Our BA Digital Media will immerse you in one of the fastest growing sectors of the creative industry, and equip you with the tools for a successful career in digital and new media.
This innovative course will shape you into a digital media professional who can design cross-platform digital communication products, such as digital campaigns, websites, mobile apps, and immersive and interactive experiences in a variety of contexts.
The Department is equipped with industry-standard digital facilities, housed in a brand new, dedicated space opening in September 2019, where using the tools of the trade will become second nature to you. You will have access to state-of-the-art digital and creative spaces and resources, including a news room, various studios and a cinema.
BA Digital Media is shaped by the demands and requirements of the digital media industry, providing you with an innovative learning experience that is directly relevant to the sector.
You will be at the forefront of technically-driven creation, learning to create graphic and interactive interfaces, and plan and design immersive digital experiences.
This course is designed with your future employability at its heart. You will be encouraged to apply your skills through a work placement in year three, where you will gain first-hand, practical experience that will enhance your CV. You will also work on practical projects, ranging from developing an online advertising campaign, to creating a mobile app, depending on the pathway you choose.
You will graduate as a highly-skilled digital media designer, with an arsenal of sought-after skills such as content creation, A/V production for digital media, interactive storytelling, design for multimedia, web and app design, and digital and social media management.
How you will learn
The course is very practice based, with a strong foundation in theory, starting with a broad grounding in digital media production, and allowing you to specialise in your interest areas as you progress through the three years.
You will be taught in lectures of varying sizes, and in practical workshops run by academics with an industry background, experienced practitioners, technical trainers and invited industry guest speakers, covering off all aspects of digital media.
The Department is well connected within the creative industry, and you will have opportunities to network and build your own contacts.
You will be taught to use digital methods and techniques to research digital audiences; to design and manage online advertising and campaigns; and to develop digital products using a variety of platforms and professional tools, such as motion and web graphics, non-linear story-telling and design for multimedia.
You will learn to use industry standard software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Final Cut Pro X, Kyno, Motion and Toon Boon Harmony. If you’re interested, you can also learn to code in Java and HTML5, CSS and Python in technical workshops.
- Learn both the practical and theoretical foundations of digital media production. We’ll encourage you to reflect on digital cultures and the social and political implications of digital media.
- Begin building your digital media design skills, including interactive storytelling, A/V production, visual design and the basics of programming. You don’t need to be a programmer to take this course; we’ll teach you the high-level skills you need from scratch.
- Deepen your understanding of digital cultures and digital methods, and work on a variety of individual and group projects.
- Optional modules allow you to study digital audience analysis, online advertising and branding, advanced digital media design and production, and motion and web graphics.
- Specialise more in certain areas with your module choices, but the core modules will ensure you become an all-round digital professional who can communicate, research and design across platforms in the context of media convergence.
- Assessments will include industry briefs, and you will take a career-preparation module to get you ready for your placement in year three.
- Undertake your job placement and learn digital project management skills.
- Work on a major project in one sector of digital media practice of your choice.
You will be well equipped to work in a broad spectrum of roles, including digital editor and writer, digital communication manager, web designer, digital campaign manager, social media content manager, online PR manager, customer experience manager, online advertiser, digital assets curator, UX [user experience] designer, interactive media designer and digital project manager.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interview, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll have lots of opportunity to work with our partners across London and beyond, and also to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.