Environment and Sustainability
The University of Roehampton recognises its duty to protect the environment and to also conserve the biodiversity of our beautiful green campus.
We committed to management of our environmental aspects and impacts and aim to embed sustainability across all of our activities and operations.
In particular, we aim to reduce our environmental impacts from waste, energy, water, transport, emission to air, and releases to land.
Some of the ways we will work towards achieving this include:
- Eliminating the use of single-use plastics in our catering facilities and their non-essential use across campus
- Introducing paperless committees
- Placing food sustainability at the heart of our offer and focus on providing affordable, healthy and environmentally sustainable food across campus.
- Working with the Students' Union to promote environmentally sustainable activities and behaviours
- Continuing to make a positive contribution to environmental sustainability, such as conservation, ecology and biodiversity, through our research and knowledge exchange
- Working with external stakeholders to develop and promote the use of cycling and e-bike infrastructure on campus and in the local area
- Providing and promoting recycling facilities across campus
Our campus is also home to the RSU's Growhampton project which engages with students on sustainability and ethical food. The University's Biodiversity Group has also recently achieved a bronze accreditation from the Hedgehog Friendly Campus scheme, an initiative to protect hedgehogs which is funded by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society.