Student Visas for studing in the UK

Moving to London to study is exciting but there is a lot to organise before you set off.

Here you will find guidance about applying for visas to study at the University of Roehampton, including information on Student visa application(s), Biometric Resident Permits (BRP) and working in the UK.

Please note the Home Office change immigration rules and requirements regularly. Whilst we aim to ensure that the information contained in these pages is kept up to date there may be times when this is not the case. Please do not rely on these pages alone. In order to ensure you have the most up to date information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website

Applying outside the UK

To apply for your Student visa, you can obtain assistance from one of our approved education representatives/agents (a list of our approved education agents in each country is on the relevant country page on our website. Otherwise, you can apply yourself by carefully following guidance on the UKVI website and the information on this webpage.

Once you obtain your CAS number from the UKVI Compliance Team, you are ready to make your Student Route online application.

You need to make the application from the country that you are ordinarily resident in. Normally this means your country of nationality. However, if you hold a residence permit in a country other than your nationality you may be able to apply from there. You will need to check with the local embassy first though.

After the online application has been submitted, you will have to attend an appointment with the application centre in your country in order to submit all the required documents and enrol your biometrics (fingerprints and photo). You can check the following links if you wish to Find an Application Centre or check the Visa Processing Time in your country.

Applying inside the UK

If you are eligible to extend your Student visa in order to continue studying, you must submit your application before the end date of your current immigration permission. Under UK immigration law, as long as you submit an in-time application your visa will automatically be extended whilst it is being considered by UKVI. This means you will not be illegally in the UK. 

You need to request a CAS Application Form from the UKVI Compliance Team at the University of Roehampton at

Find out more

Arriving in the UK

When you arrive at a port of entry in the UK, your passport and entry clearance will be checked along with your documents, you will then have a date stamp placed in your passport. Your leave to enter the UK will begin from that date. It will expire on the 'valid until' date stated on your entry clearance.

The Border Force has developed ten top tips to make sure you have everything you need for a smooth arrival.

Find out more

Application deadlines for students requiring a tier 4 visa

All courses India and Nepal Nigeria and Ghana Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka ROW
Application Deadline 08/03/2024 08/03/2024 08/03/2024 08/03/2024
Interview request deadline 08/03/2024 08/03/2024 08/03/2024 N/A
Meet conditions and/or pay deposit (UF) by 





Request CAS by (with all documents ready) 29/03/2024 29/03/2024 29/03/2024 29/03/2024
Induction  29/04/2024 29/04/2024 29/04/2024 29/04/2024
Teaching starts 06/05/2024 06/05/2024 06/05/2024 06/05/2024

Apply now for April 2024  

*More flexibility on dates will be given to applicants from the EEA/EU and UK based international students.