- Learn to develop integrated marketing strategies and how to use promotional tools and tactics to create a consistent brand and build competitive advantage.
- Gain relevant exemptions from the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
- Practise what you learn, and build valuable connections in the industry, through our one-year, paid work placement.
- During your first year, classes start no earlier than 10am, and teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- We are ranked as the 6th top university in London for Marketing (Complete University Guide 2020).
If you’re looking to build a career in marketing, our BSc Marketing is a brilliant starting point.
This extended four year degree includes a foundation year, which provides students with a sound introduction to key elements needed for studying Marketing at degree level. The foundation year is carefully designed to build your confidence and abilities, develop your academic and study skills, and provide the subject specific knowledge that is essential for success.
You’ll learn all about how to use marketing to respond to the needs of the digital economy and the constantly changing expectations of social media-savvy consumers.
You’ll gain in-depth knowledge of a range of marketing strategies and tactics used by organisations to achieve their business goals.
Covering the fundamentals of branding, you’ll also learn about marketing communications strategies, ethical issues in global marketing, and the evolving nature of digital marketing.
Over the course of your degree, you will develop the skills needed to run your own marketing communication campaigns, create unique brand identities and foster competitive advantage, while also considering the ethical and sustainability issues that come into play in devising effective marketing campaigns.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of business and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of marketing. Your Academic Guidance Tutor will also be there to guide your learning and career development, and you’ll have access to our extensive employability events.
In preparation for your future career, you’ll develop many skills employers value, including the ability to identify and solve business problems, and communicate your ideas with impact.
During the foundation year, you will take modules in English and Maths which will develop your core academic and study skills. The syllabus includes a year-long module relevant to your chosen degree subject, such as Business Essentials. This will provide you with a subject specific knowledge in Business, which is essential for success in your degree.
- Gain an overview of business in a global context and learn the key principles of marketing communications, as well as areas of business such as management, finance and data analysis.
- Track and develop your own increasing ability to add value to organisations and build your employability by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
- Recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection, and understand the role you can play in a team.
- Learn about the theories behind key marketing decisions, such as the pricing of goods and services.
- Develop your business readiness by gaining experience in project management.
- Turn your creative ideas into a reality, and learn to develop briefs and how work to timelines and restrictive budgets.
- Acquire expertise in digital marketing and social media, learning how to target consumers through innovative content.
- Explore consumer and shopper behaviour, and the strategies used to run successful integrated marketing campaigns.
- Cultivate a deeper understanding of the key areas of sales, advertising and PR in a global context, and learn how to tailor the delivery of your messages to your chosen target market.
- Demonstrate your skills with an in-depth dissertation focusing on an area of marketing of your choice.
- Study corporate strategy and explore the importance of ethics and responsible management.
Here are some of the modules we currently offer:
Introduction to Accounting and Finance
Business Organisations in a Global Economy
Business Data Analysis
Analysing Information and Data for Problem Solving
Principles of Marketing
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 2)
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
The Extended Professional Placement is a 20 credit module, awarded on a pass/fail basis, additional to the 360 credits of the 3-year degree.
Extended Professional Placement
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 3)
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
• Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
• Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
• Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
• Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
• Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
• Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
• Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be well equipped to work in a marketing role, either in a communications agency or an in-house marketing department. You could also progress to further study with us on our MSc Global Marketing.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
* This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.