Allnew staff and students are provided with training upon joining the University. Students can find out more information at welcome talks and from their flat reps. An online e-learning module is also available.
Throughout the year, we participate in engagement weeks such as fairtrade fortnight, planet go green week and this October our first environmental week!
Other sustainability campaigns include, Love Food Hate Waste, Meat free Mondays and walk to work week. We run competitions throughout the academic year to encourage students to save energy and reduce waste.
Students and staff also have the opportunity to help shape and influence environmental policy by joining the environmental network which meets at least once a term.
The environmental network helps to:
- Provide feedback on University environmental issues
- Provide advice to the Environmental team on how new sustainability initiatives would be best implemented in their local areas
- Act as an ambassador for the University's Environmental Policy
- Act as a point of contact in their local areas to inform staff and students about environmental/sustainability procedures e.g. for waste disposal
- Help to form a communication network of staff and students who are engaged with sustainability and will help to promote University environmental events and sustainability initiatives
- Monitor local areas in terms of environmental performance and feedback to the Environment Team e.g. waste reduction, energy use, procurement
- Fulfil a requirement to engage and communicate with staff on environmental issues (ISO14001)