- Optional professional placement year
- Develop creative capacity as well as business understanding
- Benefit from our brand new, state-of-the-art media facilities
- Learn through activities that are authentic replicas of those undertaken by practioners in the field
- Learn from experts and external practioners working in industry
- Opportunity to exhibit work at an MCL degree show, and graduate with a portfolio
This professionally-oriented BA Media Communications is designed to provide you with the creative and critical thinking, executive skills and business awareness to succeed in the creative industries.
You will learn about the key media functions that define consumer culture, including marketing, branding PR, advertising, data and audience engagement. This degree will provide you with a deep insight into a rapidly-evolving industry, and give you broad based skills ranging from media production to data analytics.
You’ll learn project management, PR, and practical creative skills such as radio and podcasting, photography and feature writing. You will develop the ability to devise and target messages for a wide range of audiences, and understand storytelling and media language. You will have the opportunity to conduct research on key topics relating to media communications and will be encouraged to reflect on your own role as a consumer and creator of media content.
You’ll gain important insights into how audiences engage with brands and companies using audio-visual experiences, which will allow you to offer a valuable and informed contribution, particularly to those industries seeking to understand new trends and engage with youth markets.
This practice-based, industry-facing programme is designed to give you real world experience. You will be taught by industry practitioners and will have the opportunity to do a year-long work placement as part of your degree. You will be assessed in a variety of methods, including oral presentations, ‘real world’ case study projects and portfolio work.
When you graduate you’ll be well-placed to go into a number of industries that require multi-skilled media professionals who are aware of the wider importance of media within society and its impact on society.
- Learn how to create and manipulate images for the web, exploring and experimenting with a range of techniques, and become proficient in a range of digital imaging tools such as the Adobe suite.
- You will be introduced to the fundamental concepts, methodologies and techniques to conduct online research.
- Develop journalistic skills, including research, identifying and interviewing credible sources, editing texts and selecting stories for publication.
- Understand how media and communication work to influence society, preparing you for the more detailed exploration of different aspects of the media environment in the following years.
- Explore television in the contemporary world, looking at how audiences and online distribution, commercialisation and transnationalisation impact its production and consumption.
- Tailor your degree by choosing modules that fit with your interests, whether its developing your research skills, learning how to create effective multiplatform and mobile campaigns, or practicing journalism skills and radio and podcast production.
- Develop your employability and career skills, engaging with mentors and building strategies and plans for your future employment.
- Understand the role of public relations and develop both theoretical knowledge and practice based, professional skills that will give you experience to take into the workplace.
- Choose to study how media functions as an important part of any modern democracy, looking at examples from around the world of broadcasting, newspapers and radio, considering debates that arise and what the future of the web might be.
- Opportunity to take a work placement in an area that interests you, developing and applying what you have learned over the course of your degree.
Here are some example modules you may complete on this course
The Business of Media
Digital Methods 1
The Art of the Story
Journalists and the World 1
Online video production
Languages for All
Marketing in Practice
The Craft of the Story
The Power of Data
Digital Methods 2
Strategic Digital Communications
Radio and Podcasting
Extended Professional Placement
Media Practice Project
Public Relations in Practice
Advanced Professional Skills
International Challenges and the Media
Mediating the Self
The Media, the Critic and the Public Sphere
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.