will continue to develop your business readiness, and develop your knowledge of key management concepts, from managing people across different cultures to supply chain and project management. You wil acquire an understanding of consumer behaviour, and expertise in digital marketing or services marketing - two key growth areas in a modern knowledge-based economy.
In your third year, you will be able to cultivate a deeper understanding of the key areas of branding and marketing in a global context, where you tailor the delivery of your messages to your chosen target market. You will be able to demonstrate your skills with an in-depth dissertation focusing on an area of marketing of your choice. Additionally, there will be the opportunity to study corporate strategy and learn about the importance of ethics and responsible management.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Introduction to Accounting and Finance
Business Organisations in a Global Economy
Business Data Analysis
Principles of Marketing
Introduction to Management
Required zero-credit module
Extended Academic Induction
Required zero-credit module
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 3)
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.*
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be equipped to work in a range of marketing roles, either within an agency or in the marketing funcations of a wide range of organisations. You will have the skils to enable you to work as an advertising executive, marketing manager, communications manager or in other marketing-related roles.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.