- Our BA Philosophy is a proven way to develop vital skills for your career such as logical thinking, critical analysis and effective writing.
- Studying this in London will open you up to a vibrant philosophy culture.
- Roehampton an institutional member of the University of London's Institute of Philosophy and the Royal Institute of Philosophy, so you’ll have access to inspiring lectures, seminars and conferences offered by these Institutes.
- Roehampton is in the top five universities in London for graduate earnings in Philosophy (Longitudinal Education Outcomes, 2019 results, earnings three years after graduation).
To study philosophy is to appreciate the depth of questions we all face as humans and to consider some of the deepest answers that great philosophers have provided in response.
On our engaging BA Philosophy, you will gain knowledge and understanding of topics within core areas of philosophy including ethics, political philosophy, metaphysics, the philosophy of mind, epistemology and logic.
You will also study philosophy relating to the major aspects of human intellectual life, including the philosophy of art, film, literature, religion, language, the natural sciences and the social sciences.
You will explore the theories of the great philosophers, while developing and applying your own critical and logical powers to the analysis of philosophical arguments.
Taught by academic staff engaged in world-class research, you will build many skills vital for a successful career, including analytical thinking, creative problem-solving, the ability to construct arguments, to write clearly and persuasively, and to explain complex information.
You will leave the course a highly-employable individual, with the skills to move into many areas of professional working life, including law, the civil service, politics, business or teaching.
- Learn about classical, early modern and modern philosophy to gain knowledge and understanding of theories from great philosophers in the Western philosophical tradition.
- Develop the analytical techniques to be able to assess philosophical arguments for yourself and apply your own critical and logical powers.
- Study philosophy more thematically, and explore contemporary arguments and debates, with the central problems of philosophy being centre stage.
- Study philosophy from leading 19th and 20th century philosophers such as Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Marx, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Sartre.
- Contrast and compare answers from the mainstream Western philosophical tradition with answers from the Eastern philosophical tradition in our Indian Philosophy module. We are one of the few universities in the UK to offer an option to study Indian Philosophy.
- Build on the knowledge and understanding of philosophical problems and arguments gained in the first two years, and explore the latest ideas in philosophy.
- You will be trained to bring a higher level of analysis to philosophical problems and the possible solutions.
- Study philosophical issues that arise within major aspects of human intellectual endeavour including art, literature, the sciences and religion.
Here are the varied range of modules we offer:
Contemporary Political Philosophy
Research in the History of Philosophy
Marx and Critical Theory
Animals and Environment: Past to Present
Love, Sex, Death and God
Philosophy Special Essay
Continental Philosophy 2
Philosophy of Law
Philosophy of Language
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
Our graduates use their exceptional reasoning and analytical skills to go into professions such as politics, the civil service, journalism, business, commerce and law. Many of our philosophy graduates also go onto master’s degrees and PhD study.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.