- Develop a global mind-set through exposure to intercultural and international business contexts.
- During your second year, spend a semester studying abroad developing your cross-cultural skills and confidence to operate internationally.
- Acquire a strong understanding of business management and develop your ability to work internationally in marketing, finance or human resource management.
- Gain the knowledge and skills that employers value. Graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- During your first year of study, your classes will start no earlier than 10am, and your teaching will take place on the same two days each week*. This gives you the time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- We offer all students the opportunity to apply for a one-year, paid work placement during their degree.
Our International Business degree will provide you with the skills and experience to work in a global business economy. It is designed specifically to develop you as a ‘business ready’ graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business and management and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly.
The extended degree includes a foundation year, which provides students with a sound introduction to key elements needed for studying business at degree level. Our extended degrees in the Business School give students a thorough and supportive academic preparation for study. The foundation year is carefully designed to build confidence in students’ abilities, develop essential academic and study skills, and provide the subject specific knowledge essential for success.
You will gain in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environments, including their relationships to society. Specialising in international business, you will focus on the ways businesses operate differently in home and overseas markets. You will develop an understanding of managing people, business operations and logistics, marketing and communications, finance and accounting, corporate strategy and business ethics. You will also learn how businesses can operate effectively in a culturally diverse environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will develop a range of skills that employers value: the ability to identify and solve business problems and to effectively communicate your ideas. You will develop key attributes such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence and gain skills in research, numeracy and project and people management.
In readiness for your future career, you will develop a range of skills that employers value: the ability to identify and solve business problems and to communicate your ideas effectively. You will acquire key attributes such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, together with skills in research, numeracy, project management and leadership.
Our academics have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management. You will be supported throughout by your Personal Tutor, who will help to guide your learning and career development. You will also have access to our extensive range of employability events. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
You will graduate confident about your personal values, with knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically and with an ongoing passion for continuous personal and professional development.
During the foundation year, you will take modules in English and Maths which will develop your core academic and study skills. The syllabus includes a year-long module relevant to your chosen degree subject, such as Business Essentials. This will provide you with a subject specific knowledge in Business which is essential for success in your degree.
Throughout your degree, the focus is on supporting you to develop, track and recognise your own increasing ability to add value to organisations. This is achieved through our Business Readiness module where, working with your Personal Tutor, you will gather evidence of your knowledge, skills and attributes.
In your first year, you will learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through a process of self-assessment and reflection, and understand your role in a team. You will practice these skills in a variety of team based scenarios. You will also establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and be introduced to key areas of business such as finance and marketing.
In your second year you will spend a semester studying abroad. This will develop your cross-cultural skills and confidence, and you will return home more globally minded. This will give you the opportunity to develop connections with people from a diverse range of cultures. While at Roehampton, you will study modules on Global and International Business Strategy, and International Business & Emerging Markets, enabling you to develop an extensive knowledge of international business.
In your third year, modules will include International Human Resource Management and Global Marketing, developing your international management skills. You will demonstrate your individual specialism, through a dissertation focusing on an aspect of international business that interests you.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Managing People and Careers
Global and International Business Strategy
International Business and Emerging Markets
In your second semester, you will study abroad at one of our partner universities.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 2)
Required zero-credit module
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You’ll be equipped to work in a wide range of careers, including international trade and banking, operations management, market research, international sales or marketing, and other roles within international companies.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.