- Give your career a head-start through the option of a one-year work placement, after year two.
- Apply contemporary research to the latest HR issues, such as talent management and embracing diversity.
- Graduate with the ability to think critically and innovate, while adapting to volatile, ambiguous or complex situations.
- As a graduate, you'll be eligible for Associate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
- During your first year teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You'll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
Our Human Resource Management (HRM) degree course will give you an excellent basis for a career in HR in a range of organisations. You’ll leave a confident, independent thinker, with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
As a human resources specialist, you will learn how businesses can get the most out of their employees, and develop the skills for successful people management.
You will learn about key concepts such as managing people, operations, marketing and finance; and learn what businesses need to do to operate effectively and ethically in a culturally diverse environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, and gain skills in research and project management.
You will finish the course confident in your personal values, with the knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically and an ongoing passion for personal and professional development.
This degree includes an option for a semester-long work placement during year two, to give you first-hand experience to develop your career and apply what you’ve learned.
The course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), so as a graduate, you will gain CIPD Associate Membership.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Personal Tutor will support you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning.
You will gain access to Roehampton Business School's many employability events, including workshops and employer exhibitions. Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, the student-led University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS) and an online careers portal.
As a Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development Associate Member, you will also gain access to a wealth of resources, including study guides, HR factsheets, CIPD research reports, and business, learning and development journals.
You will be able to network with HR professionals at CIPD events, to develop your knowledge, skills and industry connections. The University will pay your joining and student membership fees in your first year.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and be introduced to key areas of business such as finance, marketing and management.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through problem-based activities and scenarios.
- Continue to develop your business readiness, and be introduced to the theory and practice of managing people and their careers.
- A key feature of the year is the opportunity to take a semester-long work placement where you can apply theory to practice and develop your employability.
- Other modules include Managing People and Careers, Contemporary Developments in Employee Relations, and Resourcing and Talent Planning.
- Look at human resources management in an international context, and develop an understanding of employment law.
- Take other modules such as Business Ethics & Responsible Management.
- Complete a dissertation, focusing on an area of human resources management of your choice.
Managing People and Careers
Contemporary Developments in Employee Relations
Resourcing and Talent Planning
Occupational Psychology and Psychometrics
Optional extended professional placement
All students will have the option to apply for a 12 month full-time Extended Professional Placement, in a role with graduate level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (Year 2)
Optional Extended Professional Placement
From September 2018, all new students starting an undergraduate business degree will have the option to apply for a 12-month full-time professional placement in a role with graduate-level learning opportunities. Students will complete this between years 2 and 3 of the programme.
Required zero-credit module
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
This course will prepare you for working in a variety of HR roles, such as recruitment and selection specialist, employee relations or personnel manager, training and development adviser, diversity and equal opportunity advisor or performance management specialist.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.
Join a Business School with a social conscience.
At Roehampton Business School we provide you with a flexible, career-focused journey towards successful and fulfilling graduate careers. Roehampton Business School is an inclusive learning community. We want our students to become business leaders who will have a positive impact on society through their ethos, their company culture and through an understanding and appreciation of sustainability. These values are embedded in both our teaching and research.
Below you can find the ways that Roehampton Business School will help you in both your studies and your future career.
- Dedicated career service with a team of careers specialists to provide support and guidance.
- All students have the option to include a one-year work placement as part of their degree.
- Our Business Advisory Board comprise senior business leaders who work closely with us to ensure that our courses are industry-relevant and cutting-edge.
- Access to events with guest speakers and professional bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (all of which accredit the Business School degrees).
- Experience the opportunities that come with the Roehampton Business School working closely with the neighboring chambers of commerce including the Wandsworth Chambers of Commerce.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international business competitions.
- Our UG Business courses are taught on two days per week in year one, giving you the space to undertake part-time work and fit your studies around other commitments.
- We have excellent facilities for commuting students, including a free bus service, free on-campus parking and free bicycle storage facilities.
- You will receive remote access to your learning resources so you can learn from home as well as campus.
- You can participate in opportunities to share student research. The Sticky Campus Conference can be viewed here.