Sustainable food and ethical purchasing
In order to ensure that the sustainability of food on campus is considered, sustainable food standards are outlined during catering contract negotiations and also throughout tender processes.
Sustainability is one of the key considerations upon awarding new contracts which helps to allow sustainable food to be within the University’s considerations.
The University helps to encourage sustainable and ethically sourced food and drink by:
- Encouraging locally sourced food on menus, reducing food miles
- Allowing space for sustainable food projects e.g. old orchard, growing spaces
- Providing drinking water for all staff, students and visitors
- Promoting use of free-range eggs and MSC certified fish
- Selling fairtrade certified products in catering outlets and participating in fairtrade fortnight
RSU’s growhampton project grows its own produce which is harvested and either sold to students/staff or used in the hive café. They are also hope to some chickens which lay fresh, free-range eggs!