- Study this two-year Foundation degree alongside your work, to professionalise your practice as a coach, to national and European standards.
- Organised as one and a half days a week of study to fit round your existing work commitments.
- At the end of the two years, top up to a full degree by studying the final year of our BA Sports Coaching.
- The University of Roehampton has partnerships with a number of leading sports organisations, including Crystal Palace FC and the Lawn Tennis Association.
- Gain access to a network of experienced coaches with job contacts and opportunities.
- We are ranked as the top university in London for Education (Complete University Guide 2020).
This course is suspended for 2019 entry.
This Foundation Degree (FdSc) is perfect for existing coaches who are looking to develop their own practice and progress their careers.
During this two-year course, you will learn the theories that underpin the different approaches to sports coaching and learn to evaluate a range of different coaching techniques.
You will study coaching styles, coaching pedagogy, practice and employability, to build on your current coaching skills and help improve the way you communicate with performers.
You will also gain an understanding of anatomy and physiology, the interdependence of fundamental physiological systems, and how these relate to the work of the coach.
By working and studying at the same time, you will be able to continually review and develop the way you work to reflect your studies.
To gain a place on this course, you need to be supported by your employer in a paid or voluntary coaching role.
Taught sessions will be organised around your work-based coaching commitments and will include twilight and weekend sessions.
After completing this course, you have the option to do another year and graduate with a BA Sports Coaching.
- Focus on the theory behind sport coaching and learn how a coach develops sessions to maximise performance.
- Explore fundamental physiological systems and how training affects these systems.
- Undertake a reflective practice to apply the knowledge gained on the course to your own workplace.
- Build on, and put into practice, what you have already learnt.
- Spend time looking at the wider support system that surrounds performers, including how you as a coach can help them achieve their professional goals.
- Learn about the psychological ‘tools’ available to the coach in their work with performers at different levels and in different contexts.
- Build your understanding of sports science, including the key nutritional and hydration strategies designed to improve athletic performance.
Do a third year to get your BA Sports Coaching Practice, and:
- Continue developing your skills and applying your theoretical and practical knowledge to a work context.
- Learn to establish your self-employed status within sports coaching, and explore the professional framework of practice and ethics of the coaching profession.
Top up year, BA Honours
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
As a gradaute of this foundation course, you could set up or grow your own business in coaching or sport. You could go on to work in coach development or coach mentoring, move into youth development or social work, and or take your skills into the teaching profession, from a primary to further education level.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.