The University of Roehampton is pleased to be part of the South-east Network for Social Sciences (SeNSS), a consortium of 10 universities working as a Doctoral Training Partnership to offer Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) studentships.
Candidates can apply through Roehampton for SeNSS studentships in two pathways - education and social anthropology. Applications are now invited for October 2019 entry.
Eligibility for ESRC funding
You must ensure that you fulfil all three eligibility criteria set up by the ESRC. These are:
- Academic: for 1+3 awards (Masters plus PhD) you must have gained a 2.1 at least in your bachelor's degree; for +3 (PhD-only) awards you must be in possession of a relevant, and ESRC-recognised, Master's degree.
- Residency: for a full award (fees plus annual stipend) you must be a UK citizen and/or have resided in the UK for a minimum of three years prior to application; EU residents are eligible for fee-only awards. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact email@example.com.
- Discipline: ESRC funding at Roehampton is available only for the pathways listed above; research topics which do not fall under these areas are not eligible for ESRC funding.
More advice on ESRC eligibility criteria can be obtained from the relevant academic lead, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also consult the ESRC Postgraduate Funding Guide, for further information on the different levels of funding available and the associated terms and conditions.
Prospective or eligible current doctoral students AND prospective Masters plus PhD students who would like to apply for a SeNSS studentship at Roehampton must do so via the SeNSS online application system, Fluidreview. Roehampton will be notified of your application automatically via Fluidreview. You will also need to complete the Roehampton online application.
Your application will then go through a two-stage process:
- The University of Roehampton will review your application and consider whether to offer you a place to study at Roehampton. At the same time, Roehampton will consider whether to progress your application through the SeNSS selection process.
- If it is considered that your application should be progressed, an internal panel will review your application and consider whether to progress your application to the external review stage of the process. If it is progressed to the external review phase, a panel of SeNSS members subject specialists will review your application and decide whether you should be awarded funding.
At the same time as completing your application online, via Fluidreview, you should also make contact with the relevant Pathway Lead to talk informally about your proposed research, what supervision is available, and your eligibility for SeNSS. If you are a 1+3 candidate, you will also discuss eligible Masters programmes. Collaborative proposals (with a partner organisation) can be considered.
Completed applications must be received by 4pm on Friday 18 January 2019. Interviews will take place between 23 and 30 Jan for applicants who have indicated interest in a SeNSS studentship. You are required to have made contact with the relevant department to express your interest in a SeNSS studentship and to have begun both the SeNSS and Roehampton online applications by 7 December 2018.
Following the interview process, you will have an opportunity to discuss and refine your application and update it on Fluidreview.
Applications must be completed by Thursday 31st January, 2019.
You will be advised whether your application is going forward to SeNSS’s Final Selection Panel by end February. Studentship awards are likely to be made by end April 2018.
How to Apply
Roehampton online application - Details of how to apply via the Roehampton online application can be found here
Fluidreview online application
Detailed guidance about using the Fluidreview system can be found here. It is essential that you read through the Guidance Notes.
Your SeNSS application must be submitted by midnight 31 Jan 2019 to email@example.com
Should you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us at SENSS@roehampton.ac.uk