- This one-year top up programme is designed to provide you with a firm understanding of international banking and finance.
- You will build upon your existing business knowledge and enhance your potential to thrive in a management career in international business or progress onto postgraduate study.
- You will develop the knowledge and skills that employer’s value, including the ability to think critically, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- You will apply contemporary research to explore the latest issues in international business and finance.
This one-year top up programme is designed to provide a firm understanding of international business, corporate strategy and finance, and the ability to apply ethical decision making in business situations. It will equip you with the skills you need for a successful career in financial organisations and multinational businesses.
This top-up degree is designed specifically to develop you as a 'business ready' graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of international business and cross-cultural management, and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
Our academics have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management. You will be supported throughout by your Personal Tutor, who will help to guide your learning and career development. You will also have access to our extensive range of employability events. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
This programme is open for all students in the UK and overseas who wish to transfer to complete the final year of an undergraduate degree, as well as students who have completed study at one of Roehampton's partner institutions.
The programme commences with an extended introduction to academic study, to ensure that you have the academic skills you need to succeed. During the year, you will develop an understanding of corporate strategy and sustainability, and how strategies are developed and adjusted in the context of an increasingly dynamic international market. You will learn how the international banking and monetary system functions in capitalist economies and financial investment decisions are made.
You will also understand the importance of individual and organisational ethical and social responsibility and will learn to apply ethical decision making and responsible management to a range of business situations. Alongside your business studies, you will also further enhance your capacity to use English in a business context through a bespoke English for Business & Finance module.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.*
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the 'business readiness' skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
* Please note: The Business work placement is subject to validation.
This course will equip you with the skills you need for a successful career in financial organisations and multinational businesses. Career opportunities for graduates include corporate finance, banking, insurance and business consultancy, as well as a wide variety of specialist and generalist management roles. This course also prepares to progress to further study with us on our MSc Global Financial Management.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.