- As a graduate, you’ll be eligible for the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management & Leadership.
- Spend a semester studying abroad developing your cross-cultural skills and confidence to operate internationally.
- Acquire a strong understanding of business management and develop your ability to work internationally in marketing, finance or human resource management.
- Graduate ‘business ready’, with the ability to think critically, innovate, act responsibly and adapt to volatile, ambiguous and complex situations.
- During your first year, classes start no earlier than 10am, and teaching takes place on the same two days each week*. You’ll have ample time to travel to campus, and the flexibility to fit your study around other commitments.
- Put your knowledge of business to the test by applying for a one-year, paid work placement after year two.
Our International Business BSc will provide you with the skills and experience to work in an international business. You’ll graduate ‘business ready’, as a confident, independent thinker, with the skills to adapt rapidly to change, and a detailed knowledge of international business and cross-cultural management.
This degree will give you in-depth knowledge of organisations and their environments, including their relationships to society.
Specialising in international business, you will focus on the ways businesses operate differently in home and overseas markets.
Developing an understanding of areas such as managing people, operations, logistics, marketing and finance, you will also learn about what businesses need to do to operate ethically and effectively in a culturally diverse environment.
In readiness for your future career, you will acquire key attributes employers value, such as commercial acumen, self-reflection and emotional intelligence, alongside skills in research, numeracy, project management and leadership.
You will finish the course confident in your personal values, with the knowledge and experience to solve business problems ethically, and an ongoing passion for personal and professional development.
Our academics have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Personal Tutor will support you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning.
Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and explore key aspects of business such as finance and marketing.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations, through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Understand your role in a team, and learn to recognise your personal strengths and weaknesses through self-assessment and reflection.
- Practise these skills through team-based scenarios.
- Study modules on global and international business strategy, and international business and emerging markets, developing an extensive knowledge of international business.
- Spend a semester studying abroad, to develop your cross-cultural skills, confidence and connections, and return home more globally minded.
- Develop your international management skills, studying modules such as International Human Resource Management and Global Marketing.
- Demonstrate your individual specialism through a dissertation focusing on an aspect of international business that interests you.
Managing People and Careers
Global and International Business
International Business and Emerging Markets
In your second semester, you will study abroad at one of our partner universities.
Required zero-credit module
Business Readiness (year 2)
Required zero-credit module
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘business ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experience gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants, the Chartered Management Institute and the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, who accredit our degrees
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is the perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year, and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however a placement cannot be guaranteed.
You’ll leave well equipped to work in a diverse range of careers, including international trade and banking, operations management, market research, international sales or marketing, and other roles within international companies.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
** The duration of this course is 4 years (full-time) for students taking a placement year.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.