Higher and Degree Apprenticeships

The University of Roehampton has a long history of providing vocational degrees and through our new apprenticeship offering we are committed to providing opportunities for all those who want to further their education or career. We will provide apprentices with the skills that employers want and need now and the abilty to adapt to the needs of the future economy. 

Image -

Information for Employers

Higher and degree apprenticeships provide organisations with the opportunity to upskill their current workforce and attract and retain new employees. Apprenticeships combine on-the-job training with study for a higher-level qualification, helping you to develop and retain a highly skilled and knowledgeable workforce for your organisation. Apprenticeships are funded by the Apprenticeship Levy and can benefit your organisation in a number of ways:

  • Expand your recruitment pool
  • Upskill your existing workforce
  • Help future-proof your organisation
  • Improve productivity

The apprentice will be employed by you, the organisation. They are employed for at least as long as their course lasts, this will typically be between 1 to 4 years. The apprentice will have the same employment rights as other employees and will be paid a salary, receive paid leave for study, complete coursework and attend university classes.

At the University of Roehampton, we have a long tradition of research and teaching in education and health. We have been training teachers, through our four colleges, for 180 years and have launched a successful nursing programme both on our main campus and at Croydon University Centre. We are committed to ensuring our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills to add value to their employers, community and society more widely.

Through our partnerships with the National College of Education and QA we have experience and knowledge of apprenticeships. While we continue to partner with these education providers, we are now also offering apprenticeships directly. We would like to hear from employers interested in apprenticeships provision in the following areas: 

  • Education
  • NHS, Health and Social Care:
    • Nursing (Registered Nurse, Nursing Associate, Specialist and Community Public Health)
    • Advanced Clinical Practitioner
    • Public Health Practitioner
    • Clinical Associate in Psychology (CAP)
    • Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner
    • Arts Therapist and Health Play Specialist
    • Sports Coaching

Our apprenticeships

  • Teacher Apprenticeship 
  • Sports Coach Apprenticeship (subject to validation)
  • Nursing Associate Apprenticeship (subject to validation)
  • Academic Professional (subject to validation)

We are committed to ensuring that our employer engagement meets the needs of our partners and of our apprentices, and that engagement is  meaningful, clear and enables a continuous route for monitoring and evaluation. Our processes for working in partnership with employers across our apprenticeship programmes is set out in our Employer Engagement Practice and Procedure for Apprenticeships.

As an employer, if your pay bill is over £3million, you are required to pay the Apprenticeship Levy to HMRC. You will be able to put these contributions toward the cost of a degree apprenticeship.

If your contributions have been exhausted, the government will pay at least 95% of the fees for you. You will need to cover the remaining 5%.

If your annual pay bill is less than £3million, you will not be contributing towards Apprenticeship Levy. However, the government will pay at least 95% of the fees for each apprentice you have. You will need to cover the remaining 5%.

Your apprenticeships can be funded by a levy paying employer transferring up to 25% of their unused levy to a different employer. For more information, please visit the government website.  

If you are an employer you will need to create an account on the apprenticeship service. This will allow you to

  • Receive the funds to put toward your apprenticeships
  • Manage your apprentices
  • Make payments to your training provider

As the employer you will pay the training provider directly the 5%, if applicable. HMRC will pay the provider the 95% of the fees directly.

This funding can be used to pay for the training of your apprentice, however it will not cover their wages, so you will need to pay for that.

For more details please visit the government website.

Interested?

If you would like to find out more about offering apprenticeships and how we could help you, please do get in contact with us by emailing apprenticeships@roehampton.ac.uk

Information for apprentices

Higher and degree apprenticeships are a great opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge whilst working in related job. This is beneficial for career progression and also allows you to gain a higher or degree qualification.

You will receive a salary for the duration of your apprenticeship, and you will not be required to pay any fees towards your academic study. As an employee you will also benefit from paid leave and other employee benefits offered at your organisation.

You will attend University on a part-time basis, and this will typically be one say a week, or in blocks.

Please speak to your employer in the first instance to see if they offer an apprenticeship programme.

Image -

Apprenticeships

"primary-apprenticeships-3.jpg

Teacher Apprenticeship

nursing-associate-apprenticeship-roehampton-thumbnail.jpg

Nursing Associate Apprenticeship