- Optional professional placement year
- Develop creative capacity as well as business understanding
- Learn through activities that correspond to working practices of communications professionals
- Learn from experts and practioners working in industry
- Opportunity to exhibit your final project at a degree show, and to graduate with a portfolio
- Graduate salaries for Roehampton Journalism and Media degrees are the 5th highest in London. (LEO 2020)
- Study in our brand-new, state-of-the-art media facilities - find out more
This professionally-oriented BA Media and Communications is designed to provide you with the creative and critical thinking, executive skills and business awareness to succeed in the creative industries.
You will learn about the key media functions that define consumer culture, including marketing, branding PR, advertising, data and audience engagement. This degree will provide you with a deep insight into a rapidly-evolving industry, and give you broad based skills ranging from media production to data analytics.
Working with practitioners and experts, you will develop practical skills in digital media production, project management, and creative skills in diverse formats including radio and podcasting, photography and feature writing. You will develop the ability to devise and target messages for a wide range of audiences, and understand storytelling and media language. You will have the opportunity to conduct research on key topics relating to media communications and will be encouraged to reflect on your own role as a consumer and creator of media content.
You will gain important insights into how audiences engage with brands and companies using audio-visual experiences. This will enable you to offer a valuable and informed contribution, particularly to those industries seeking to understand new trends and engage with youth markets.
This practice-based, industry-facing programme is designed to give you real world experience. You will be taught by industry practitioners and will have the opportunity to do a year-long work placement as part of your degree. You will be assessed in a variety of methods, including oral presentations, ‘real world’ case study projects and portfolio work.
When you graduate you’ll be well-placed to go into a number of industries that require multi-skilled communications professionals who are aware of the wider social and commercial importance of media.
- Learn how to create and edit images for the web, exploring and experimenting with a range of techniques. Become proficient in a range of digital imaging tools such as the Adobe suite.
- You will be introduced to the fundamental concepts, methods and techniques to conduct online research.
- Develop journalistic skills, including research, identifying and interviewing credible sources, editing texts and selecting stories for publication.
- Understand the business of media, preparing you for the more detailed exploration of different aspects of the media environment in the following years.
- Learn marketing and digital communications strategies, including how media businesses work with data.
- Tailor your degree by choosing modules that fit with your interests, whether its developing your research skills, learning how to create effective multiplatform and mobile campaigns, or practicing journalism skills and radio and podcast production.
- Explore television in the contemporary world, including audiences and online distribution.
- Develop your employability and career skills, engaging with mentors and building strategies and plans for your future employment.
- Understand the role of public relations and develop both theoretical knowledge and practice based, professional skills that will give you experience to take into the workplace.
- Choose to study how media functions as an important part of any modern democracy, looking at examples from around the world of broadcasting, newspapers and radio, considering debates that arise and what the future of the web might be.
- Opportunity to take a work placement in an area that interests you, developing and applying what you have learned over the course of your degree.
- Create a final project to showcase your skills.
Here are some example modules you may complete on this course
Optional Extened Professional Placement
All students studying Media and Communications will have the option to apply for as 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
You will be well equipped to work in a broad spectrum of roles, including digital editor and writer, digital communication manager, web designer, digital campaign manager, social media content manager, online PR manager, customer experience manager, online advertiser, digital assets curator, interactive media designer and digital project manager.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interview, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll have lots of opportunity to work with our partners across London and beyond, and also to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
The BA Media and Communications course offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement between years 2 & 3 of the course. A placement year is the perfect opportunity to gain valuable work experience and skills within an industry or sector of choice.
In your first two years of study you will learn about industry needs and skills required to be successful in applying for a placement through a series of workshops and curriculum based sessions. You will be encouraged to develop your Personal Development Plan and CV and will be provided with access to the University's support services including Placements, Careers and Academic Guidance.
Please note, the Placements team will offer support and guidance in searching for and applying to placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.