- Equip yourself with a degree that will open the door to coaching in different environments, with everyone from sporting novices to elite athletes.
- You’ll put your skills into practice on work placements with leading sports organisations. We have partnerships with the likes of Fulham FC, Hercules Wimbledon Athletics Club, Crystal Palace FC, the Lawn Tennis Association, schools and coaching agencies.
- You’ll explore the business side of sport coaching, gaining the practical skills you need to work for yourself.
- 100% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months (Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education 2018 results).
- We are ranked as the top university in London for Education (Complete University Guide 2020).
- 93.3% of Roehampton Sports Coaching students are satisfied with the academic support (NSS 2019)
This sport coaching degree will prepare you brilliantly for a career in the industry and equip you to work in a wide range of settings at a national and European standard.
You will study the different aspects of coaching, such as anatomy, physiology and movement analysis, while developing your own coaching practice and different coaching styles.
Learning about the role of the professional coach, you will explore the qualities needed to coach effectively in different contexts, and to work with people at a range of levels (from beginners to elite athletes) and with different groups (such as young children, adolescents, older people and those with long-term illnesses or disabilities).
You will learn about the scientific aspects of coaching, such as anatomy, physiology and movement analysis; explore a range of health and fitness techniques; and learn ways to analyse human movement.
You will also study coaching styles, coaching pedagogy, practice and employability, and learn to communicate effectively with performers, and support them inside and outside the sport, to get the very best from them.
All students engage in coaching opportunities in the University, local authorities, clubs and schools. Previous students have completed placements at Fulham FC and Hercules Wimbledon Athletics Club.
With plenty of opportunities to put into practice the skills and knowledge you develop , you will leave well equipped to work in coaching and teaching, in whichever area of the profession you choose to pursue.
The government and sporting community are working to transform coaching into a graduate profession and to make the UK into the leader in coaching and coach education by 2020. This course is part of making that a reality.
- Develop the skills and knowledge that will enable you to create your own coaching programmes.
- Learn about the current structure of the sports industry in the UK, as well as the government's policy towards sport and how this impacts the sports environment.
- Look at how children learn and how their sporting skills develop as they get older.
- Understand physiological systems, and learn to monitor, analyse, diagnose and prescribe action that enhances learning through physical activity.
- Explore different coaching environments to help identify an area of coaching you want to pursue.
- Move onto exploring the core approaches to research and scientific enquiry, and how this can be reflected in your own coaching practice.
- Learn to support participants inside and outside of sport, recognising that they need life skills, as well as sport-specific skills, to succeed.
- Apply your knowledge to a range of different sporting contexts and develop an understanding of different models and systems for coaching.
- Learn about qualitative and quantitative analysis of human movement and take modules in active health promotion or physical education.
- Investigate and plan your career development through self-analysis of the skills and qualities required for your first career after university.
- Take the theoretical and practical knowledge you have developed and apply it to your own 'work-based' context.
- Study an entrepreneurship module to learn how to establish your self-employed status within sport coaching.
- Learn about theoretical and practical considerations in psychology and the social psychology of sport.
- Study the coaching process, concepts, principles and approaches to coaching different activities and different groups of performers from a range of sporting areas.
- Build on the knowledge and abilities acquired through your studies by working on your own research as part of your dissertation, under the guidance of an expert supervisor.
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
As a sport coaching graduate, you will be equipped to secure work as a coach in a wide range of sports and contexts.
You could take your skills into graduate roles in sport development, management, entrepreneurship, sports marketing, retail, recruitment or sales.
Or you could go on to work in health and physical education with different demographics groups, from young children to the elderly, or in formal and informal settings in schools, after-school and play locations. Furthermore, graduates acquired roles within recruitment, accounting, management, sales and entrepreneurship that highlights the skills and attributes developed within the degree are transferable to a broad range of employment.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.