- Explore approaches to creativity, innovation and entrepreneurial thinking that will help you understand what’s involved in setting up and running your own business.
- Graduate ‘business ready’, with the ability to think critically, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- During your first year, classes start no earlier than 10am, and teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Put your knowledge of business to the test by applying for a one-year, paid work placement after year two.
Gain the skills needed to plan, set up and run your own business on our Business Management and Entrepreneurship BSc. You’ll graduate as a confident, independent thinker, with a detailed knowledge of business, management and the nature of entrepreneurship.
If you are interested in what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur, this degree is ideal. You will gain in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environments, while learning to manage innovation and developing your own entrepreneurial skills.
Exploring key concepts such as managing people, operations, logistics, marketing and finance, you will also learn about corporate strategy, business ethics and how small businesses and start-ups need to operate in a competitive business environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, alongside skills in research, analysis, numeracy and project management.
You will finish the course with a deep appreciation of the entrepreneurial process, and the skills to drive innovation and adapt to change.
As a graduate of this degree, you will gain the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership. This industry-recognised professional qualification will fast-track your progress towards chartered manager status.
Our academics have a wealth of research and practical experience in economics and business, and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Personal Tutor will suppprt you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning.
Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
As a business student, you will gain access to exclusive Chartered Management Institute networking events and lectures from CMI experts.
You can also log onto ManagementDirect, an online learning portal with a wide range of useful resources, including around 3,000 publications such as the Harvard Business Review. You can use the portal to develop your interview skills, polish your CV and record your professional development.
- Establish an overview of business organisations and explore key areas of business such as finance and marketing that will play an important role in achieving your entrepreneurial aspirations.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through problem-based activities and scenarios.
- Gain an understanding of management concepts, from managing people to supply chain and project management.
- Continue to develop your business readiness.
- Practise your entrepreneurship in a real-world context and acquire high-level business planning skills, critical to successful entrepreneurship.
- Explore both the theory and practice of entrepreneurship, learning more about your own style and skills, and how to bring those abilities out in others.
- Look at innovation, and gain an understanding of the approaches used to encourage it within an organisation.
- Undertake a dissertation on an entrepreneurial topic of your choice.
Here are some of the varied modules we currently offer:
Managing People and Careers
Operations, Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Processes of Project Management
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 2)
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 3)
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘business ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experience gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as CMI, the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, who accredit our degrees
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be in a strong position to start your own business. You could also work in business development or a graduate traineeship, or in any sector that seeks dynamic, creative individuals with proven business knowledge.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.