If you excel in sport, we can provide extensive financial and mentoring support, so you can study your degree whilst competing at national or international standard in your chosen activity.
We offer scholarships ranging from £500 to £1,500 per year, depending on your level of performance. This scholarship can be combined with additional support to help you achieve your potential in both sporting performance and in your degree. This includes mentoring, access to the University of Roehampton gym and academic support.
Current and potential 2019 applicants are invited to apply now for the Roehampton University Scholarship for Sporting Excellence programme.
The scholarships are available to students who will be studying on any Roehampton course, at any level, undergraduate or postgraduate. In your application you need to demonstrate your commitment to your chosen sport and your ability to combine academic progression with sporting excellence. Your application will be assessed by a panel, chaired by the Sport Roehampton Manager.
Talented sportswomen and sportsmen who have achieved representative honours at a national or regional level, or have the potential to achieve this level of performance whilst studying at Roehampton. Applications are welcome from any sporting background, but particularly those which have team and individual national student competitions. For a list of such sports, see www.bucs.org.uk.
If you are unsure as to whether this is you, please contact James Ayres, Sport Roehampton Manager for an informal discussion.
If you are successfully awarded a Scholarship for Sporting Excellence, you will receive:
- £500-1500 scholarship for every year of study with us on the degree you enrol on
- Travel and entry costs for competitions
- Access to our on-site gym and services managed by Nuffield Health
- Access to sports massage therapy
- Additional training, support and CPD development
- Lifestyle support
- Support to help you achieving sports performance and academic goals
- To represent the University in national student sports competitions as currently organised by the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) where relevant
- To maintain high standards of conduct at all times in the sporting and academic context;
- To be an advocate for the University to external groups and sponsors under the guidance of the Sport Roehampton Manager
- To take part in sporadic sporting photography sessions to be used in marketing publications;
- To work alongside the University departments to support community sport programmes, special events and promotional activity;
- To promote Roehampton University wherever possible, including featuring in Roehampton publications and articles for press release;
- To take part in education liaison activities such as assisting with widening participation events, recruitment fairs and open days (time permitting);
- For annual renewal of your scholarship, you must successfully complete each year of study and progress onto the following year.
Q. Can I hold more than one scholarship at a time e.g. this and the Academic Excellence Scholarship?
A. Yes, unless the other scholarship in question has criteria that does not allow this. If in doubt, please get in touch with us.
View our scholarships
Q. I'm applying for an extended degree. Will I be eligible?
A. Yes. The applies to students for any programme of study.
Q. Do I need to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Roehampton before I can receive this scholarship?
A. Yes. You must apply for a degree with us and accept an offer of study to allow you to be awarded a scholarship.