- A Sport and Exercise BSc provides a firm foundation for a career in the sports and exercise industry.
- Taught by highly experienced and published researchers – all experts in their field.
- Access to state-of-the-art physiology and biomechanics laboratories.
- We are ranked 3rd in London for Sport and Exercise Sciences (Complete University Guide 2020).
- We have partnerships with a number of leading sports organisations, including Crystal Palace FC, the Lawn Tennis Association, Fulham FC, Hercules Wimbledon Athletics Club, schools and coaching agencies.
- Roehampton is the top university in London for graduate earnings in Sports and Exercise Sciences (Longitudinal Education Outcomes, 2020 results, earnings five years after graduation).
Study the science behind sport and exercise at Roehampton. You’ll learn how to optimise athletic performance, prevent injuries, improve wellbeing and help athletes with recovery.
Sport and Exercise Science is made up of three core disciplines: Physiology (the branch of biology that deals with of how the body functions), Biomechanics (the study of movement of the body and the forces that underpin movement), and Psychology (the study of the mind and behavior). Our Sport and Exercise Sciences degree will give you in-depth understanding of the application of these sciences to sport and exercise, as well as give you the opportunity to study other related topics including nutrition and health.
Our enthusiastic tutors and state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment provide lively interactive ways to learn, ensuring you will have the best possible experience. We emphasise both theoretical and practical understanding across the range of disciplines, ensuring that our students have subject knowledge, and an ability to apply knowledge appropriately along with employability skills to ensure they become quality graduates in a strong position to build careers in the sports & exercise industry or beyond.
Aspects of our curriculum design that are of particular note include:
- The option to study all three core disciplines (Biomechanics, Physiology, and Psychology) as well as Nutrition across all three years, not just in some years.
- The option to undertake your final year dissertation project in either a ‘by-research’ or in a ‘by-practice’ format. The former is a traditional format suited to those particularly interested in the generation of new knowledge (research). The latter is a novel format, not widely available elsewhere. It is designed for those particularly interested in provision of sport science support to clients.
- The presence of an optional module in which students can gain relevant vocational experience as part of their studies (Work Place Learning).
- Start exploring the three key academic disciplines that make up sport sciences - physiology, psychology and biomechanics - and develop a range of skills for studying sport and exercise.
- Modules might include Introduction to Physiology and Fitness Assessment, Biomechanical Analysis of Movement, or Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Expand your knowledge of the subject and spend many hours in the laboratory practically applying your knowledge and skills.
- You will also have the opportunity to undertake modules which emphasise employability skills, work experience and the application of knowledge you have gained to real-world scenarios.
- Choose modules to tailor your programme to your own specific interests.
- Choose to carry out either an independent research-focused dissertation or an independent practitioner-focused dissertation in an area that interests you.
Here are examples of the modules we currently offer:
Dissertation by Research
Work Place Learning (can be taken in Year 2 or 3)
Exercise and Health
Advanced Topics in Psychology
Biomechanics: Performance and Injury
Limitations to Performance and Training
Advances in Nutrition and Health
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
You could go on to work in a wide range of roles in sports & exercise domains, including sports science support, performance analysis, strength & conditioning, personal training, coaching, sports development and sports administration. Having developed scientific, analytical and employability skills you will also be in a position to apply for general graduate level jobs in a wide range of fields outside the sport & exercise domains. You could also continue onto postgraduate study (e.g. PhD, MSc, PGCE) to enable academic, research, or teaching careers.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.