- Go to Wales on a field trip, and take up the chance to go on a student-funded trip to South Africa.
- Take control of your learning by choosing modules in your area of interest.
- Work in our state-of-the-art laboratories.
- Roehampton is in the top four universities in London for graduate earnings in biological sciences (Longitudinal Education Outcomes, 2018 results, earnings three years after graduation).
- 100% of students in work or further study within six months of graduation (Destination of Leavers of Higher Education, 2018 results).
- We are ranked in the top ten universities in London (Complete University Guide 2020).
Explore current developments in the biological sciences to gain a strong foundation in this rapidly-developing scientific discipline, concerned with the study of living things.
On this fascinating BSc, you will delve into the very essence of life and living organisms, and learn about the molecular, cellular and organismal aspects essential for understanding modern biology.
You will study expanding areas of the field, such as biotechnology, which harnesses cellular and bimolecular processes to develop technologies and products to improve our heath; and recombinant DNA technology, where DNA molecules formed by laboratory methods are used to create brand new sequences of DNA.
Developing your skills and understanding right across the biological disciplines, you will also build your understanding of traditional aspects of animal and plant biology, and learn about the diversity and evolution of life.
This degree provides opportunities to work in our state-of-the-art laboratories, participate in field trips, and conduct your own research projects.
We offer exciting modules such as Chemistry of Life, where you will work in the lab to study the structure, evolution and biochemistry of the cell; Human Ecology, where you will learn about the essentials of human diversity and adaptation; and The Brain in Health and Disease, where you will gain valuable insight into neurobiology and the very latest developments in brain research.
- Begin exploring the key areas of biology, including molecular biology, physiology, ecology, evolution, and the diversity and details of the major animal and plant groups.
- Gain knowledge in basic biochemistry, and biometrics and data handling.
- Focus on the key areas that interest you and choose from a broad range of modules.
- Recent modules have covered topics such as organisms and ecology, evolutionary biology and behaviour, molecular biology, physiology and biomedicine.
- The Research Methods module involves developing a research proposal on a zoological topic of your choice.
- A residential field course in rural south Wales provides a week-long immersion into field and lab data collection.
- Select advanced modules from any area of biology, and specialise further.
- An independent research project accounts for one third of the final-year assessment. You will collect seminal data on a topic of your choice, advancing current knowledge in that area.
- Choose to attend a student-funded field trip to South Africa.
Here are some examples of the various modules we currently offer:
Advances in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Aquatic and Invertebrate Biology
Conservation, People and Wildlife: South African Field Course (optional student funded module)
Human Epidemiology and Pathophysiology
Biological Data Analysis
Human Osteology and Diversity
Primate Behaviour and Cognition
Animal Behaviour and Welfare
Data Analysis for Zoologists and Bioscientists
Human Osteology and Diversity
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
You will develop highly sought-after skills perfect for careers in bioengineering companies, pharmaceutical industries and environmental consultancies. You could also continue your studies at postgraduate level.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.