- Cover all the core aspects of business, to get an excellent foundation for working in business management.
- Apply contemporary research to the latest business issues, such as the growth in digital communications and the dynamic nature of the business environment.
- Choose from wide-ranging optional modules in accounting, human resource management, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- During your first year teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Give your career a head-start through the option of a one-year work placement, after year two.
- This programme is dual accredited to a CMI qualification. Upon successful completion of the programme, Roehampton on-campus students, will be eligible for a CMI L5 qualification in Management and Leadership (subject to passing the required mapped CMI modules and CMI moderation.
If you are considering a career in business management, this BSc is an excellent place to start. You’ll graduate ‘business ready’, as a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of the relevant issues, and the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
BSc Business Management will give you in-depth knowledge of organisations and the business environment, and an insight into the core areas of corporate life, including managing people, operations, logistics, marketing, finance, and the role of ethical management.
You will explore how businesses can operate effectively in a multicultural environment, while learning to identify and solve business problems yourself, and communicate your ideas with impact.
Over the course of your studies, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, together with skills in research, numeracy, project management and leadership.
This programme is dual accredited to a CMI qualification. Upon successful completion of the programme, Roehampton on-campus students, will be eligible for a CMI L5 qualification in Management and Leadership (subject to passing the required mapped CMI modules and CMI moderation.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Academic Guidance Tutor will be there to guide your learning and career development, and you’ll have access to our extensive employability events.
Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, student-led Roehampton Business Society and online careers portal.
As a business management student, you will gain access to exclusive Chartered Management Institute networking events and lectures from CMI experts.
You can also log onto ManagementDirect, an online learning portal with a wide range of useful resources, including around 3,000 publications such as the Harvard Business Review. You can use the portal to develop your interview skills, polish your CV and record your professional development.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through problem-based activities and scenarios.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and explore key areas of business such as finance, management and marketing.
- Build your understanding of management (including managing people across different cultures, supply chain management and project management).
- Choose to develop your specialist knowledge through optional modules in Accounting, Human Resource Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship.
- Continue to develop your business readiness, so you can demonstrate to potential employers the skills you’ve gained.
- Develop a deeper understanding of key areas through a range of optional modules and your dissertation.
- Explore corporate strategy and business ethics.
- Other modules include Banking & Finance, Global Marketing, Branding, International Human Resource Management and Entrepreneurship.
Introduction to Accounting and Finance
Business Organisations in a Global Economy
Business Data Analysis
Principles of Marketing
Introduction to Management
Required zero-credit modules
Optional Modules: You will study two options, from:
Resourcing and Talent Planning
International Business and Emerging Markets
Management Accounting Techniques
Retail Theory and Practice
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 2).
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Optional modules: You will study 2 options, from:
Sales, Advertising and PR
The Economics of Money, Banking and Finance
Retail Issues and Applications
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 3)
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
This course offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement. If you successfully secure a work placement, you will undertake the placement following year two of your programme and return following the placement to complete your studies.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the skills and knowledge that you will learn in year one and two, while gaining valuable work experience. The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the skills and experience you need to secure graduate-level employment.
The University Careers and Placements team will support you to develop your CV and skills though webinars, workshops and 1-2-1 appointments. You will also benefit from regular communication about available opportunities to aid your placement search.
Please note while the University will support you with your placement search and applications, a placement cannot be guaranteed.
The skills and knowledge you graduate with on this degree will put you in a strong position for pursuing jobs in business, including accounting and finance, international business, retail, marketing and human resources.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
* This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.
Join a Business School with a social conscience.
At Roehampton Business School we provide you with a flexible, career-focused journey towards successful and fulfilling graduate careers. Roehampton Business School is an inclusive learning community. We want our students to become business leaders who will have a positive impact on society through their ethos, their company culture and through an understanding and appreciation of sustainability. These values are embedded in both our teaching and research.
Below you can find the ways that Roehampton Business School will help you in both your studies and your future career.
- Dedicated career service with a team of careers specialists to provide support and guidance.
- All students have the option to include a one-year work placement as part of their degree.
- Our Business Advisory Board comprise senior business leaders who work closely with us to ensure that our courses are industry-relevant and cutting-edge.
- Access to events with guest speakers and professional bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (all of which accredit the Business School degrees).
- Experience the opportunities that come with the Roehampton Business School working closely with the neighboring chambers of commerce including the Wandsworth Chambers of Commerce.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international business competitions.
- Our UG Business courses are taught on two days per week in year one, giving you the space to undertake part-time work and fit your studies around other commitments.
- We have excellent facilities for commuting students, including a free bus service, free on-campus parking and free bicycle storage facilities.
- You will receive remote access to your learning resources so you can learn from home as well as campus.
- You can participate in opportunities to share student research. The Sticky Campus Conference can be viewed here.