- This programme is accredited by the British Psychological Society
- The programme is delivered by Chartered Psychologists and Health Care and Professions Council (HCPC) registered Forensic Psychologists who are experienced practitioners and experts in the field
- Gain an in-depth understanding of risk, psychological theory and practical issues to investigate the causes and the consequences of crime alongside the development of your research skillsets
- Prepare for your career in Forensic Psychology and benefit from our network of connections with a variety of organisations within the forensic psychology field
- In the Research Excellence Framework 2014, the leading national assessment of quality, 100% of the research we submitted was rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ for its impact
Applications are now closed for September 2021.
This programme offers an exciting opportunity to study forensic psychology within a department with an established expertise in a range of therapeutic skills and therapies. It is especially designed to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of practical skills and the latest research in preparation for a career in the forensic field.
Our MSc Forensic Psychology degree will introduce you to the key theoretical concepts and practical approaches relevant to the legal and criminal justice system. The core philosophy of the course is to promote an understanding of the role of forensic psychologists in various forensic settings, whilst preparing you for a rewarding career or doctoral study in the field of forensic psychology.
You will be taught by leading experts in the field who are chartered psychologists and HCPC registered Forensic Psychologists to learn about the latest developments in the field of Forensic Psychology. You will develop knowledge of contemporary psychological theories of understanding crime. You will be encouraged to develop the ability to critically evaluate research, start thinking reflectively and communicate the knowledge you acquired to a wider, multidisciplinary, audience.
From an investigative standpoint, you will develop a strong scientific understanding of the current theories of aetiology of criminal behaviour and the assessment of risk. You will gain an understanding of evidence for legal aspects in consideration for court cases, and sentencing and parole boards. You will be encouraged to think critically about methodological challenges and limitations arising from these topics. You will also learn how to appropriately conduct and disseminate your own research in preparation for the doctoral level, if you decide to pursue your studies further.
This programme is accredited by the British Psychological Society.
During this one year course, you will gain a strong foundation in understanding the field of forensic psychology, study real-life case studies and apply theory to practical work with an emphasis on career preparation. You will develop the necessary clinical and practical skills to carry out assessments for treatment of criminal behaviour. To support your professional development, the programme will introduce you to the ethical principles and the codes of conduct in forensic psychology and the concept of evidence-based practice.
You will also have the opportunity to undertake a dissertation in which you will specialise in a research area of Forensic Psychology. Our expert teaching staff will support you in developing your work. You will also benefit from our network of connections within the field of Forensic Psychology.
Understanding Criminal Behaviour
Assessment and Consultancy Provision
Forensic Psychological Interventions
Criminal Justice System Framework
Forensic Mental Health
Research Methods Skills
Masters Research Project
Once you’ve successfully graduated from the programme, you can continue your training to becoming a Chartered Forensic Psychologist. You could then go onto work in prison and probation services, rehabilitation units, secure hospitals, and social services.
The skills and knowledge you develop can also lead you to a successful career in:
- The NHS or private sector healthcare
- Civil Service, including the Home Office, Ministry of Justice, the police or the courts and justice system
- Education and research within universities.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.