- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), giving you the maximum nine exemptions from ACCA professional exams.
- Also accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), so you just need to take six CIMA exams to complete your CIMA professional qualification.
- Apply contemporary research and the latest thinking to explore current accounting issues.
- Graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly, adapt and manage change.
- During your first year teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Give your career a head-start through the option of a one-year work placement, after year two.
- 90% of students are satisfied with this course (NSS 2019)
- Roehampton is rated sixth in London for Accounting and finance in the Times Good University Guide 2021.
Our Accounting BSc provides a strong preparation for a rewarding career in accounting, opening the door to work with business, public and third-sector organisations.
While developing your accounting knowledge and skills, you will develop yourself personally, become confident in your own values, apply your knowledge to solve problems, and ultimately learn to add value to any organisation.
Across the three years, you will undertake specialist ACCA-accredited accounting modules, which means when you graduate, you will be exempt from nine of the ACCA professional exams if you choose to work towards your full professional qualification.
The degree is also accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), so you just need to take six CIMA exams to complete your CIMA qualification.
Our accounting degree is strongly focused on developing you as a ‘business ready’ graduate. You’ll become highly employable and capable, with the knowledge and skills required by employers and professional accounting bodies.
You will learn to identify and solve complex accounting problems, and apply the skills and techniques you acquire to a range of business scenarios. We will support you to develop the self confidence and resilience to be able to professionally challenge the status quo and effectively present realistic alternatives.
You will build relevant personal skills to support your professional development, and graduate in a strong position to secure accounting jobs in a wide range of sectors.
Your tutors have extensive experience across many accounting contexts, and will demonstrate how your learning connects to, and impacts on, the real world.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
You will compile evidence of your developing knowledge, skills and attributes, and be able to clearly articulate your increasing ability to add value to organisations.
- Explore financial and management accounting techniques, including the preparation of financial reports.
- Explore the latest business issues such as the growth in digital commerce, developments in data analysis, and the dynamic nature of the global business environment.
- Learn about people and project management, to complement your developing accounting skills.
- Continue building your knowledge and skills through modules that currently include the Law of Business Enterprises, Taxation Practice, Understanding Financial Statements and Management Accounting Techniques.
- Build your financial skills through a dissertation, focusing on a particular area of interest to you.
- Modules we offer currently include Advanced Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Audit Practice & Ethics and Accounting for Decision Making.
Required zero-credit module
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Students can select one of the following combinations:
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the business readiness skills you will learn in year one and two, while gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, but a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be set up to move into working in management or financial accounting jobs in the corporate, public or voluntary sectors. You can follow pathways into accountancy via the main professional bodies in the UK, and bypass some of the foundation level examinations needed for qualifying as an accountant.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Join a Business School with a social conscience.
At Roehampton Business School we provide you with a flexible, career-focused journey towards successful and fulfilling graduate careers. Roehampton Business School is an inclusive learning community. We want our students to become business leaders who will have a positive impact on society through their ethos, their company culture and through an understanding and appreciation of sustainability. These values are embedded in both our teaching and research.
Below you can find the ways that Roehampton Business School will help you in both your studies and your future career.
- Dedicated career service with a team of careers specialists to provide support and guidance.
- All students have the option to include a one-year work placement as part of their degree.
- Our Business Advisory Board comprise senior business leaders who work closely with us to ensure that our courses are industry-relevant and cutting-edge.
- Access to events with guest speakers and professional bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (all of which accredit the Business School degrees).
- Experience the opportunities that come with the Roehampton Business School working closely with the neighboring chambers of commerce including the Wandsworth Chambers of Commerce.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international business competitions.
- Our UG Business courses are taught on two days per week in year one, giving you the space to undertake part-time work and fit your studies around other commitments.
- We have excellent facilities for commuting students, including a free bus service, free on-campus parking and free bicycle storage facilities.
- You will receive remote access to your learning resources so you can learn from home as well as campus.
- You can participate in opportunities to share student research. The Sticky Campus Conference can be viewed here.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.