- Our MSc Global Financial Management will help transform your mindset and the way you understand global finance and the strategic context within which global firms operate and make financial decisions.
- You will be prepared for managerial roles in international finance, with a focus on financial management and strategy within global organisations. You will study both the principals of global finance as well as contemporary aspects of investment and capital.
- Take advantage of the City’s concentration of global businesses and its financial institutions such as the Bank of England or London Stock Exchange, in order to develop your management skills and career.
- You will join the Global Leadership Programme, an extracurricular programme of professional development workshops and company visits designed to help you develop the skills needed to succeed in a fast-paced global business.
- As a graduate you will receive a dual award Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).
- This course offers the addition of a placement year with placement preparation workshops.
The programme meets the needs of graduates who wish to enter a career in corporate finance but may not have the relevant academic background or work experience. It will provide you with a holistic understanding of finance and business strategy in a global context and you will focus on a critical understanding of financial management, investment and capital markets in theory and practice.
The Roehampton MSc Global Financial Management has been designed with input from a panel of business advisors and successful business leaders to address the demand for financial strategists in global corporations and organisations. You will be equipped with a global perspective and learn the financial skills needed to make an impact in international organisations. You will, for instance, look at ways to fund investments, free up capital whilst reducing costs and optimize financial performance.
The programme aims to prepare you to effectively address contemporary challenges of finance and apply latest management practices in dynamic and volatile global markets. In addition to the academic programme of study, you will have the opportunity to join our Global Leadership Programme.
There is also the opportunity (subject to fees and availability) to join an international management field trip to a European country, where you will visit companies, practice teamwork and have the opportunity to reflect on current management issues and strategic solutions.
The Roehampton MSc Global Financial Management offers a demanding and stimulating programme of study, informed by the internationally recognised research of our academic faculty, with an emphasis placed on providing you with the financial management and evaluation capabilities that are required by global corporations, policy making bodies and international SMEs. Academics and practitioners that are leading experts in strategic aspects of finance deliver the programme.
The programme is characterised by quality teaching that is research informed, with a focus on real life case study discussion and the application of theoretical frameworks to finance in large and small companies. You will develop a critical understanding of financial management, explore the strategic context within which global firms operate and investigate contemporary aspects of investment and international capital. You will also be introduced to major business functions including global strategy and cross-cultural dimensions of marketing, leadership and organisational change.
You will be encouraged to engage in personal professional development through active participation in the Global Leadership Programme, aimed at equipping you with the skills that are critical to succeed in today’s fast-pace business world.
The MSc Global Financial Management characterised by:
- A carefully designed and calibrated set of modules across management and finance, providing you with a global financial outlook and analytical skills.
- The opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge to real financial management decisions.
- In-depth and holistic inquiry of finance through corporate strategist and finance specialist lenses.
- Learning and teaching focused on your career-readiness and addressing contemporary challenges in global financial markets.
- A blended approach to teaching and learning that is technology enabled through the use of Moodle.
As a graduate you will receive a dual award Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).
Students who have not previously studied business will be offered additional support in the form of an on-line preparatory, pre-induction programme of study that they will be encouraged to complete before the start of their programme.
Core modules (Autumn Term)
- Business Research Methods
- Strategic Marketing
- Global Strategic Management
- International Corporate Finance
Core modules (Spring Term)
Dissertation and Project Modules
Students must choose one of the following:
* The Consultancy Project requires a suitable organisation that would want to partner with you for fieldwork access. That fieldwork will usually be conducted over a 12 weeks period on-site at the chosen company. You will need to secure the external partner, but will be supported throughout this process by the university’s careers team and the Business School. There are a variety of arrangements the Consultancy Project can take place in, ranging from paid internships to less formalized partnership agreements.
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
Why a Global Leadership Programme?
- Want to experience life as a Management Consultant?
- Want to add valuable experience to your CV?
- Want to network with organisational leaders and global businesses?
The Global Leadership Programme is designed to enhance your career-readiness. It is focussed on your personal professional development through a combination of events, workshops, networking opportunities and industry exposure that address your career-readiness, and your capabilities to act as an effective leader, manager, consultant or entrepreneur.
As part of your Global Leadership Programme you will receive guidance from professional staff from the Careers Service on how to enhance your career path. You will be able to browse through an extensive range of information, literature from professional bodies and self-help materials on CVs and job applications. As part of the workshops, you will be able to take part in confidential interviews to discuss your career plans, applications and forthcoming job interviews. In addition to this, you will be offered the opportunity to practice your presentation and elevator pitch skills at networking events.
If your first degree is not in business and management, you will be offered the opportunity to complete an on-line pre-induction, which is entirely voluntary and non-credit bearing. It is not assessed and it is not a pre-condition for enrolment. It will however provide you with a level of understanding of strategy, management, marketing and international business. This programme is delivered as self-directed study and available once your enrolment has been completed.
The programme will consist of guided readings that you can complete at your own pace at home. You are strongly encouraged to arrive well prepared and to have read through at least some of readings and reflection tasks provided by week 3 of your first semester.
The Pre-Induction website will guide you, once you are enrolled, through the relevant readings and tasks in more detail. It will advance your ability to analyse data and information using basic analytical and managerial techniques and toolkits.
The list of topics:
- Introduction to Management, Marketing & Strategy
- Introduction to Finance and Accounting for Managers
- Introduction to Consumer Behaviour
- Introduction to Managing People and diversity in Organisations
The Placement module is taken by students in year two, once they have completed all other modules.
This placement module recognises the importance of professional experience for pursuing bespoke careers, and so provides the MSc students with the opportunity to apply learned concepts and toolkits into practice of their fields of specialism. You will learn on-the-job, highlight improvements in an organisation’s practices and make a contribution to chosen business projects.
The placement will ideally be tailored to your interests and aspirations but ultimately meets the needs of employers. Whereas the roles offered may vary, the emphasis should be on securing a placement within promising growth areas of your discipline and, on both applying and developing existing knowledge and skills in the work place as well as gaining new knowledge and skills.
Placement Preparation Workshops will introduce you to the soft skills, the pitch and research skills needed to recruit and systematically prepare for a bespoke placement in a leading business organisation.
You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to work in financial management, investment or finance-related advisory roles in international organisations, public administration or multinational firms and international operating SMEs.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.