Advanced optical motion analysis systems (Vicon and Peak Motus)
- A state-of-the-art Vicon motion analysis system, with multiple high-resolution cameras and the most updated video management software, is available.
- We have Body Builder software which allows easy and quick implementation of biomechanical models. The system can be synchronised with the force plates to determine joint torques, work and power. The Peak Motus 3-D motion analysis system is available for motion tracking using ordinary cameras.
- This system can also be used outside the laboratory.
Kistler force plates
- Three force plates are mounted in the floor in a flexible manner, and can be used to measure ground reaction forces in three dimensions and centre of pressure.
Biometrics Electromyography, Goniometers and 3D Accelerometers
- Our laboratory is well-equipped for the physiological assessment or testing of a wide-range of physical and sporting activities.
- This includes measuring lactate threshold, VO2 max, and speed of power output for improving athletic performance.
- We have a range of cycle ergometers (Lode, Monark and Watt) and treadmills (Woodway, Powerjog) as well as more specific ergometers (Concept rowing ergometer, Kayak ergometer).
Motion Tracking Sensors
- Our laboratory has Fastrak electromagnetic motion sensors which provide real-time kinematic data using custom software developed by our research team. We also have a number of other motion sensors (accelerometers and inertial sensors with accelerometry, gyroscopes and magnetometers in-built) which are based on inertial technologies, and unlike the Fastrak, some of our inertial sensors are wireless so that their applications are not restricted by cables.
Physiological assessment equipment
- Equipment for both laboratory and field-based physiological assessment, including a wide-range of respiratory variables. This includes portable and fixed online gas analysis, multiple Douglas bag set-ups, spirometry for pulmonary function, and blood parameters (capillary and venous analysis) in and out of the laboratory.
- We also have a BodPod which measures the proportion of total fat mass and lean body mass represents an individual's body composition.