- Covers a wide variety of theoretical issues in sport psychology, physiology and biomechanics.
- Accredited by the British Psychology Society (BPS).
- You will be taught by highly-respected chartered psychologists.
- 100% of our psychology research has an impact on societies around the world (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- 100% student satisfaction on this course (NSS 2019).
- 90% Roehampton sport psychology graduates in work or further study within six months of graduation (DLHE, 2018 results).
Learn to optimise athletic performance by studying the psychology behind sport at Roehampton. You will explore key factors affecting sports performance, such as mental toughness, self-confidence, motivation, stress, concentration and the psychology of sport injury.
This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society
Human performance in sport and exercise is based on three areas – body chemistry (physiology); the physical demands on the body (biomechanics); and the mind’s response (psychology).
On this course, you will gain in-depth knowledge of how psychology underpins sport and exercise, by exploring the mind, brain, behaviour and experience, and the complex interactions between these elements.
This programme is accredited as conferring eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of The British Psychological Society.
We offer a range of innovative modules, such as Mind, Body, and Brain, where you will learn how the brain, nervous system and other physiological systems affect, and are affected by, mental functioning and behaviour; Psychology of Peak Performance, where you will learn the fundamental issues related to optimal athlete performance; and Advanced Topics in Psychology, where you will gain an understanding of contemporary issues within the field of sport psychology.
- Explore a range of topics to build a solid foundation for understanding the key psychological concepts that affect sport performance and exercise participation.
- Broaden your knowledge base and enhance your critical awareness of applying psychological support in sport psychology.
- This part of the course embeds the subject within the wider context of sport science as a whole.
- Select modules and do research on your areas of specific interest for your dissertation.
- Follow a coherent pathway of study to facilitate your future career in the exciting field of sport psychology.
Here are examples of the modules we currently offer:
Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology
Mind, Body and Brain (1)
Social and Developmental Psychology (1)
Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology
Research Methods and Statistics
Students for whom English is not their first language can also take the English for Academic Study module.
Empirical Research Project
Advanced Topics in Psychology
Exercise and Health
Biomechanics: Performance and Injury
Limitations to Performance and Training
Communication and Social Interaction
Cognition and Emotion
Required modules must be taken and a reasonable attempt must be made at the assessment, compulsory modules must be passed.
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
Studying this course will provide the first step towards further professional, postgraduate training routes into a career as a sport psychologist, but also into other psychology careers such as clinical, forensic, or health psychologist. The skills developed on the course will also prepare you for a variety of private and public sector work.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.