Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) | Funds administered by the University | Social Services | Student Health Association | Snowden Award Scheme | Motability | Access to Work (AtW)

Various types of funding are available to disabled students. Please see the links below, which you may find useful.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

DSA are non means-tested funds to help full and part-time home undergraduate and postgraduate students to pay for essential extra costs they may incur whilst attending their course, as a direct result of their disability, Specific Learning Difference (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia etc), mental health condition or long term medical condition. They are distributed by the Student Loans Company and postgraduate research councils/bodies.

The allowances may help with:

  • Human support (e.g. Specialist Study Skills Tutor or Specialist Mentor)
  • Travel costs
  • Assistive technology
  • Training in how to use the assistive technology effectively

Full information about the Student Finance England (SFE) administered DSA can be found on the website.

Or for:

For all information and support regarding access to DSA – please contact Disability Services as soon as you realise you will require this kind of funding.

Social Services

Students who require personal assistance can apply for this via their home Social Services Team. Please contact your home Social Services Team as soon as you start applying for University and begin discussing your requirements.

Student Health Association

The Student Health Association (formerly BAHSHE) runs the Student Disability Assistance Fund (Charity no. 253984 - est.1967). The fund helps students with disabilities to keep up with their studies. For further information and application forms, please visit

Snowdon Award Scheme

The Snowdon Award Scheme provides assistance to students in higher education who have a physical disability; it can provide funds to help cover costs relating to the student’s disability. For further information, please visit


Motability is a national UK charity, providing assistance by way of allocating vehicles and powered wheelchairs to people who have a disabling condition. For further information, please visit

The Access to Work Scheme (AtW)

Access to Work (AtW) is provided via the Government's Department for Work and Pensions. This provides financial and practical assistance for people who have a disability, to assist them in both obtaining work or carrying out their work.

Through this scheme the Government will either pay for, or make a grant towards, the cost of additional support needed as a result of a disability, including:

  • Communication support at interview
  • Premises adaption and equipment
  • Special aids to employment
  • Support workers
  • Travel to work
  • Miscellaneous to pay for 'one off' items of support that do not fall within other categories

Applications must be made by the person with the disability. The first point of contact is either your regional Access to Work contact centre or the Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre. 

For further information about AtW, please visit