Accommodation FAQs

Applying for accommodation

Anyone applying through Admissions to the University of Roehampton for the first time, including undergraduate, postgraduate, PGCE, study abroad, exchange and foundation students. We also treat students on a foundation or extended degree course as a new student in the first year of their actual degree. 

Any student that is currently studying at the University of Roehampton and has been previously registered on our system. We treat students on a foundation or extended degree course as a new student in the first year of their actual degree.

Yes. You will be provided with information on how to do this at the time. Where possible we will try to find you on-campus accommodation.

No. If you are an undergraduate students, you will need to make us your firm (1st) choice before you can apply for accommodation. 

If you choose not to take up your place on a course at Roehampton, you are not obliged to take up your room, and there will be no cost to you.

You can apply online once you have received a firm offer from the University of Roehampton and you know your student ID number.

If you are having trouble completing your online application, please contact Accommodation Services (020 8392 3166 or email for assistance.

All room offers will be sent out in the summer, after your place at the University of Roehampton is confirmed.

Yes. Please make a note that your course is only for one term/semester on the online application form under ‘any other information’. If we are unable to accommodate you on campus, we will direct you to our Off Campus team for assistance in finding accommodation in the local area.

Yes, you have the option when you apply to give the names of friends you would like to move in with. If we have space, we will aim to accommodate you together.

Please contact us and we will amend your application option on our system. If you decide you do not want a room, please let us know as soon as possible so that another student can take your place.

If you do not receive a confirmation email once you have completed your application, it is important you contact us so we can check your application has been recorded correctly on our system.

Your offer will be sent out via email to the address provided by you. When you apply for accommodation, use a permanent email address rather than a school or college one. Please make sure you check your email regularly, as you need to reply within a week. The offer will include the room details, costs, and dates of residence. You should check details carefully including the start and end date.

You will be asked to read and accept the terms and conditions online as well as pay a £250 deposit and set up a payment plan. If you have a conditional offer from the University of Roehampton, and do not receive the required grades, your deposit will be returned in full.

You will be given one week in which to respond to your accommodation offer. If we do not receive confirmation of your acceptance within that time then your offer will be withdrawn.

We have a limited number of rooms and although we will try to offer students their first preference, this is not always possible. After the start of term, when some rooms become available, it may be possible to change your room.

If you refuse your first offer, we will do everything we can to accomodate your request. However, we cannot guarantee being able to offer you any other room and you will may be placed on a waiting list.

We integrate students from the UK and overseas, which enriches your experience of living in halls.

This varies each year but the en suite rooms are usually the most popular and are therefore sometimes oversubscribed.

Yes. This means if you live locally and want to commute to your classes in the first few weeks of term, you do have a chance of being offered a room later in the term.

Our accommodation is split over the four colleges that make up the University of Roehampton. You can live at any college. It does not have to be where you are studying.

No. However, you can indicate if your room type preference (e.g. en suite) should take priority over your College preference and we will do our best to allocate you a suitable room, which may be in another College.

The majority of halls are mixed gender, but you can request single-gender accommodation and we will try to accommodate your request. You will need to state on your accommodation application if you want single gender  accommodation.

Living on campus

For bedroom:

  • Duvet, pillows and bed linen
  • Towels
  • Coat hangers
  • Bedside or desk lamp
  • Washing powder – laundry facilities can be found across the campus

For en suite bathroom:

  • Bathroom and toilet cleaner
  • Toilet rolls

For the kitchen:

  • Saucepan and frying pan
  • Cooking utensils and cutlery
  • Plate, bowl, mug and drinking glass
  • Tea towel and dishcloth
  • Washing-up liquid

Bedrooms will contain a bed, mattress and mattress cover, desk with drawers, desk chair, curtains, wardrobe, shelving and a waste bin.

Kitchens will contain a microwave, kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board, hoover, and a mop and bucket.

You can purchase bedroom packs and kitchen packs on the estore.

This means electricity, water, Wi-Fi and contents insurance are all included in the rent you pay.

Accommodation occupied only by full-time students is exempt from Council Tax. Therefore, if you live in university halls or live off-campus with other full-time students, you will not get a council tax bill.

Yes. We encourage this environmentally friendly means of transport and we have numerous bike shelters and stands on each campus, including secure storage units which can only be accessed with a Roehampton ID card. Please note that bicycles are not allowed into the halls.

No. Students are requested to notify the University in advance if an assistance animal is needed at the residence as adjustments may need to be made to accommodate it.

The majority of halls are mixed gender, but you can request single-gender accommodation and we will try to accommodate your request. You must state on your accommodation application if you want single gender  accommodation.

Yes, you can make sure you and your friends live together in the same flat, just make sure you include on the notes of your application the names of the people you want to live with and we will ensure that you’re placed with them.

No. However, under exceptional circumstances, requests will be considered if you need to keep important medication in a fridge. Please include this in your accommodation application and be aware you will need to supply medical evidence.

No. Smoking in any University building is forbidden. If you are a smoker you must respect the University regulations and smoke outdoors, away from the accommodation entrances and windows.

Yes. All on-campus accommodation rooms offer internet access via both Ethernet and Wi-Fi. The costs are included in your accommodation fee.

There are landline phones in each hall, which can be used to make internal calls within the University.

We are unable to offer room for you to store any belongings before you move in.

This will depend on where you are living. Our newer flats house between 3-11 people. We also have older style accommodation that houses 17-28 people.

This means that each room includes a private bathroom with a shower, toilet and washbasin.

This means a private shower and wash basin are available in each room but the toilets are shared. These rooms are only available in Newman (in Digby Stuart College).

This means you share bathroom facilities with other students. All standard bedrooms include a washbasin.

In shared-facility flats there are on average seven students to two toilets and two baths/showers.

All our accommodation is self-catered. This means you prepare your own meals in the kitchens within your accommodation. Alternatively, there are catering facilities across the University where you can purchase meals.

This depends on which block you are living in. Many of our flats average around six students to a kitchen, but in the larger halls, kitchens can be shared by up to fourteen.

Each residence for first-years has a Residential Community Leader, a more experienced student who helps all members of the flat to learn to live together constructively, understand College and University procedures and find out where help is available. They act as a liaison between students, the Students' Union, the Colleges and Accommodation Services.

College Warden live on campus. They are there to support students with problems or concerns that arise out of hours. Security will contact the Warden on call when it is necessary.

Bedrooms are not cleaned during the academic year. Students are responsible for keeping their own rooms clean (including bathrooms in en-suite rooms). Vacuum cleaners are provided along with mop and bucket and dustpan and brush. Students must keep the kitchens tidy and are responsible for their own washing up and cleaning of the oven, grill, microwave and fridge/freezer. Kitchens in accommodation will be cleaned weekly. Shared bathrooms, hallways and staircases will be cleaned each weekday.

All rubbish will be removed daily Monday to Friday by the cleaners. At the weekend, students should remove rubbish. All bedrooms will be inspected at least once a term (students will be contacted in advance).

We have rooms with adapted facilities for students with physical disabilities however, wherever possible, the University will adapt facilities to suit individual requirements. If you require any adjustments in your accommodation (eg ensuite; ground floor; lift access) due to a disability, health condition or mental health condition, please contact our Disability Service on

We can offer the option to live with other students who have an interest in quieter accommodation. Students living in these areas would be expected to adopt a particularly moderated lifestyle within their accommodation in respect of alcohol, parties and noise. When applying, you have the option to tick 'yes' to the quieter flat option on your application.

Whilst we will endeavour to allocate you with other students who request this type of accommodation, we are unable to guarantee this.

There are a limited number of 50-week contract rooms available for postgraduate students. Preference is given to first-year postgraduate students. Postgraduate halls are also offered to undergraduate students who have returned to study after a break.

If you're a mature student and want to be in a flat with mature students, please let us know via the free text box when you apply for accommodation, so we can do our best to house you with other mature students.

Accommodation financial information

Tel: +44 (0)20 8392 3110
Or visit us in the main Accommodation Office in  Lawrence Building, room 003, Froebel College.  The office is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

You will be asked to pay a deposit of £250 deposit online to secure your room offer. We accept debit cards and the major credit cards except American Express, Diners Club and JCB.

If you have a problem paying the deposit online you need to contact Accommodation Finance as soon as possible or you will jeopardise your place in halls.

See the fees page.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer a discount to students who pay in full.

Please contact Accommodation Finance and we will be able to advise you on alternative instalment options.

We know that students will not receive their loans until they have completed their enrolment with the University, which may not happen until they have been living on campus for up to two weeks. With this in mind we delay the first payment.

If your loan payment is delayed you need to notify Accommodation Finance as soon as possible and we will delay processing your payment. You will need to provide us with a copy of your student loan agreement so we can verify when you will receive your loan.

We advise that you open a bank account. You or your sponsor will need to provide bank card details in order to accept your offer of accommodation. If you are receiving a student loan, you will need to open a bank account before coming to University so that the student loan can be paid into it.

If you know you cannot meet the payment date, you must contact us so we can discuss options with you.

You need to contact us to explain why you are unable to pay. If your loan is late or you are having financial problems, the Accommodation Finance Office can advise you on the best way forward, so you do not jeopardise your place in halls.
If you think you might have a problem paying, tell either your Student Welfare Officer or the Accommodation Finance Office immediately and we will work with you to see what can be done to help you. Do not hide from the problem as it will not go away unless faced and we will be able to take a more lenient approach if we are aware of your situation.

Fees are due at the beginning of each term (the first term's fees are delayed to allow time for registration). You are at risk of being evicted if you do not pay. Although we recognise that students sometimes have difficulties in paying their fees, we expect that you will make every attempt to pay. Students who fail to notify us of difficulties or who make no attempt to meet agreed payment plans will have their debt passed to our Credit Control Department who will begin the debt recovery procedure.

Unless you are on an international semester contract, a contract is for the full academic year. If you move out, you will still be liable to pay the rent until the room can be filled by another suitable student. Please refer to section five of the Terms and Conditions for occupation of accommodation.

If your deposit was paid online, then your deposit will be returned online. If your deposit was not paid online then you will be sent a deposit return form during your last term. You must fill in this form and return it to the Accommodation Finance Office. Failure to do so may mean that you do not get your deposit back.

Your deposit will be returned within 28 days of the end of your accommodation agreement.

Your room will be inspected at the end of your residency and if any damage is discovered it will be charged against your deposit. You will be refunded your full deposit if you leave at the end of the contracted period and there are no outstanding fees or charges.

As a student living in halls at the University of Roehampton, your contents are automatically insured through our partnership student insurance company, Endsleigh. For the exact level of cover provided, see here. Students living in halls sometimes wish to insure valued possessions such as a laptop or mobile phone away from their room wherever they take them. In addition, Endsleigh can also insure you if you are living in off-campus accommodation.

Off-campus accommodation

We provide an online property search facility with Studentpad. This allows you to search for properties and rooms available for rent in the local area from Landlords that have agreed to the University's Code of Standards. There is also a Messageboard so that you can communicate with (i) students who are advertising a room available in their student houseshare; (ii) students who are looking for accommodation; and (iii) students looking for flatmates.

There are a range of property options advertised on Studentpad, which are available in the local area:

Lodgings are when you rent a room in the same property as the landlord - these tend to be more homely and quieter. Rent is inclusive of bills and the contract period can be flexible.

Shared houses/flats – some will be marked as "groups" which means if it is a 4 bed, you need to be in a group of 4 to view it. If the advert states "groups and individuals", you can enquire as an individual. Rents tend not to include bills but some may. Ask the landlord for bill costs before you commit to the tenancy.

Accommodation for couples and families -Studios, 1 bedroom and 2+ bedroom properties have to be sourced from the open market. Please seek support from the off-campus accommodation officer.

London is a large metropolitan city with lots of accommodation and transport options. Among the most affordable accommodation in the area is our on-campus accommodation. However, off campus accommodation is available close to the university in areas including Roehampton, Putney, Barnes, Wandsworth, Hounslow, Richmond, Fulham, Hammersmith and Kingston.

When choosing where to live off-campus we ask students to ensure they research both travel times to the university campus by public transport and frequency of travel to ensure that the travel time enables them to fully engage with their university studies and campus community. If you would like any advice or guidance on off-campus accommodation please speak with our accommodation team who will be able to provide some further accommodation options.

Our Off-Campus Accommodation Officer can support you in finding accommodation or with any questions or problems regarding your tenancy. Please contact, 020 8392 4451.

A Guarantor must be an adult who lives and works in the UK. Your Guarantor will sign a letter agreeing to pay any rent or bills that you do not pay during the tenancy. Landlords and agents will ask each student to provide a guarantor. If you do not have a guarantor, please ask the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer at the University for advice.

The Tenant Fee Act 2019 banned most admin fees associated with tenancies.
Landlords/Agents can only charge the following fees:

  • Late payment of rent: you can only be charged a late payment fee once you’re 14 days late with rent. The late payment fee must be mentioned in your agreement and must not be more than 3% APR above the Bank of England base rate.
  • Lost keys or fobs: you can be charged the reasonable cost of a replacement if it is mentioned in your tenancy agreement.
  • Ending your tenancy early: if a replacement tenant is found the landlord/agent can charge you reasonable costs incurred to change the tenancy, but the amount is capped at £50. If a landlord/agent charges more than £50 they must provide evidence of the costs incurred and that they are reasonable.

    If you leave your tenancy early without having a replacement tenant then the landlord/agent is entitled to recover any loss of income (rent) from you to the end of the fixed term tenancy.

No other fees are allowed. Landlords/agents cannot charge you for:

  • Referencing fees
  • Administration fees
  • Check-out or check-in fees
  • Credit and immigration checks

A holding deposit is a sum of money, the equivalent of no more than 1 week’s rent, given to a landlord/agent to reserve a property when you are absolutely sure that you want to rent it. The holding deposit ensures that the landlord/agent will not view or market the property to anyone else. A Holding Deposit is not a fee. The money belongs to you unless you withdraw from renting the property in which case the landlord/agent is entitled to retain it. Most students agree to the Holding Deposit being put towards their first month’s rent or Security Deposit. For example: rent = £475 per calendar month (£109.62 per week). Holding Deposit of £109.62 is deducted from the first month’s rent: £475 - £109.62 = £365.38 to pay.

A security deposit is usually a sum equal to one month's rent or up to a maximum of five weeks rent, and is held against breakages, dilapidations beyond reasonable wear and tear, unpaid bills, cleaning costs.
At the end of the tenancy, a ‘check-out’ is performed and you must be informed in writing if any deductions are going to be taken from your deposit so that you have the opportunity to dispute them if applicable.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, the landlord must protect the deposit in one of the government recognised schemes. By law, within 30 days after your tenancy commences, you should receive ‘Prescribed Information’ which should give the following:

  • Name and contact details of the scheme
  • Contact details for the scheme's dispute resolution service
  • How to apply for the deposit's release
  • What to do if the landlord can't be contacted at the end of the tenancy
  • How the deposit is protected
  • The address of the property and the amount of deposit paid
  • The landlord's or letting agency's name and contact details
  • The name and contact details of any third party that has paid the deposit
  • Items or services covered by the deposit
  • The circumstances under which the landlord will be able to retain some or all of the deposit
  • What to do if there is a dispute over how much deposit should be returned

This is one of the most important documents. Make sure you have it. If you do not receive this information 30 days after your tenancy begins, please see the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer.

Rent is paid on a monthly or termly basis, in advance. You will be asked to set up a Standing Order so that the rent leaves your bank account every month on the same date that you moved in.

If your rent is advertised on a weekly basis, to calculate the monthly figure, multiply the weekly rent by 52 and then divide by 12 for your monthly rent (there are more than 4 weeks in most months).

This is a tenancy agreement that you sign and the landlord signs – there are no other tenants named on the tenancy agreement, even though you are probably sharing communal areas with other tenants. Your Security Deposit covers your bedroom, and your share of the communal areas which are ‘joint and several’ with the other tenants. At the end of your tenancy, if damage is found in your bedroom, the full cost would be taken from your deposit only. If damage was found in one of the communal areas, the cost would be split between all the tenants and you would be charged for your share. Very often these tenancies are inclusive of bills; however, if it is not, you are responsible for paying your share of the bills together with the other tenants in the household. The big advantage to having an Individual Tenancy Agreement is that if another tenant leaves and a replacement is not found, you are not responsible for paying additional rent.

This is an agreement where all the tenants are named and all sign along with the landlord. Joint and several means that you are all responsible for the rent and returning the property to the landlord in a satisfactory condition at the end of the tenancy. For example, if 5 students rent a house and during the tenancy 1 pulls out, if a replacement cannot be found, the landlord has the right to claim the 5th person’s rent from the remaining 4 tenants.

The same applies at the end of the tenancy if 1 tenant has gone into rent arrears and no longer has a Security Deposit, and damage is found in the property, the costs will be deducted from the 4 remaining deposits along with any other outstanding rent.

Landlords usually claim unpaid rent from a student’s guarantor, but if unsuccessful, they have the right to turn to any of the other “joint and several” tenants.

No. In exceptional circumstances you might be able to, but you must get permission from your landlord in writing.

Bills should have all the tenants names on them. On the day you move into the property, take meter readings for Gas, Electricity and Water if applicable. Make sure you phone the meter readings through and put all your names on the bill. On the day you leave the property, take meter readings again and phone them through. It is wise to contact your utility companies 1 month prior to leaving to give them notice that you are leaving – some companies require a notice period to end the contract.

Full-time students are exempt from Council Tax. Exemption is granted from the 1st day to the last day of your course. You must apply to the Council Tax Office for exemption on an annual basis starting from the 1st day of each academic year.  Part-time students have to pay Council Tax.

First you must register with the Council online so that a bill can be sent to your address. Make sure you also complete any online forms for exemption. If you are living within the SW15 area go to It takes 10-14 days for the bill to arrive so make sure you register either a few days before or after you move into the property.

Once the bill arrives, you can download your Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the Nest webpages, insert your Council Tax Account Number on it, and then submit it to the council. The Council Tax Exemption Certificate must be completed by each student in your household. Wandsworth Council:

If the Council Tax Exemption Certificate is not online, please email to request it.

Full instructions and links can be found in the Off-campus Guide:

You are only exempt from Council Tax when the Council write to you confirming your exemption.

To avoid penalties, be organised: complete and send your forms off immediately.

Landlords Registered on Studentpad

Some landlords have a large number of properties and others may only have one property to rent. All landlords advertising on our web page Studentpad sign a strict Code of Standards that ensures safety standards which go beyond legal requirements. Both the University and students have maintained a trusted relationship with them. You are strongly advised to try and secure your accommodation through Studentpad before searching elsewhere.

Lodgings / Residential Landlord

This is where you rent a room in a private house where the owner is living. Although a deposit is generally requested, the owner is not obliged to register it with a deposit scheme. This accommodation tends to be more homely and often offers a more flexible and personable approach. It also suits those looking for a shorter stay or those wishing to improve their English. There is a good selection of Lodgings advertised on Studentpad.

Letting Agents

Letting agents act on behalf of a landlord. Before commiting to a tenancy, make sure the agent is a member of one of the following professional organisations:

  1. ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents):
  2. safeagent:
  3. NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents):

Searching on the Internet

3 popular websites are:


CAUTION: Fraudsters will often target students and in particular, international students through adverts on websites. A typical fraudulent advert will be placed for a property/room which will seem too good to be true, for example, a spacious room in 3 bed luxury flat on Roehampton Lane for £50 per week. Often the person advertising has no right to let the property and sometimes the property does not even exist.

If you are asked to send money as a deposit to the advertiser without having viewed the property – DO NOT DO IT.

Also do not agree to send money using Western Union or Moneygram to your own friend or relative "to prove that you have sufficient funds". With the tracking information you give them, the fraudster can steal your money.

Fraud warning

A warning from the MET Police

Glossary of terms for off-campus accommodation

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

This is the most frequently used tenancy agreement by landlords when letting residential properties. It is also referred to as an "AST".

Buildings insurance

Insurance against the damage or destruction of the permanent structure of a property.

Contents insurance

Insurance to cover the damage or loss of items and belongings within a property.


A legal document that details the agreement between buyer and seller that binds both parties to complete the transaction.

Credit check

A search most commonly invoked by a lender through a specialised company to ascertain if an individual has County Court Judgements (CCJs) or a bad payment history.

Deposit (for renting a property)

A sum of money (usually a month's rent in advance) paid to the landlord (or agent) of the property, which is returned at the end of the tenancy, subject to the condition of the property.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

EPCs give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC.

Ground rent

An annual charge levied by the freeholder to the leaseholder.


An individual who offers to be contractually liable, both financially and legally, should a tenant fail to pay the rent during their tenancy, or in the event of damage to the property.


House in Multiple Occupation


A list detailing every item contained within a rental property and the condition each listed item is in, usually checked by all parties on the day the tenant moves in and signed by all parties.

Landlord insurance

Specific insurance taken out by landlords to cover their properties and investments – usually the contents and buildings insurances cost more than it would for owner occupiers owing to the greater amount of risk.


A legally binding document whereby the freeholder grants the right for the leaseholder to possess or use land or a building for a specific period of time.

Letting agent

A business that arranges the letting or management of homes rented on behalf of private and corporate individuals.


A property arranged over more than one floor, usually as part of an existing house.

Managing/management agent

A third party business that manages the letting of properties, in exchange for a fee, on behalf of a landlord or property owner.


A fixed amount of money that you pay regularly to the owner of a property for the uninterrupted use and enjoyment of it for an agreed period of time.

Rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance

An insurance that guarantees to pay the landlord the rent if the tenants should cease paying, plus insurance for the cost of legal fees to recover the property and/or any outstanding rent/costs etc.

Service charge

A charge to cover the cost of repairing and maintaining external or internal communal parts of a building, usually paid by the tenant or leaseholder.

Studio flat

A flat with one main room, or open-plan living area that usually incorporates cooking facilities with a separate bathroom.

Tenancy agreement

A contract between a tenant and a landlord that specifies certain rights and obligations for both parties for the duration of the tenancy. Usually an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) was established under the Housing Act 2004. It requires landlords to register details of the start and end of all Assured Shorthold Tenancies on which they take a deposit.


A person that has a temporary right to possess a property.

Tenants contents insurance

Insurance to cover the damage or loss of items and belongings within a property.

Tenant referencing

A process whereby a landlord investigates the financial history and current situation of a prospective tenant.

Information for landlords

Are you a local landlord who wishes to advertise your property to all our students? You can now do so online by registering on our Studentpad website.

There is an annual registration fee – please see the Studentpad website for our scale of fees. You will need to read and agree to the correct Code of Standards as outlined below before you can sign up. You can have access to your own account and update or amend your property details whenever you want.

All properties must first be inspected by the Off-Campus Accommodation Officer, before being advertised.

You must read and agree to the correct Code of Standards depending on what services you will be offering:

To get your accommodation advertised on Studentpad (unless you are offering lodgings) you need to;

  • Agree to the correct Code of Standards online
  • Send an up-to-date Gas Safety Certificate
  • Send an up-to-date Electrical Safety Certificate (Periodic inspection report)
  • Send an Energy Performance Certificate
  • Provide a PAT Certificate
  • Provide a Fire Risk Assessment Document
  • Give us details of the deposit protection scheme you are using
  • Pay the relevant Studentpad fee

If you wish to discuss any of the above or have any other queries please contact Maxina Pattison the Off Campus Officer on 020 8392 4451 or email

Landlord insurance with Endsleigh

If you're a landlord who lets to students, you're entitled to a discount of up to 10% through our partnership with Endsleigh Insurance. As well as market leading features and benefits, you'll be entitled to further discounts if you're accredited and can receive additional money off for additional properties you insure with Endsleigh.

Have more questions?