- Roehampton has an international reputation as a centre for therapeutic training, attracting students from all over the world.
- The impact of the research submitted by our Department of Psychology is rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- 93% student satisfaction on this course (National Student Survey 2018 results).
- The flexibility to change focus during year one (for example to BA Psychology or Psychology and Counselling).
- 100% of students in work or further study within six months of graduation (Destination of Leavers of Higher Education, 2018 results).
Improve the wellbeing of others and take the first step towards building an inspiring and rewarding career in therapy or psychology, by joining our BA Therapeutic Psychology at Roehampton.
The course combines our well-established strengths in counselling, psychology, and arts and play therapies. It is ideal for students who want to work in the helping professions or pursue careers as counsellors or psychotherapists, without doing a doctorate and becoming a chartered psychologist.
Working with dedicated leading psychology and counselling experts and practitioners, who enthusiastically bring their real-life experience into the classroom, you will develop a range of skills designed to broaden your theoretical understanding of the mind, and build your practical experience and personal development.
This well-rounded learning approach, alongside voluntary work experience, will give you a strong foundation for a career in therapy or further education at postgraduate level.
We offer modules to give you excellent, first-hand counselling experiences. In Introduction to the Arts and Play Therapies, you will explore how the therapeutic relationship can be mediated for a diverse range of people through creative therapies such as art, drama, music, dance, and play. In Practice of Counselling Skills, you will develop your counselling and communication skills through practical and written exercises. In Interpersonal Neurobiology you will explore how therapists can apply evidence from recent research regarding the impact of relationships on our mind/brain/body; and in Psychology in the Real World, you will develop the ability to bridge the gap between psychological theories, research, and real-word practice applications.
- Begin exploring psychology, counselling and the arts and play therapies.
- Understand the theoretical and practical contexts of counselling and therapies, different psychological models and the value of the creative process.
- Explore the self for your own future development as a practitioner.
- Gain a deeper understanding of human behaviour and gain a strong foundation for self-awareness.
- Learn skills related to professional client work in preparation for your volunteer work experience in year three.
- Develop your clinical intuition and reflective skills
- Take up the opportunity to work on a voluntary placement to help people with their psychological needs.
- Gain expertise in managing the counselling process and the research methods most commonly used between clients and therapists
Here are some examples of the various modules we currently offer:
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
You will be in a strong position to build a career as a psychotherapist, counsellor, art psychotherapist, play therapist or drama therapist. You could also take your skills into a safeguarding organisation, the police, social services, education or HR.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
Specialist facilities available for this course
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.