- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), giving you the maximum nine exemptions from ACCA professional exams.
- Also accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), so you just need to take six CIMA exams to complete your CIMA professional qualification.
- Apply contemporary research and the latest thinking to explore current accounting issues.
- Graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly, adapt and manage change.
- During your first year, classes start no earlier than 10am, and teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Put your knowledge of accounting to the test by applying for a one-year, paid work placement after year two.
- 90% of students are satisfied with this course (NSS 2019)
Our Accounting BSc provides a strong preparation for a rewarding career in accounting, opening the door to work with business, public and third-sector organisations.
While developing your accounting knowledge and skills, you will develop yourself personally, become confident in your own values, apply your knowledge to solve problems, and ultimately learn to add value to any organisation.
Across the three years, you will undertake specialist ACCA-accredited accounting modules, which means when you graduate, you will be exempt from nine of the ACCA professional exams if you choose to work towards your full professional qualification.
The degree is also accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), so you just need to take six CIMA exams to complete your CIMA qualification.
Our accounting degree is strongly focused on developing you as a ‘business ready’ graduate. You’ll become highly employable and capable, with the knowledge and skills required by employers and professional accounting bodies.
You will learn to identify and solve complex accounting problems, and apply the skills and techniques you acquire to a range of business scenarios. We will support you to develop the self confidence and resilience to be able to professionally challenge the status quo and effectively present realistic alternatives.
You will build relevant personal skills to support your professional development, and graduate in a strong position to secure accounting jobs in a wide range of sectors.
Your tutors have extensive experience across many accounting contexts, and will demonstrate how your learning connects to, and impacts on, the real world.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
You will compile evidence of your developing knowledge, skills and attributes, and be able to clearly articulate your increasing ability to add value to organisations.
- Explore financial and management accounting techniques, including the preparation of financial reports.
- Explore the latest business issues such as the growth in digital commerce, developments in data analysis, and the dynamic nature of the global business environment.
- Learn about people and project management, to complement your developing accounting skills.
- Continue building your knowledge and skills through modules that currently include the Law of Business Enterprises, Taxation Practice, Understanding Financial Statements and Management Accounting Techniques.
- Build your financial skills through a dissertation, focusing on a particular area of interest to you.
- Modules we offer currently include Advanced Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Audit Practice & Ethics and Accounting for Decision Making.
Required zero-credit module
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Students can select one of the following combinations:
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing) and values (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you business ready.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experience gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business readiness is built into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to demonstrate your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, who accredit our degrees.
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, providing opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London) and enter national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the business readiness skills you will learn in year one and two, while gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University’s support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, but a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be set up to move into working in management or financial accounting jobs in the corporate, public or voluntary sectors. You can follow pathways into accountancy via the main professional bodies in the UK, and bypass some of the foundation level examinations needed for qualifying as an accountant.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.