On this programme you will gain an in-depth knowledge of finance and banking, as well as risk management, elevating your skills in-line with increased workplace demand.
MSc and PG Certificate:
MSc: 1 year (full-time) or 2 years (part-time) plus optional year-long placement (FT only)
PGDip: 8 months (full-time)
PGCert: 4 months (full-time)
Number of credits:
MSc: 180 credits at Level 7
PGDip: 120 credits at Level 7
PGCert: 60 credits at Level 7
Postgraduate, Master's and Doctoral On-Campus Open Evening
Wednesday 1 November 2023, 5–7.30pm
University of Roehampton London is ranked top 10 in the UK for postgraduate student satisfaction (PTES 2022)
Why this course
Programme is designed to cover syllabi of relevant professional bodies including the Chartered Banker Institute (CBI), Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) and Institute of Risk Management (IRM) which can help with career development, professional qualifications and networking opportunities.
Optional one-year work placement on the full-time MSc.
Strong employment prospects post-graduation as there is increasing demand for finance and banking professionals with risk management knowledge.
Flexible study options mean you can opt to work towards a PGCert or PGDip before committing to an MSc. This may suit those already working in the industry and looking to upskill.
Course and Module Details
Are you currently working in, or looking to move into, the financial services industry? This distinct new MSc programme provides an innovative and flexible approach allowing you to upskill or specialise in your career.
The addition of risk management to this programme makes this a unique degree which will prepare you for a number of roles in business and finance, including risk officer.
You can choose to complete the full masters programme, or a shorter PGCert or PGDip. The programme consists of the following pathways:
- PG Certificate Banking & Finance
- PG Certificate Risk Management
- PG Diploma Banking, Finance & Risk Management
- MSc in Banking, Finance & Risk Management
MSc Banking, Finance and Risk Management
If you choose to do the full masters programme you will learn about international corporate finance, strategic investment and banking and wealth management. You will also complete modules looking at risk management and corporate governance, how to identify and manage risks and how to measure and monitor organisational resilience and sustainability.
On the MSc you will also develop practical research skills and undertake a consultancy project or research-based dissertation.
Banking and Finance pathway
On this pathway you will focus solely on international corporate finance, strategic investment and banking and wealth management.
Risk Management pathway
This pathway will cover risk management, corporate governance, and project risk appraisal. You will learn how to identify and manage risks and how to measure and monitor organisational resilience and sustainability.
Whichever pathway you choose, you will develop key skills in information searching, data collection, problem-solving, communications, and report-writing.
Modules will be assessed by coursework assignments and you will apply your knowledge to specific business contexts.
You will keep up-to-date with business and financial news, and current issues facing businesses and the financial services industry through case-studies and peer-to-peer debate.
Employability skills are embedded into the programme. For example, you will use learning logs to personalise your learning and become a reflective practitioner.
These modules are those we currently offer and may be subject to change each year.
Tuition fees and funding
September 2023 / January 2024 entry tuition fees
Year 1 fees, see links in table below for more information.
2023/24 entry funding
The Banking and Finance pathways will prepare you to work in either corporate finance or in the financial services industry. Whereas the Risk Management pathways will help you secure work in business risk management, project management or hybrid roles.
These pathways combined will allow you to take on general management, hybrid or consultancy roles in a wide range of sectors.
On the MSc, the consultancy project will help prepare you for a career as a consultant, whilst the dissertation option allows you to explore a relevant topic of your choice in-depth and may lead to further research/study (i.e. a doctorate programme).
How to apply
You can now apply for any programme for any entry point in 2023.
All postgraduate taught applications can be made via our online application form.
- Check our application deadlines
- View our entry requirements for postgraduate programmes
- View our general entry criteria and application FAQs below
If you need any help or advice with your application, or just want to ask us a question before you apply, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please note that most international applicants have to pay a deposit before securing their place.
- See our Finance pages for more details
Postgraduate application process FAQs
How do I apply?
To apply, you need to complete our online application form.
Do I need to complete all of my online application at once?
No, you can save and revisit your application form and can contact us directly at any time if you need advice or assistance.
What are the entry criteria and fees?
We have general entry requirements for postgraduate courses. Many of our courses also have specific entry requirements. You can find details of these, and the fees for individual courses, on our postgraduate course pages.
What is the deadline for postgraduate applications?
If you are a prospective postgraduate student who has home fee status, then you can apply close to the start of the course of study. However, if you have international fee status and require a Tier 4 Visa, then you will normally need to apply much earlier. Please see our application deadlines for postgraduate study.
We encourage all students to apply as early as possible, as some programmes have limited numbers.
Does Roehampton offer financial support for postgraduates?
Yes, we offer a range of scholarships, alongside support on managing your finances while you are with us.
You can find more information on our postgraduate home and postgraduate international financial support pages. There are also other sources of external funding for international students available.
Do you offer student accommodation for postgraduates?
Yes, we have a wide range of high quality and competitively priced on-campus student residences. We are able to offer quiet rooms and can adjust for those with specific access needs.
Find out more on our accommodation pages.
Join a Business School with a social conscience
At Roehampton Business School we provide you with a flexible, career-focused journey towards successful and fulfilling graduate careers. Roehampton Business School is an inclusive learning community. We want our students to become business leaders who will have a positive impact on society through their ethos, their company culture and through an understanding and appreciation of sustainability. These values are embedded in both our teaching and research.
Below you can find the ways that Roehampton Business School will help you in both your studies and your future career.
- Dedicated career service with a team of careers specialists to provide support and guidance.
- All students have the option to include a one-year work placement as part of their degree.
- Our Business Advisory Board comprise senior business leaders who work closely with us to ensure that our courses are industry-relevant and cutting-edge.
- Access to events with guest speakers and professional bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (all of which accredit the Business School degrees).
- Experience the opportunities that come with the Roehampton Business School working closely with the neighboring chambers of commerce including the Wandsworth Chambers of Commerce.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international business competitions.
- Our UG Business courses are taught on two days per week in year one, giving you the space to undertake part-time work and fit your studies around other commitments.
- We have excellent facilities for commuting students, including a free bus service, free on-campus parking and free bicycle storage facilities.
- You will receive remote access to your learning resources so you can learn from home as well as campus.
- You can participate in opportunities to share student research. The Sticky Campus Conference can be viewed here.
London’s Campus University
- You will study on a beautiful and safe parkland campus that will inspire you.
- First-rate facilities including (in our view) the best university library in London.
- We have the Esports Arena based in the Business School for those who are into competitive gaming or just want to relax after lectures.
Need help before you apply?
Doing all we can to support our students' lives at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.