US Student Loans

University of Roehampton participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.

Direct subsidised and unsubsidised loans, and Direct PLUS loans for eligible US citizens and eligible non-citizens are administered on behalf of the US Department of Education (USED) for all eligible degree programmes offered.


Direct loans Your loan eligibility will be assessed in the first instance by checking if you meet all eligibility criteria on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

In addition to completing a FAFSA, you will need to be accepted on to a degree granting program at our university on at least a half-time basis and meet other eligibility requirements such as maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and being within the borrowing limits for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

If you're a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, we advise students to review the terms and conditions for Federal Loans and Private Loans before applying

If you will be attending Roehampton as a Study Abroad student, you need to process your loan application through your home university in the US.

If you are planning on studying a degree programme that allows you to study abroad at another institution as part of that programme you need to consult with the study Abroad Team to ensure that the host school is Title 1V eligible.

If a degree programme is offered jointly by a partner institution that hasn't been approved for participation in the Direct Loan Programme, the whole programme is deemed to be ineligible.

Only degree programmes offered at University of Roehampton are eligible for funding by federal loans, provided the programme isn't offered fully or in part by distance learning.  The CARES Act passed by the US Government allows alternative teaching methods while restrictions because of COVID 19 remain in place.

Masters and doctoral students enrolling at foreign schools won't be eligible for federal loans if any of their research or work on their dissertation or thesis will be conducted in the US, according to federal regulations. There are some exceptions for PhD students. Please contact the student Finance Office for further information at

If you withdraw from the programme you will no longer be eligible to receive Direct Loan instalments. If you withdraw from your programme during a payment period the university and/or the student may be required to return Direct Loan funds as per the Withdrawal and Return of Title IV policy.

  1. Complete your FAFSA application. 

    You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at We will use the information from your FAFSA to assist in determining your eligibility for a Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized and PLUS loans.

    To complete the FAFSA electronically you will need: 

    • Roehampton University School Code – G21019; 
    • Federal Student Aid PIN. To apply for a PIN if you do not already have one, or for customer service regarding a previously assigned PIN, visit the Federal Student Aid PIN website at
    • Please note: parents applying for PLUS loans do not need to complete the FAFSA. 

What happens next?

  1. Eligibility

    Once the Department processes your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please retain the SAR for your records and send it to

    After we have received your SAR form, we will determine your eligibility for a Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized and PLUS loans and will notify you of the loans and amounts for which you are eligible. 

    • Depending on your status as undergraduate or graduate/professional student you may be eligible for a Direct PLUS Loan. 
    • If you are a dependent undergraduate student, your parent(s) may be eligible for a Parent Direct PLUS Loan.
    • Independent undergraduate students are not eligible to receive PLUS or Parent PLUS loans. 
  2. Apply for your Direct Loans 

    • Once we have confirmed the maximum amount you are eligible to borrow you can apply for your Direct Subsidised, Unsubsidised or PLUS loans at

Check out Our How to Apply Guide here.

Direct Subsidised and Unsubsidised loans:

The information below details the maximum total per year of Direct Subsidised and Unsubsidised Loans for Undergraduate Dependent, Independent and Grad & Professional students:

Important to know:

The maximum amount you are eligible to borrow cannot exceed the Lifetime Aggregate Maximum detailed in the table below (PLUS loans do not have a Lifetime Aggregate):


Dependent Undergraduate Student



Maximum Sub

Maximum Unsub

Maximum Sub & Unsub


1st year

USD 3,500

USD 2,000

USD 5,500

The remaining balance may be taken in Parents PLUS or private loans.

2nd year

USD 4,500

USD 2,000

USD 6,500

3rd year and up

USD 5,500

USD 2,000

USD 7,500


Independent Undergraduate Student



Maximum Sub

Maximum Unsub

Maximum Sub & Unsub

The remaining balance may be taken in private loans but not in PLUS loans.

1st year

USD 3,500

USD 6,000

USD 9,500

2nd year

USD 4,500

USD 6,000

USD 10,500

3rd year and up

USD 5,500

USD 7,000

USD 12,500


Grad & Professional Student

Maximum Sub

Maximum Unsub

Maximum Sub & Unsub







USD 20,500



USD 20,500

The remaining balance may be taken in Grad PLUS or private loans but not in Parent PLUS loans.


Lifetime Aggregate Max


Sub Loan

Sub & Unsub Loan


Dependant UG

USD 23,000

USD 31,000

No Lifetime Aggregate

Independent UG

USD 23,000

USD 57,500

No Lifetime Aggregate

Grad & Professional

USD 65,500

USD 138,500

No Lifetime Aggregate

After you have applied for your Direct and/or PLUS loans we will ask you to provide us confirmation that the following documents have been submitted by emailing -

  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Direct Subsidised and Unsubsidised loans;
  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) for PLUS loans;
  • Acknowledgement that you have completed entry counselling for both loans;
  • Credit check confirmation if you are taking Grad or Parent PLUS loans
  • You will also need to return the completed ‘Student Loan Request Form’ to us via email
  • Please note that all male applicants need to send us confirmation of their Selective Service registration.

Alternative Education (‘Private’) loans

Students studying on degree programmes, Diploma programmes, PGCEs and other Certificate programmes and study abroad programmes should be eligible for a private loan.

In addition to or instead of Direct Loans you can opt to take private loans up to the Cost of Attendance. Please note these loans are subject to credit checks.

For more information see  Global Education Management Services - see Loan application and solicitation disclosures

Alternatively further information about applying for loans can be found here. The Private lender will advise the University that a loan application has been made in your name. We will ask you to complete the ‘Student Loan Request Form’ and return it to us via email.

The University will determine your Cost of Attendance (CoA). It allows for the full cost of your tuition fees for the academic year plus assessed living costs for the academic year. The CoA includes tuition, housing, transportation, composite living, NHS healthcare, visa, and airfare.  The total that you borrow in Federal and Private loans plus any scholarships you may be receiving cannot exceed your CoA.

The CoA can be adjusted to a lower amount, as long as you meet the necessary funds required stated by UKVI regulations when applying for your Tier 4 (general) student visa.  Information on the UKVI amount is listed on our website under ‘Money’.


2020/21 CoA 1st UG Year - $24,897 excluding tuition fees.

2020/21 CoA PG 1 Year - $30,181 excluding tuition fees.

2020/21 CoA PG Year 1 of 2 years course - $30,451 excluding tuition fees.

2020/21 CoA PhD Year 1 of a 3 years course - $30,856 excluding tuition fees.

Please see example Cost of Attendance here for undergraduate and here for postgraduate.

Accommodation Fees

Please check the Accommodation page for additional information.

The total COA will be reviewed and will vary each academic year in line with inflation and varying US$ exchange rates. The exchange rate used for the CoA is higher than the current exchange rate to ensure students will be able to cover their costs while studying in the UK and to allow for a significant fluctuation in exchange rates. A worst-case scenario would be where higher number of dollars than anticipated is needed to buy one pound. For 2020/21, we will use an exchange rate of 1.35 to calculate cost of attendance amounts.

At each disbursement of loans, when exchanging funds from dollars to pounds, we will use the rate applicable on the day we receive the funds from the US Dept. of Education.

Federal loans are disbursed in three equal instalments at the start of the three terms. Private loans can be disbursed in one two or three instalments depending on the programme of study.

The disbursement dates for 2020/21 are:

Undergraduate and Postgraduate:

Disbursement one: September 2020 (post-enrolment)

Disbursement two: January 11, 2021

Disbursement three: April 12, 2021

These dates are for guidance only and will be confirmed in your Loan Confirmation Letter, so you will need to ensure you have sufficient funds of your own to cover your living expenses until the first payment is received.

Grace period

Information on repayment of federal loans is available at loan servicer can also provide information on repayment. Details are available on

There is a six-month grace period on repayment of the Stafford loan once a student has withdrawn, graduated or dropped below half time. There is no grace period for the PLUS loan.


Deferment and forbearance

If you are not able to start repaying your loans, you may qualify for a deferment or forbearance that will temporarily suspend or reduce your repayments. This could help prevent default, which would impact negatively on your credit rating. Details are available at


Direct loan consolidation

You may be able to combine all of your existing Federal loans into one loan, known as a Direct Consolidation Loan with one loan repayment every month and flexible repayment options. Further details are available at

Academic programmes

For more information regarding the programmes available at the University of Roehampton, please visit our Courses pages

Accrediting agencies and governmental bodies

Approved Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) are either ‘Recognised’ or ‘Listed’. ‘Recognised’ Higher Education Institution (HEIs) have the authority to award degrees. The University of Roehampton is a ‘Recognised’ institution and verification of this can be found here.

Attendance monitoring and missing students

Regular attendance monitoring is a University requirement. You can read more about your responsibilities at

Universities are required by the Home Office to identify when students it is sponsoring under Tier 4 have stopped studying. Therefore, we are required to monitor attendance and engagement of students on a Tier 4 visa. Where a student does not attend or engage in their course, they are at risk of being withdrawn by the University and reported to the Home Office. You can find out more about our Tier 4 Sponsor responsibilities here:

Careers and employability

At Roehampton we will make sure, from your first year with us, that
you will be given the opportunity to build important career skills and
gain work experience, to help you in whatever career you go on to
after graduation.

Cost of attendance

Click the link to read our Cost of Attendance Information and 2020/21 Cost of Attendance example.

Data protection policy

The University of Roehampton processes a range of information about staff, students and other individuals for a variety of purposes that underpin its operations. In doing so, the University is committed to upholding and protecting the rights of data subjects and complying with all relevant data protection legislation.

Eligible programmes

Undergraduate programmes can be found here:

Postgraduate programmes can be found here:

To be eligible for US Direct Loans, students must be studying a degree granting programme at least half time (i.e. undertaking at least the equivalent of 50% of a full time programme). Certificate and Diploma course are not eligible for Title IV financial aid. Students must be physically in attendance. 

Students undertaking a course via Distance Learning (or via any method involving telecommunications rather than physical attendance) are not eligible for Federal Student Aid. 

Please note that our Nursing courses and Undergraduate Business Courses with optional Business work placements are not eligible courses for Title IV financial aid.

A number of courses shown in the University’s Prospectus and under the course pages of our website are not available to International students on Tier 4 Student Visas. 

For a complete listing of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes available to students on Tier 4 Student Visas, please visit the International section of our webpages or contact us for further information.

In addition, the following programmes are also considered ineligible:

  • Undergraduate Programmes at Level 4 & 5
  • Foundation Programmes
  • UG Business Course with optional placement year
  • PGCE
  • Postgraduate Programmes at Level 7
  • MBA with placement year
  • Certification of Professional Practice, Learning and development
  • ‘Top Up’ Programmes
  • Programmes delivered at less than 50% of a full time programme
  • Programmes delivered through distance learning
  • Programmes with portions delivered by a partner institution that is not Title IV eligible
  • Programmes delivered in the United States

Please see

Equality and diversity

The University of Roehampton is shaped by its people who come from a diverse range of backgrounds. The University is committed to upholding equality legislation in the best way practical and has policies and procedures to ensure the University abides by legislation.

Health and safety

You can find useful information on how to stay safe and well during your time and stay at university here:-


This is defined as a false, incorrect, misleading statement made directly or indirectly to a student, any member of the public, an accrediting agency, a state agency, or the Department.

Misrepresentation includes ant statement that omits information in such a way as to make the statement false, erroneous, or misleading.

A statement may still be misleading, even if it is true on it face.

  • Nature of educational program - This definition applies to statements made by an eligible institution, the school’s representatives, or any ineligible institution, organization, or person with whom the eligible institution has an agreement to provide educational programs or those that provide marketing, advertising, recruiting or admission service. Misrepresentation includes the dissemination of a student endorsement or testimonial that a student gives either under duress or because the school required the student to make such an endorsement or testimonial to participate in a program.
  • Nature of Financial charges – Misrepresentation concerning the nature of an eligible institution’s financial charges includes but is not limited to false, erroneous or misleading statements concerning—offers of scholarships to pay all or part of a course charge; whether a particular charge is the customary charge of the course; cost of program and institutional refund policy if the student does not complete the program;
  • Employability of graduates - A school, one of its representatives, or a related party engages in substantial misrepresentation when it does so about the nature of its education program, its financial charges, or the employability of its graduates; availability or nature of any financial assistance offered to students; and the student’s right to reject any particular type of financial aid or other assistance.

Misrepresentation as defined by US Department of Education in collaboration with IEC. 

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The University of Roehampton is required, under US Federal Law, to confirm your attendance online through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).  We are required to submit attendance confirmation reports every 60 days.

Private loans

Eligible students are encouraged to apply for Federal Loans in the first instance.  The University is eligible to accept students with alternative private loans through Sallie Mae.  You can get further information here.

Each lenders loan programmes have different requirements. Be sure to check with your lender regarding the loan programme that best suits your needs.

Some US lenders offer private loans to residents of specific states. Please check that this also applies to Foreign Schools.

Refund policy

The Refund Policy is overseen by the University’s Senate Committee and all refunds are at the discretion of the University. 

Prior to consideration for any refund or waiver, all necessary withdrawal or interruption of studies procedures must have been completed by the student and the student recorded as withdrawn in the Student Record System. To claim a refund, requests must be submitted in writing to the Finance Department along with any

necessary supporting documentation. Any refunds due will be made by the same method as the original payment, with the exception of cheque payments, which will be refunded by Bank Transfer.

Where a student has other outstanding debts to the University, any refund amount due may be offset to clear the outstanding balance. No refunds will be given if withdrawing from or interrupting studies on non-degree courses. In the event of a student failing to complete a programme of study, other than in the withdrawal situations described above, all outstanding fees owed to the University must be paid and no refunds will be due.

If a student who receives Federal Financial Aid withdraws, interrupts for more than 180 days or drops below half time attendance from their course, the University will recalculate the tuition fee liability and a return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation will be carried out as determined by the US Department of Education guidelines. The amount the University and the student need to return is calculated using the US Department of Education Return to Title IV worksheets (R2T4). Any unearned funds received by the University will be returned direct to the lender and the student notified. If any loan funds are to be returned by the student, the student will be notified by the University and they should repay these funds immediately in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. 

Loans are returned in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidised Stafford
  2. Subsidised Stafford
  3. PLUS (Graduate or Parent)

Please Note: The return of Title IV calculations are regulated by the US Department of Education and cannot be altered by the University.

The University of Roehampton’s Fees Policy contains information regarding refunding of tuition fees.

When determining the return of Title IV funds the US Department Guidelines are followed.

Return of title IV funds policy

Click the link to read about the Return of Title IV Funds. 

Retention rates

Please reference the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) for further information

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy

The University’s Taught Degree Regulations sets out the standards for students at the University of Roehampton.

Information relating to the academic progress of US Loans Students and further details on how Satisfactory Academic Progress applies to US Loan students can be found here. 

Student financial aid information

Click the link to read our Student Financial Aid Information.

Student support services

Going to university provides you with the some of the most rewarding experiences you will have. But we know there may be times that you may need support, whether it is to talk through personal matters, manage a disability or health issue or seek external advice The University of Roehampton offers support services for those students with disabilities, learning and wellbeing needs.

Study abroad information

If you are considering studying abroad on a programme at Roehampton you must contact the Student Finance Office at to confirm that the exchange programme and the host institution are eligible for Title IV funding.

A student's enrolment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrolment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Title IV, HEA program. 

As a US student you will be unable to apply to a US institution as many of our US partner universities do not accept US applicants and more information can be found via this link:

Text book information and Library information

Your School/Department will provide information regarding required and/or recommended text books. Online reading lists are available for all students. You can view the services our library offer at

Withdrawal and suspension policy

Click the link to read our Withdrawal and Suspension Policy in Section 9 of our Student Fee Payment and Enrolment Regulations.

When determining the return of Title IV funds the US Department Guidelines are followed.

Additional Information

Addition information can be found at the links listed below.

University of Roehampton Corporate Information and Policies.

University of Roehampton Student Contract:

University of Roehampton Academic Regulations:

University of Roehampton Student Code of Conduct:

Contact Details

For further information, advice or support, please call the Student Finance Office on  +44 208 392 3090 during our office hours of 9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, via email at or if you are on campus, you can see us in the Richardson Building, Digby Stuart College.


Download Consumer Information 2020-21

1098T Form - The University is not registered with the US IRS and does not currently complete 1098T tax forms for its students.