- This Accounting BSc is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and offers the maximum of nine exemptions from ACCA professional exams.
- Apply contemporary research and the latest thinking to explore current accounting issues.
- Develop the knowledge and skills that employer’s value. You will graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- Gain a strong understanding of the wider context of business management and develop your ability to manage people and projects.
- During your first year of study, your classes will start no earlier than 10am, and your teaching will take place on the same two days each week*. This gives you the time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- We offer all students the opportunity to apply for a one-year, paid work placement during their degree.
Our Accounting BSc provides an excellent preparation for a rewarding career in accounting, enabling you to work in a wide range of business, public and third-sector organisations.
At the same time, you will develop yourself personally, be confident in your own values, apply your knowledge to solve problems, and ultimately add value to any organisation. On completing this ACCA-accredited degree you will be exempt from nine of the ACCA professional exams, should you go on to work towards your full professional qualification.
Our Accounting degree is strongly focused on developing you as a ‘business ready’
graduate: highly employable and capable, with the knowledge and skills required by employers and professional accounting bodies. There will be opportunities to develop your ability to identify and solve complex accounting problems and apply the skills and techniques necessary, to a range of business scenarios.
We will support you to develop the self-confidence and resilience to be able to professionally challenge the status quo and effectively present realistic alternatives. You will continue to build relevant personal skills to support your professional development. Your tutors have a wealth of experience in a wide range of accounting contexts, and will demonstrate how your learning connects to, and impacts upon, the real world.
Throughout your degree, you will compile evidence on your developing knowledge, skills and attributes and your increasing ability to add value to organisations as a ‘business ready’ graduate.
Across the three years of study, you will undertake specialist ACCA-accredited accounting modules. In your first year, you will explore financial and management accounting techniques, including the preparation of financial reports. In addition to this, you will explore the latest business issues such as the growth in digital commerce, developments in data analysis and the dynamic nature of the global business environment.
In year two, you will be introduced to people and project management, which will complement your developing accounting skills. You will continue to build your knowledge and skills through modules that currently include the Law of Business Enterprises, Taxation Practice, Understanding Financial Statements and Management Accounting Techniques.
In your third year, you will build your financial skills through a dissertation, focusing on a particular area of the discipline of interest to you. Modules we offer currently include Advanced Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Audit Practice & Ethics and Accounting for Decision Making.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Business Organisations and Environments in a Global Context
Understanding Self and Others
Introduction to Management
Analysing Information and Data for Problem Solving
Principles of Marketing and Communications in a Digital World
Accounting for Organisations
You will also benefit from our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules, which focus on your future employability by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
You will coninue to benefit from our Business Readiness modules, which focus on your future employabillity by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Business and Management Dissertation in Accounting (Part 1)
Business and Management Dissertation in Accounting (Part 2)
You will continue to benefit from our Business Readiness modules, which focus on your future employability by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be equipped to work in management or financial accounting jobs in the corporate, public or voluntary sectors. Graduates can follow pathways into accountancy via the main professional bodies in the UK, and bypass some of the foundation level examinations needed for qualifying as an accountant.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.