- Cover all the core aspects of business, to get an excellent foundation for working in business management.
- Graduate ‘business ready’ with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly, adapt and manage change.
- Apply contemporary research to the latest business issues, such as the growth in digital communications and the dynamic nature of the business environment.
- Choose from wide-ranging optional modules in accounting, human resource management, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- During your first year teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Put your knowledge of business to the test by applying for a one-year, paid work placement after year two.
- As a graduate, you’ll be eligible for the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership.
If you are considering a career in business management, this BSc is an excellent place to start. You’ll graduate ‘business ready’, as a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of the relevant issues, and the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
BSc Business Management will give you in-depth knowledge of organisations and the business environment, and an insight into the core areas of corporate life, including managing people, operations, logistics, marketing, finance, and the role of ethical management.
You will explore how businesses can operate effectively in a multicultural environment, while learning to identify and solve business problems yourself, and communicate your ideas with impact.
Over the course of your studies, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, together with skills in research, numeracy, project management and leadership.
As a graduate of this degree, you will gain the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership. This industry-recognised professional qualification will fast-track your progress towards chartered manager status.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Academic Guidance Tutor will be there to guide your learning and career development, and you’ll have access to our extensive employability events.
Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, student-led Roehampton Business Society and online careers portal.
As a business management student, you will gain access to exclusive Chartered Management Institute networking events and lectures from CMI experts.
You can also log onto ManagementDirect, an online learning portal with a wide range of useful resources, including around 3,000 publications such as the Harvard Business Review. You can use the portal to develop your interview skills, polish your CV and record your professional development.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through problem-based activities and scenarios.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and explore key areas of business such as finance, management and marketing.
- Build your understanding of management (including managing people across different cultures, supply chain management and project management).
- Choose to develop your specialist knowledge through optional modules in Accounting, Human Resource Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship.
- Continue to develop your business readiness, so you can demonstrate to potential employers the skills you’ve gained.
- Develop a deeper understanding of key areas through a range of optional modules and your dissertation.
- Explore corporate strategy and business ethics.
- Other modules include Banking & Finance, Global Marketing, Branding, International Human Resource Management and Entrepreneurship.
Introduction to Accounting and Finance
Business Organisations in a Global Economy
Business Data Analysis
Principles of Marketing
Introduction to Management
Required zero-credit modules
Optional Modules: You will study two options, from:
Resourcing and Talent Planning
International Business and Emerging Markets
Management Accounting Techniques
Retail Theory and Practice
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 2).
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Optional modules: You will study 2 options, from:
The Economics of Money, Banking and Finance
Retail Issues and Applications
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 3)
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘business ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experience gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as CMI, the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, who accredit our degrees
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
This course offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement. If you successfully secure a work placement, you will undertake the placement following year two of your programme and return following the placement to complete your studies.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the skills and knowledge that you will learn in year one and two, while gaining valuable work experience. The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the skills and experience you need to secure graduate-level employment.
The University Careers and Placements team will support you to develop your CV and skills though webinars, workshops and 1-2-1 appointments. You will also benefit from regular communication about available opportunities to aid your placement search.
Please note while the University will support you with your placement search and applications, a placement cannot be guaranteed.
The skills and knowledge you graduate with on this degree will put you in a strong position for pursuing jobs in business, including accounting and finance, international business, retail, marketing and human resources.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
* This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.