Gain the knowledge to develop and implement digital marketing strategies in a socially responsible manner.
September start: 1 year (full-time) or 2 years (part-time)
Please add an additional year if undertaking a placement.
Number of credits:
180 credits at Level 7
This course offers the addition of a placement year with placement preparation workshops.
This degree is accredited by The Institute of Data and Marketing (IDM).
Participate in the Global Leadership Programme which will develop your skillset and professionalism through lectures, workshops and networking.
Have open access to professional certifications around social media management, i.e. Hootsuite.
Course and Module Details
Digital marketing is a fast moving landscape, so it is important that you are able to respond quickly to trends and data to ensure your organisation stays ahead. This MSc Digital Marketing will give you the knowledge to develop and implement digital marketing strategies in a socially responsible manner. You will learn how to analyse complex data for informed decision-making, and develop practical skills in web design, content creation, campaign development and data analysis using a range of techniques and digital products.
If you are ambitious and want to be a leader in marketing and digital technology this MSc Digital Marketing is for you. The programme benefits from the Roehampton Business School’s wider marketing research expertise and practitioner links within the marketing profession in London and abroad. In addition to the academic course you will have the opportunity to join our Global Leadership Programme.
This degree is accredited by The Institute of Data and Marketing (IDM). Students taking an IDM accredited course are eligible to sit an online exam to achieve the IDM Certificate in Digital and Data-Driven Marketing (a small additional fee will apply with a limited number of bursaries available).The IDM has over 30 years’ experience helping marketers reach the next level in their career and offers industry recognised professional qualifications.
These modules are those we currently offer and may be subject to change each year.
The MSc with placement offers students the opportunity to complete a placement year (30 weeks) during Year 2. The aim of the placement experience is to provide a route for students to develop genuine and practical problem-solving skills in a professional context, to apply learned concepts into practice within their fields of specialism, and to enable students to gain a better understanding of your own abilities and employment potential.
If you are an international student on a visa, your CAS will have a course duration of two years, subject to meeting the UKVI’s standard requirements.
Please be aware that placements:
- are not guaranteed;
- are typically unpaid;
- include a programme of support to assist students in researching, applying for, and finding an appropriate placement;
- must be verified and approved prior to commencement; and
- will be monitored for quality and attendance.
Placement preparation & support
- As part of Postgraduate degrees with placement, students are enrolled in a compulsory Placement Preparation Module (which include a series of workshops) that take place in Term 1 of Year 1. The workshops and activities in this module are designed to help students find and secure a placement and develop key employability skills and knowledge to succeed in the world of work.
- Attendance on the Placement Preparation Module is compulsory with a requirement that the student attends 80% of the timetabled workshops and fully engages with the module requirements and with the Careers and Placement teams.
- The Careers and Placement teams will support students by providing advice on topics such as exploring career paths, CVs, Cover Letters, and interview skills.
- During the placement year, students will undertake a placement with an employer and complete a 40P credit Placement Module.
- To be eligible for the Placement Module, students must have successfully passed taught modules (students do not have to have completed the Consultancy Project (RBP040L052) or the Dissertation (RBP040L051) before the commencement of the placement), met the requirements of the Placement Preparation Module, and secured an approved placement.
- A placement is not guaranteed. The University will offer guidance and support and recommend students to interested organisations; however, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure a placement.
- The placement can be full-time or part-time (a minimum of 3 working days, 21-24 hours per week) and can be carried out in-person or remotely, and through work-based projects.
- The placement will ideally be tailored to your interests and aspirations but ultimately meets the needs of employers and must provide relevant experience in line with the learning outcomes of your academic programme. Whereas the roles offered may vary, the emphasis should be on securing a placement within promising growth areas of your discipline and, on both applying and developing existing knowledge and skills in the work place as well as gaining new knowledge and skills.
Tuition fees and funding
January and April 2023 entry tuition fees
Year 1 fees, see links in table below for more information.
|UK||EU and International||Placement year|
2022/23 academic year funding
September 2023 entry tuition fees
Year 1 fees, see links in table below for more information.
Graduates from this programme are equipped with the knowledge and skills to work in a variety of digital marketing roles that champion new technology, best online business models and emerging shapes of digital marketing communication and campaigns. These likewise apply to large corporations, innovative SMEs and marketing agencies leading on new technology & marketing techniques.
How to apply
You can now apply for any programme for any entry point in 2023.
All postgraduate taught applications can be made via our online application form.
- Check our application deadlines
- View our entry requirements for postgraduate programmes
- View our general entry criteria and application FAQs below
If you need any help or advice with your application, or just want to ask us a question before you apply, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please note that most international applicants have to pay a deposit before securing their place.
- See our Finance pages for more details
Postgraduate application process FAQs
No, you can save and revisit your application form and can contact us directly at any time if you need advice or assistance.
If you are a prospective postgraduate student who has home fee status, then you can apply close to the start of the course of study. However, if you have international fee status and require a Tier 4 Visa, then you will normally need to apply much earlier. Please see our application deadlines for postgraduate study.
We encourage all students to apply as early as possible, as some programmes have limited numbers.
Yes, we offer a range of scholarships, alongside support on managing your finances while you are with us.
Yes, we have a wide range of high quality and competitively priced on-campus student residences. We are able to offer quiet rooms and can adjust for those with specific access needs.
Find out more on our accommodation pages.
Doing all we can to support our students' lives at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.