- Hone your photography skills, on the doorstep of London’s vibrant creative scene.
- Work with staff active in the latest research or with recent commercial experience.
- Use the latest high spec equipment and studio facilities, including an industry-standard medium format digital camera.
- We’re creating a brand new media centre for 2019 – find out more.
- Roehampton is ranked in the top 20 universities in the country for photography (Guardian University Guide 2019).
- 100% of students satisfied with this course (National Student Survey 2018)
- 100% of graduates in work or further study after six months (Destination of Leavers of Higher Education survey 2018).
Develop advanced photography skills, and gain a wide-ranging understanding of contemporary photographic culture, on our inspiring BA Photography degree course.
You’ll be on the doorstep of London’s vibrant creative scene, with some of the world’s leading magazines, agencies, studios and galleries within easy reach.
While developing your photography and technical skills, you’ll become adept at using 35mm film cameras, film processing equipment, DSLR cameras, medium and large format cameras, and studio and location lighting.
You'll learn to use all the relevant software packages, including Photoshop and Capture One, as well as developing digital darkroom skills and practical skills, such as project management, presentation and problem solving.
On campus, you'll have access to two industry-standard studios, a darkroom and two Mac suites that will facilitate your work.
On the theoretical side, we’ll explore contemporary and historical photographic practices and their diverse uses in cultural fields such as journalism, fine art, fashion, editorial, advertising and web design.
You'll learn about the relationship between photography and disciplines such as cultural studies, anthropology and philosophy; and become familiar with the work of key theorists and practitioners involved in the ongoing development of the field, such as Roland Barthes, and Broomberg and Chanarin.
Central to the course is the development of your own portfolio of work. For the past seven years, final-year students have exhibited their work at Free Range in Brick Lane, which provides an ideal platform for exposure, as well as opportunities to meet vital industry contacts.
We offer opportunities to explore career options, so you can assess your choices, evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, and learn how to present an excellent application. There are also opportunities to undertake a work placement.
- Undertake practical projects exploring both analogue and digital photography. Projects can involve producing prints, photobooks and working with image and text.
- Start building key technical skills in areas such as software, camera work and lighting.
- Other modules cover theoretical materials on visual culture, with the aim of developing your analytical and written skills.
- Focus your practical and conceptual skills in a number of different areas, including working with portrait, landscape and documentary photography.
- Other modules currently include Visual Storytelling and Image and Appropriation.
- Develop and produce your own body of high-quality work to an industry-level standard.
- Continue building your portfolio or your critical understanding of photography.
- Choose to carry out an extended piece of written research, supported by our team of expert staff.
Here are some of the modules we currently offer:
Truth and Fiction
Photographic Practice 2
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
Recent graduates have gone on to work successfully as commercial photographers, fine art photographers, fashion photographers, marketing agents, photojournalists, picture editors, PR agents, studio managers, retouchers, retouching bureau managers and tutors.
We’re creating a brand new media centre for 2019
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.