- A Sport and Exercise BSc provides a firm foundation for a career in the sports industry.
- Taught by highly experienced and published researchers – all experts in their field.
- Access to state-of-the-art physiology and biomechanics laboratories.
- We are ranked 3rd in London for Sport and Exercise Sciences (Complete University Guide 2020).
- We have partnerships with a number of leading sports organisations, including Crystal Palace FC and the Lawn Tennis Association.
Study the science behind sport and exercise at Roehampton. You’ll learn how to optimise athletic performance, prevent injuries, improve wellbeing and help athletes with recovery.
Sport and Exercise Science is made up of three areas – the biology and biochemistry of the body (physiology); the physical demands on the body (biomechanics); and the response of the mind (psychology).
This Sport and Exercise Sciences degree will give you in-depth knowledge of how these three sciences underpin sport and exercise, to help you build a successful career in the sports industry.
You will learn about the latest sport theory and practice, and gain hands-on experience working in lab settings with specialised modern equipment.
Developing a strong base of scientific knowledge, you will explore how to address key contemporary issues, such as how to optimise team performance and improve recovery, how to build the mobility of amputees, and how to cope with extreme environmental conditions.
Our enthusiastic tutors provide lively interactive ways to learn, ensuring you will have the best possible experience. Building key skills, including the ability to analyse and understand scientific data and information, you will go away in a strong position to build a career in the sports industry or beyond.
Recent modules have included Applied Sport and Exercise Science, which explores performance analysis techniques for both team and individual sports; Psychology of Peak Performance, where you will discover the psychological theories and skills that apply to promoting peak performance, including the newest psychological developments; and Biomechanics: Performance & Injury, which will help you put the theory into practice using data from scientific measurements to improve athlete performance.
- Start exploring the three key academic disciplines that make up sport sciences - physiology, psychology and biomechanics - and develop a range of skills for studying sport and exercise.
- Modules might include Introduction to Physiology and Fitness Assessment, Biomechanical Analysis of Movement, or Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Expand your knowledge of the subject and spend many hours in the laboratory practically applying your knowledge and skills.
- Recent examples of modules include Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology, Psychology of Peak Performance and Applied Biomechanics.
- Choose modules to tailor your programme to your own specific interests.
- Choose to carry out an independent research dissertation in an area that interests you.
- Modules might include Advanced Topics in Psychology, Biomechanics: Performance and Injury and Training Programmes.
Here are examples of the modules we currently offer:
Work Place Learning
Exercise and Health
Advanced Topics in Psychology
Biomechanics: Performance and Injury
Limitations to Performance and Training
Advances in Nutrition and Health
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
You could go on to work in a wide range of roles in the sports industry or related fields, including as a sports therapist, coach, personal trainer, teacher, lecturer or within sport development and administration. You could also continue onto postgraduate study.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.