- Cover all the core aspects of economics, to get an excellent foundation for working in general business and management in the public or private sector.
- Apply contemporary research to the latest business issues, such as the dynamic nature of the global economy.
- Graduate ‘business ready’, with the ability and confidence to manage change, think critically, act responsibly, innovate and adapt.
- During your first year, classes start no earlier than 10am, and teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- As a graduate, you’ll be eligible for the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership.
- Put your knowledge of business and economics to the test by applying for a one-year, paid work placement after year two.
Prepare yourself for a career in business or in any organisation that values an awareness of economic issues. You’ll graduate ‘business ready’, as a confident, independent thinker, with a detailed knowledge of business and management, and the ability to adapt rapidly to change.
BSc Business Management will give you in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environments, including their relationships to society.
You will explore key theories and concepts in economics and their application in international business, and gain a solid understanding of areas such as managing people, operations, logistics, marketing and business ethics. Additionally, you will learn how businesses can operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, alongside skills in research, analysis, numeracy and project management. You will finish the course confident in your personal values, with the knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically, and an excellent understanding of the wider economy.
As a graduate of this degree, you will gain the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership. This industry-recognised professional qualification will fast-track your progress towards chartered manager status.
Our academics have a wealth of research and practical experience in economics and business, and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Personal Tutor will suppprt you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning.
Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
As a business student, you will gain access to exclusive Chartered Management Institute networking events and lectures from CMI experts.
You can also log onto ManagementDirect, an online learning portal with a wide range of useful resources, including around 3,000 publications such as the Harvard Business Review. You can use the portal to develop your interview skills, polish your CV and record your professional development.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and explore key aspects of business management such as finance, marketing and data analysis.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through problem-based activities and scenarios.
- Study managerial economics and international economics, to build your economics knowledge and skills.
- Continue to develop your business readiness and experience of management, from managing people across different cultures to project management.
- Take up the opportunity to study abroad.
- Plan, research and write a dissertation on your chosen area of economics.
- Develop a deeper economic understanding through modules such as Labour Economics, Economics of Money, Banking and Finance or Development Economics.
- Explore business ethics and responsible management, as well as applied corporate strategy.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Business Organisations and Environments in a Global Context
Introduction to Finance and Accounting for Managers
Understanding Self and Others
Introduction to Management
Analysing Information and Data for Problem Solving
Principles of Marketing and Communications in a Digital World
You will continue to benefit from our Business Readiness module.
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate-level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Business Ethics and Responsible Management
Applied Corporate Strategy
Business and Management Dissertation (Part 1 and 2) [in Economics]
Economics of Money, Banking and Finance
You will also complete the final part of the Business Readiness modules, which will enable you to graduate with the ability to demonstrate to potential employers the skills you have gained during your degree.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate your knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing) and values (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘business ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that exhibits the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business readiness is built in to all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as the CMI, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, who accredit our degrees.
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, providing opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London) and enter national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, while gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
The skills and knowledge you go away with will put you in a strong position for pursuing jobs in the UK’s most important sectors and occupations, including financial services, management consultancy, risk analysis and economic think tanks.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.