Disability and Dyslexia


Image -  Disability and Dyslexia 



You do not have to disclose your disability, however, we strongly recommend that you do.

You will be given opportunities to disclose a disability, for example, on your UCAS form, and you can disclose at any time during your studies here at Roehampton.  Disclosing allows us to put support in place for you and for your department to know what your support needs are.

By not disclosing you will limit the support the University can provide, such as making sure lecture venues are accessible, exams adjustments etc.

For some courses, it is mandatory to declare any disability-related needs on a Declaration of Health form. This will be sent to you in the Admissions process. 

You can contact our service any time for a confidential chat about disclosing a disability.  

Exam adjustments will need to be in place three months prior to an exam. All exam adjustments will be formally documented in your Summary of Adjustments (SoA).  

In order to explore exam adjustments, please contact the Disability Service with your: 

  • Medical evidence/diagnostic report
  • Disclosure form

The Disability Service do not grant extensions/deferrals, however, your Summary of Adjustments (SoA) can be used as evidence to support your request.

You can find guidance for Mitigating Circumstances on the student portal:

Mitigating circumstances (roehampton.ac.uk) 

If you need support, please contact your department administrator directly:

Academic Services (roehampton.ac.uk) 

If you do not have an SoA and wish to explore this, please contact our team.  

You can find information on parking on campus at the following link: Car Parking FAQs | University of Roehampton

Permits are prioritised for Blue Badge holders and students with temporary physical impairments, due to accident or injury. You will need to share a copy of your Blue Badge and/or supporting medical evidence. If you have a disability-related need for a parking permit, please contact the Disability Service: disabilities@roehampton.ac.uk 

You can find out more about adjustments in accommodation and how to apply for these here: Accommodation: Specific Requirements | University of Roehampton

You will need to provide medical evidence to support any requests for disability-related needs in accommodation.  

You will still need to apply online for accommodation via https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/accommodation/ 

You will need to contact the health and safety team to discuss a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP).  We strongly recommend that students engage in this process where necessary.  You can find out more about this here: New students: Health and Safety | University of Roehampton

Support for personal care, night time care, or support with independent living cannot be funded or provided by the university, or through Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).  

Personal care and support for independent living is accessed either through Personal Independence Payments (PIP); funding you receive from the NHS or social care services; or self-funded.

If you do not have any funded support in place and will require this at university, you will need to contact your local authority as soon as possible. You can find out more about how to do this here: Getting a social care needs assessment - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Please do get in contact at the earliest opportunity to discuss your needs with our team.

The Library is a fully accessible building.  You can also find out about library specific support and services on their website here:

Support for Disabled and Dyslexic Students - Accessibility - Library Home at University of Roehampton

We work directly with students to best understand your support needs but know that you may wish a parent/guardian to be involved in initial support discussions. Please see our Parent Guide here:  Parent and carers’ guide

Please refer to the University’s ‘Animals on campus’ policy: animalsoncampuspolicy_feb2022.pdf (roehampton.ac.uk)